_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Problem with decals softener
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
I haven t used a decal softener before because i heard that it tend s to "wrinkle" decals.........does anyone face similar problems??? Any ways to go about it??
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC
I use the product Solva Set without any troubles. It does wrinkle when I first apply it but, after it dries those wrinkles go away.
A word of caution when using it, make sure the decal is placed exactly where you want it, (do not use the setting solution for placing it), and that the water you used to release it from the carrier has dried completely, before you use the setting solutions.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 04:00 AM UTC
I had that wrinkling problem with Micro Sol. It didn't go away The Micro Set works good though. I think it's best to use the Sol only when you are trying to get a decal to conform to a tough area, otherwise, just use the Set.

Nic
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 04:55 AM UTC
I use Solvaset also. It's scary, wrinkles the decals up real good, but once applied, let it work and all will even out.

However, I do tend to favor dry-transfers, and I use 'em whenever possible.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 02:08 AM UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions you guys gave so far........ But im still confused about using microset.........do u guys mean that it will wrinkle at first and then eventually turn out fine?? Does the amount that i use actually matter to the final result?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
I use all 3, Micro Set, Micro Sol, and Solva Set. I find that Solva Set is a bit stonger that the Micro stuff, so to me, it depends on the decals. If they tend to be real thin, use the Micro, and if they are thick, use the Solva-set.
Yes, it does wrinkle the decal. Sometimes, depending on the surface, you might have to use more setting solution than other decals. I've had decals take 3 or 4 applications of setting solution to snug down. Just let it dry between applications.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
I use MicroSol/Set. I do not let the water dry before hand. I'll lay some of this down before applying the decal. Ease it into place, dab any large amounts of water, then apply some more setting solution. Yes, you may see some wrinkling of the decal which can be quite scary (an "Oh crap!" moment the first time you see it.) You must resist the urge to correct this. It wil settle out and be nice and snug. Some of the earlier Monogram decals did not do well with any setting solution but I think they've gone past that now.
 _GOTOTOP