_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kiwi Korner
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Are you proud of your hobby?
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hi Guys and Gals

Are you proud of your hobby?

By that I mean do you keep your hobby to just yourself maybe family and your few hobby friends. Or are you open about it.

I quess I am the former.

Do you find it hard for people to understand your hobby?

How does everyone else handle their hobby in good old conservative New Zealand.

Regards

Fordboy
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 04:23 PM UTC
Hi Sean,
Its a bit different for me being a teenager. But I don't hide the fact that I model but I don't exactly shout from the hill tops that I build sc ale models. If some one asked me if I modelled I would tell them I did.
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC
I don't go around with a sign around my neck letting everyone know but I do tell people about my modelling if it comes into the conversation. Most people at work know as I will take books to read when I'm doing some research etc.
I have found that some people are quiet interested and ask all sorts of questions about construction, painting and weathering but I haven't managed to get anyone to come along to my local club or get into it yet.

Russ
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 04:15 PM UTC
Hi Guys

Andy I gave up when I was about your age coz I thought others including girls would perceive it as pretty uncool. So I reckon its worse for a teenager as you try to fit in etc.

Russ what a great approach. I have a friend from my work who I have taken along to AMPS and we have worked on his Tiger 1 etc. It is great to bump into some one like minded.

Thats what I enjoy about Armorama and this forum. I have been lucky enough to meet Andy 007 upon one of his trips to Auckalnd. A great guy.

Its so great to discuss and meet with fellow enthusiasts.

Anybody else?

Regards

Fordboy
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:21 PM UTC
Hi Fellas,...Im from your part of the world,.. been doing figures for some 30yrs,resulting in friends all over the world all participating at different levels,its funny standing at an international show talking to a bloke who dose not speak your lanuage but you know just what each other is talking about....So yes Im very proud of our art and talk about it to any body.
catch you later Phil Walden....ps.... Im 58yrs, seen many of todays big guns start out and belive me they all..... scratched their heads

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 02:27 PM UTC
Im definitely proud of scale modelling as a hobby. Coming from a military background, i naturally had an interest in military arsenal.

Its funny how my military background are conversation starters and eventually ends up with my scale modelling being the tale end of the conversation. My interest was rejuvenated when a fellow colleague of mine showed me all his plane models in his office and was hooked back onto scale modelling ever since.

Since then ive built the F14D Tomcat, B17 Flying Fortress before being more interested in armor. I tried my hand at building my first Sherman tank but was really worried about weathering it so it stayed clean as a whistle. It wasnt until i built my M1A2 Abram that i got a little brave and started weathering.

The answer is yes i would tell people i do scale modelling.
SSpanzer
Visit this Community
New Plymouth, New Zealand
entire network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:01 PM UTC
I know what you all mean iv started and stoped doing models mostley because the perants give me s**t about it "you should out doing normal teenage stuff" but i have started doing them again i do keep it to my selfs though.
-SSpanzer,
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 06:01 AM UTC
Big kia ora to all kiwiboys at Armorama.
Been living here in Belgium for 5yrs as a painter/decorator.Recently got back into models a few weeks ago and in the process of building my first dio in 10yrs.! I told one of my workmates and he seemed curious about it all and wanted to know what i was making.I told him a few vehicles,solidiers and a ruined house for a dio.
Also said about eventually trying to wallpaper the interior walls...that's when he asked if i had micro paint brushes,sandpaper and rollers.He started to mimick that he was trying to wallpaper an imaginary miniature wall.Bloody funny!Not ashamed of my hobby but keeping it on a need to know basis!Cheers guys, Shay
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
Welcome to the site Shay Whats it like to be a kiwi living in Belgium? What models do you buiild?
Next year I am heading over to England for 6 months then plan to pop across the channel to europe :-)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 04:25 AM UTC
Welcome to the site Shay!

Yes the many mockings are an abundance arent they...especially from the ones that dont understand our world. :-)

Im sure being a painter, you would know quite a bit of tips and tricks of the trade but im sure you will still learn stuff from some of the guys here.

_GOTOTOP