_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
DFW, Texas platoon Squadron Scale Fest
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 284 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 05:41 PM UTC
O.k. when and where are we gonna meet. I put in the schedule request so I'm definitely going to be off. Should we just meet at the show?? Maybe at the entrance?? When does this thing start?? Oh, and one other thing how much cash should I be prepared to spend?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:17 AM UTC
Andrew,
Spending cash depends on what your looking for. I usually bring an extra $100 on top of the model entry fee's. Now, if your going to go over to the Squadron wharehouse, thats a different story.
I suggest we all where something that shows our affiliation to Armorama, such as badges or shirts.
I think it was Jim who sent me a .JPG or the Armorama loga and I made a badge with my real name and my callsign. I will probably do that again.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
I just saved the Logo to my computer. If everyone that is or might go to Scalefest e-mails me with there real first name and there callsign, I will send them back a badge. I wont be able to do it this weekend because I have drill up there near you guys, but during next week and tnext weekend, I will have them done. Definately before Scalefest.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
Here is what I came up with. What do you guys think? I did this in Microsoft Publisher. What I'll do is print them where the name goes, blank, so you can right in your name. In case I cant make it, cna i send this file to someone so they can print these out for the guys?

RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 02:59 AM UTC
That sounds like a good idea. I was planning on buying a T-shirt maybe we should all do that as well? Put me in for a name badge and tell me how much you want for it and I can Paypal you.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 03:07 AM UTC
No charge for the badges (WE NO NEED NO STINKEN BADGES!!!!!!!!) Its like a couple of dollars for the badge protectors. Its nothing fancy, I'll just print them up at home and stick them in a badge protector. Just give me a list , lets say, by the end of April who will or might show up. If you dont go, no worry, there will still be a badge waiting for you.

Im still playing with the file, so this might not be the end product.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 03:41 AM UTC
Nice badges Pete! I should be going, unless something comes up to hold me back (I'm hoping roller hockey season will be over before scalefest, that depends on us getting rained out since we play on an outdoor rink). As coach, it would be hard for me to miss a game especially since a game at that point would be a playoff game. lol

Don't think I'll be going to Squadron that day, just the show and see what vendors they have there as well as see what they've got for displays there. This way I can drool and day dream of the day that I can be of the skill level to put something in a show.

Btw, does anyone know of a store in the area that sells the Windsor & Newton Series 7 miniature line? I need to get a 00 and 000 brush, after hearing all the highly positive comments about them.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
Maurice,

See if Discount Model Trains carries those brushes. They've got a lot of stuff but I've never looked at brushes. Their phone is (972) 931-8135. They are located at 4641 Ratliff Ln in Addison on the East side of the Addison airport.

Paul
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
Will give them a call and see if they carry them, these brushes seem to be the hardest things to find. lol
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
Moe,
I no Hobby Maker use to carry them. I dought it anymore! You might want to try Azel Arts. I cant remember where they are at though.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 04:59 AM UTC
Azel carries W&N brushes but the smallest they have is 0. I picked up I believe a 2/0 and 0 brush but want to get the rest of the real small ones for figures only 00 and 000. Man, these things are a lady to find! lol Thanks for the tips guys!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 05:07 AM UTC
Here you go Moe. If you cant find a local store, I found these web sights for you.

http://www.rexart.com/wnseries7wcbrushes.html

http://www.dixieart.com/FineArts/Winsor_and_Newton_Series_7_and_707_Brushes.html

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art-supplies/online/703/art-supplies/6

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~parentID~7931~categoryID~7910.htm

http://www.dickblick.com/zz058/87/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=6423
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 05:24 AM UTC
Thanks Pete, I was just doing the same thing when you posted that! lol I found this site: http://store.artcity.com/artist-supplies-brushes---related-browse-by-name---shape-round-winsor---newton-series-7-kolinsky-min.html and they have good prices with decent shipping costs.

I was going to order from aswexpress because they are dirt cheap but I was kind of turned off by the high shipping cost $10.95 flat fee. Kinda kills the savings you get on the brushes.
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC
O.k. once again guys when and where do you want to meet?
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 01:04 AM UTC
my name is billy for the badge

any word on meeting place and times? its on may 21st correct?

reb
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
hiya gang

any word yet?

reb
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 11:25 AM UTC
PETE.... I plan to be there come hell or high water.. for me go with Steve and Blaster.

I always wear my orange t-shirt with the Aligator (cherokee Charlie) on the back. I will bring some built models and put in display area . I usually put a piece of paper that says BLASTER"S MASTERS on it. Keith Magee usually gets a table, so find himand we can all collect out badges/nametags there, or by my models. I usually roll in btwn 10 and noon as I don't think the show starts until 10. The place ain't that big, so itshould be easy to run into each other if we all have something on distinctive. Why don't we send out PM,s the day before with what we plan to wear or mark ourselves to get notice the day before the show. I used to make a sign as to what kits I was looking for on a piece of cardboard and wear it around my neck when going through vendor area....saved a lot of time asking every dealer if they had this that or the other.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
I think we got a new recruit to join our festivities. Whistler one out of North Richland Hills. Recent joinee to Armorama had already made plans to go Scalefest
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
What's the vendor area like at this show? Never been to a model show before so I have no clue. Will there be good deals or will it be same prices as shops? Just curious, wife may come with me too as she likes looking at the work people do.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
It depends. You'll have some shops come down and stick to retail price. then you will have the guys who wil make deals and trades.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 08:55 AM UTC
Cool, deals will be for me. Hoping to score some braille scale kits cheap and anything else for a good price that strikes my fancy. lol
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 11:50 AM UTC
For buyng, The trick is, if you don't get the price you want, and unless this is a must have OOP rare kit....walk away. My view is, if they don't deal, I can get it on line with no tax and if you order enough the shipping won't choke you. Dealers usually have a section of the huge room with all the tables lined up in rows. The model competition areas are the same way. There are tons of categories for all types of models. THey place placards with a brief name and a category number and if you are competing put your model in that area. ADVICE: DON'T GLUE YOUR MODEL TO A BASE if its a dio that's one thing and for a ship that's fine as well. Admission price is usually around $5 but sometimes you can get a dollar off coupon. Entry price for EACH model I think is $5 but I haven't competed in 3 or so years so I don't remember. I know the Arlington show hands out medals and I think they charge a lot more.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 01:56 PM UTC
I won't be putting anything on display, I'll be just there to browse. I always do that with buying, if I think the price is too high then I'll just walk, it won't kill me to not get some kits that day.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC
just checkin in on the plan for meetin up next month.

anything new going on?

reb
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 07:40 PM UTC
I think we're in the recruiting phase. Trying to get folks from the lower Texas and maybe Oklahoma and Louisiana group to meet up with us. If anybody is unsure how to get there, PM me and I can give reasonable directions. It's real easy to find and there are excellent signs to get you there.
 _GOTOTOP