History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Best book?
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 07:31 AM UTC
What do you guys think is the best book of military history, or even what you favorite?

Mine is Michael Howard's 'The Franco-Prussian War. Also my favorite memoirs is those of Baron De Marbot.

Ross
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
I can't pin it down to just one book, but I have a favorite as to best set of books. Morrison's United States Naval Operations in World War II. The 15 volume set. Although, as even Morrison admits, there were written so soon after the war that they contain some inaccuracies, as a general history they're hard to beat.

Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:11 PM UTC
I just finished reading 'Thunder Run' and must say that I was very impressed. The writing was very simple and easy to understand, and it gave a very vivid account of what our men and women in Iraq are up against and experiencing.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 03:05 PM UTC
the best 2 military history books i've read has got to be (the late) stephen ambrose's 1) citizen soldiers and 2)d-day.... followed by 3) the forgotten soldier.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:47 PM UTC
I haven't read all that many military books although I did enjoy "The Jungle Is Neutral" by Spencer Chapman which I read during my wasted youth. It's about the British guerilla forces that stayed behind during the Japanese occupation of Malaya (the name of Malaysia in WWII). Reading it kind of gives me a weird deja vu feeling.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 08:44 PM UTC
Just one book???

At the moment, it's 'Chars B au combat' as I am waiting for the day that we are overwhelmed with as many models of the B1bis as we have Tigers.

As an all-time fave, I would have to go with Ken Tout's 'Tank'.

Yeah, I know that's two. :-)
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hmm.... How long is a piece of string?

I would tend to go for entire series - 'Charles' Oman's History of the Peninsular war - an adventiure in itself getting each individual volume...

If i ws one book, probably 'The Recollections of Rifleman Harris'... Again I tend to go for series ...Jim
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would tend to go for entire series - 'Charles' Oman's History of the Peninsular war - an adventiure in itself getting each individual volume...

If i ws one book, probably 'The Recollections of Rifleman Harris'... Again I tend to go for series ...Jim

Do I detect a pattern in your reading habits Jim? How do you like the Sharpe novels?

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi, I've thought and thought about this question and after looking over what books I've collected down over the years I've come to the conclusion that there is no answer to it, as far as THE best book is concerned for me. Each and every book that I've picked up over the years, baring just a few 'bummers,' that ended up being donated to the local library the last time we moved, has had something special in it.

The only REAL problem is remembering all that I've read. A mental impossibility I'm afraid. Ha, ha!

Take care, Sgirty
ThorsHammer
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 01:36 PM UTC
I like Guy Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier. However, I also enjoyed Donald Kagans' The Peloponnesian War. I have a great many military history books, but those are 2 very good ones
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Abook I read in the early seventies called the Bamboo Jungle its about Aussie P.O.W. 's of the Japaneese cant remember the auther but it was a damm good read, maybe some of our oz friends know of it . Other than that Stephen Ambrose Citizen Soldiers.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
I really enjoyed the last book I finished. Panzer Operations; The Eastern Front Memoir of General Raus. It was a pretty informative book, no photos though. This book is a good chronology of the campaign as seen from Raus' position. It also shows a flaw in one of my Panzer Blitz 1941 Variant scenarios in which the game has the 6th Panzer Division come across it's first KV I too early. That's OK though, just change the date of the situation. :-)
Sumpfhund
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hmmm... Ask me the same question 6 months from now and I would tell you different, but I really Like Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad". Not too much technical mumbo-jumbo and lots of persona accounts. I read that book twice last summer.
Ryan