Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
I want to go to Canada - BUT...
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 05:06 AM UTC
I have not been to Canada since 1985-6 my question is what with the friendly acts of terrorism and the subsequent crack downs on security - can one from the US go there without a passport like before or has all that changed now?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 05:23 AM UTC

Shaun
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 05:41 AM UTC
I have not had to have a passport to cross the Windsor/Detroit tunnel or the Ambassador Bridge. However you will need to have proof of citizenship and the more the better. A driver's licenses or social security card will not cut it. I generally carry my birth certificate and voter's registration
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
That's pretty much the requirement. Proof of citizenship, with more = better. I've had no trouble going over the Ambassador Bridge with my Military ID card, but keep my passport just in case. If you've got a birth certificate, voter's registration card and a picture ID to prove it's actually you, you should be fine.

I HOPE so! I'm planning to go visit Steve in Sarnia to pick up my barrels for the Missouri in a couple of weeks, going over the Blue Water Bridge.

Tom
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC
This had happen to us last year, we were going into Canada to do some gambling. We crossed over the Peace Bridge from Buffalo, NY and after looking at all of our ID'S we were sent into a inspection station. Long story short, the one guy we had with us had a D.W.I conviction. They took him into a small building, talked to him, then made him sign a compliance letter stating that he was told not to come back into the country. And if he was to be cought after signing this letter, he would be arrested. We were told that we could go on but he had to go back into the US. So we put Steve into the car and we all went back home. Kinda stinks but thats their rule.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
We were in the Naigara area in the early summer 2002. We walked, took a bus and drove into Canada with no problem and minimal questions We needed birth certificates to come home. On the bus tour, there was a kid from Spain who was an exchange student with his sponsor family. The company would not take him into Canada becasue he wouldn't be able to get back into the States.

Here's the official policy on travel.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This had happen to us last year, we were going into Canada to do some gambling. We crossed over the Peace Bridge from Buffalo, NY and after looking at all of our ID'S we were sent into a inspection station. Long story short, the one guy we had with us had a D.W.I conviction. They took him into a small building, talked to him, then made him sign a compliance letter stating that he was told not to come back into the country. And if he was to be cought after signing this letter, he would be arrested. We were told that we could go on but he had to go back into the US. So we put Steve into the car and we all went back home. Kinda stinks but thats their rule.

So your friend can no longer travel to Canada?
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
I remeber the same thing happened with Bob Probert a hockey player with Detroit and Chicago in the NHL. He had a DUI and drug use charge and would be allowed to go into Canada to play games but wouldn't be allowed back into the USA (so he never went on the road trip to Canada).

I think it is standard now for people with convictions on both sides of the border...

Cheers, Michael
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So your friend can no longer travel to Canada?

Thats true, he is no longer allowed in to Canada
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:44 AM UTC
So your buddy is so screwed. He can not ever get a job that has any business in Canada because he can't enter. That sucks.

BTW was his DWI issued in Canada or in the US?
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Guy's,
The rules are pretty simple really. If you have a criminal record of any sort you will not be given entry into either country. SO if your a Canadian with a criminal conviction you will not be allowed into the states. and the same is for an American with a any sort of Conviction. All you need to cross the border is a birth certificate and some sort of Photo ID. A Passport is the ideal thing but proof of citizenship is all that is needed. The more ID you have the better. HTH
Cheers,
Bryan
P.S.
Alex are you really gonna brave the tundra and polar bears for a few cuban cigars :-) :-)
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW was his DWI issued in Canada or in the US?

Alan it was issued in the US. If i'm not mistaken he said that it happened back in the mid 80's. So this only goes to show you that this stuff will haunt you for life.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:06 PM UTC
Usually something like that is not for life though.....

Even Bob Probert wasn't banned for life from entering Canada, I believe it was actually only for 5 or 7 years, as I believe that he has sence played in Canada. However that may have been a special circumstance where he is/was an NHL player. Some nobody may get stuck with banned for life. Which really.....for a DUI....is pretty stupid. Not to diminish a charge of DUI, which should be treated as a serious crime, but its not like he was convicted of murder, or theft, or even drug trafficing, he got caught drinking and driving....yeah its a big deal, but its not that big of a deal....like I said...he didn't kill anyone....(well I assume not).
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 02:58 PM UTC
Yep, i believe it's only for 7 years...... Or so i thought
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 05:26 PM UTC
Having just finished 3 1/2 years of dealing with the INS for permanent residency status, I can tell you that a criminal conviction (EVEN IF A PARDON HAS BEEN GRANTED) will bar that person from entry for life. There is however a provision for a judicial waiver if the correct forms are completed, the proper fee is paid, and you get the right INS agent and judge. (Sacrificing 2 goats at midnight on the full moon doesn't hurt either )

Luckily, I had nothing like that holding up my paperwork, just incompetent bureaucrats.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:24 AM UTC
OK, now that that was brought up... I rememeber hearing something on the radio..... about paperwork and some fees that may allow you to get into Canada anyway........
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 664 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 01:20 PM UTC
How can they deny Bob Probert access to Canada if he was born and raised in Canada?!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How can they deny Bob Probert access to Canada if he was born and raised in Canada?!

I don't think he was denied access to Canada. He could go back with no problem. However once outside the US he could not get back into the US.