History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
WW II American Strategy
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 03:02 AM UTC
Was the American Strategy of a Europe first then Japan correct? Did we actually follow through?
DJ
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Was the American Strategy of a Europe first then Japan correct? Did we actually follow through?
DJ

Yes and Yes.

The American public was quite unhappy with Roosevelt after Pearl Harbor. Many wondered why bother with Germany at all. There were plenty of people who weren't very concerned with 'Europe's War' before or after Dec. 7. What Roosevelt did, actually, was delcare war on Japan via Germany. Many Americans were furious and there was quite a lot said about this decision. We don't really hear about it now, but politics were important then too...

And, the real focus in 1942 was on Europe. In some ways, the Japanese were unchecked in the Pacific at first. The U.S. also needed time to build its fleet. Once the Germans were on the way out (OK, I don't want to start a war here, but the Allies were thinking of post-war Europe in 1943 when the Russians started kicking ass) the focus would be Japan.

Steve
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:16 AM UTC
I believe as far as Army Air Corps and Army ground forces, yes. As far as Navy and Marines, no. Of course the Marines gave us an advantage in the Pacific and would have been wasted in the Atlantic (other than some garrisons such as Iceland). they were much more useful in the Island hopping campaign and did not have the mobility or doctrine on land for a European war.

With a strong British Home Fleet, the requirement for US heavy carriers, battleships and cruisers was greatly reduced. Their was also only minor play for US subs in the Atlantic and Med. The US provided, eventually, heavy anti-sub forces and eventually older BBs for shore bombardment (Arkansas and Texas specifically). Several CVs were involved in North African invasions, but other than reinforcing Malta, land based aircraft from Tunisia and Algeria replaced the US CVs in Med.

Early in the war in the Pacific, US heavy bombers were in short supply with B-18s filling in for Alaska, Panama, US West Coast and Carribean. many older fighter types were also put to service in the Pacific - P39/P400, P40, P38, while initially priority for P47 & P51 went to Europe. You saw a lot of medium bombers, which could conduct hit and run, low altitude raids on Japanese shipping and airfields, especially in MacArthur's campaigns. B-17s were not as useful, partly due to small numbers in Pacific, but also due to lack of availability of suitable airfields and small bomb loads over long distances. They did work out of Australia.

Shipping played a big role in determining where US forces went. Buildup in Britain was very slow early, and forces were retained in Western US until Japanese invasion scare faded. Intially US formed Pacific Army forces from assets already in place in Hawaii, Samoa, Phillipines with some reinforcement from CONUS.

I believe that as long as sufficient air power and naval power was available in Pacific early, US had to concentrate on supporting England in Europe. Trying to invade the UK, from the US to get a foothold in Europe would have been costly and required massive carrier support (England was our biggest aircraft carrier of the war).

Kind of rambling, but in summary, the US needed to fight Europe first , and did support to best of ability with Army assets. We had plenty of space to trade in the Pacific.

Jeff

Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ

Yes. Why? because it was in our national interest to do so at the time. Joint planning by Army and Navy staff prior to the war conceded that our primary interests were in the Atlantic. We were/are? northeast US-centric. In 1938/39, a US Navy Captain on the war plans staff went to England for talks with the Admiralty. In short, they agreed that the Brits would 'cover' the Atlantic thus freeing the US fleet to operate in the Pacific. Prewar planning emphasised a "strategic-defence" in the Pacific and a strategic-offence in the Atlantic. We planned on occupying British and French holdings in the Atlantic to forward deploy our forces ergo, carriers and fleets weren't necessary.
Prewar planning discarded the idea that Japan would/could actually invade the USA. They wanted raw materials. We were willing to sacrifice territory and possessions in the Pacific until our fleet could be mustered, then we would drive west across the Pacific and the whole thing would culminate in a giant sea battle somewhere near the home islands (with a US victory of course). I'm not saying it was morally right to abandon our Pacific rim allies notably the Phillipines - I am saying we determined that it was in our best interest to do so and that is what drives nations to do what they do.

Cob
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What Roosevelt did, actually, was delcare war on Japan via Germany. Many Americans were furious and there was quite a lot said about this decision. We don't really hear about it now, but politics were important then too...
put quote text here

Not sure I follow this? First, Congress declares war not the President. Congress declared war on Japan as a result of the attack on Pearl. If you mean to say on Germany via Japanese actions in the Pacific, you are not quite correct, Germany (Hitler) declared war on the United States on Dec. 11th. Roosevelt asked, and was granted, for a declaration of war in return. Perhaps this was Hitler's greatest blunder, it certainly ranks among the top! Already in the throes of a war that was rapidly expanding beyond the scope of initial planning and meeting disaster in Russia, trying to subdue a defiant Britian, propping up a shaky ally in the Med. and now to declare war on the world's greatest economic and manufacturing power. That has got to be about the stupidest move in the history of politics.

Rick Cooper
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What Roosevelt did, actually, was delcare war on Japan via Germany. Many Americans were furious and there was quite a lot said about this decision. We don't really hear about it now, but politics were important then too...
put quote text here

Not sure I follow this? First, Congress declares war not the President. Congress declared war on Japan as a result of the attack on Pearl. If you mean to say on Germany via Japanese actions in the Pacific, you are not quite correct, Germany (Hitler) declared war on the United States on Dec. 11th. Roosevelt asked, and was granted, for a declaration of war in return. Perhaps this was Hitler's greatest blunder, it certainly ranks among the top! Already in the throes of a war that was rapidly expanding beyond the scope of initial planning and meeting disaster in Russia, trying to subdue a defiant Britian, propping up a shaky ally in the Med. and now to declare war on the world's greatest economic and manufacturing power. That has got to be about the stupidest move in the history of politics.

Rick Cooper

Rick--you raise an interesting point. The last time the Congress declared war was in 1941. We fought Korea, Vietnam, etc., without a declaration of war. The Constitution lays the responsibility for declaring war squarely upon the Congress. Follow-on question..."Should the Congress declare war prior to the commitment of troops?"
DJ
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:18 PM UTC

If you really want to do some interesting research, find out about the power that leaders of 'democracys' had (Roosevelt, Churchill) compared to that of the fascists and socalists (Hitler, Stalin, etc.). I think you will be surprised on what the role of the congress was during the war. I think it would also be an interesting lesson as to what is happening in the world today.

Did Hitler have a choice about declaring war on the US? You think he was happy about what the Japanese were doing?

My point about going to war with Japan via Germany is valid. The plan was to finish off the Germans and then deal with the Japanese. That doesn't mean Japan was to be ignored. Roosevelt would have been at war with Germany sooner if there had been support...

Steve
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you really want to do some interesting research, find out about the power that leaders of 'democracys' had (Roosevelt, Churchill) compared to that of the fascists and socalists (Hitler, Stalin, etc.). I think you will be surprised on what the role of the congress was during the war. I think it would also be an interesting lesson as to what is happening in the world today.

Did Hitler have a choice about declaring war on the US? You think he was happy about what the Japanese were doing?

My point about going to war with Japan via Germany is valid. The plan was to finish off the Germans and then deal with the Japanese. That doesn't mean Japan was to be ignored. Roosevelt would have been at war with Germany sooner if there had been support...

Steve

Certainly food for thought as we reflect upon the Administration's attempt to deal with Iraq short of a Pearl Harbor type event. Is the current congress abrogating their Constitutional repsonsibility?
DJ
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
DJ raises a very good question ,one that faces us currently.Should Congress be required to declare war before the President can use military force against another country? My feeling is yes. OTherwise we run the risk of becoming the bully on the blockno different from Saddam who bush is in a rush to topple. I f you think those facilities are manufacturing NBC weapons bomb them, destroy the infrastructure but who runs a country is perview of the citizens of that country no matter how much we detest them. I wouldn't want Europe deciding Bush Was a pain so lets take him out. WE'd be at war faster than I could say the word. So yes I think Congress needs to declare first Other wise any one with a ax to grind who's president could start somthing we really didnt want. After all It isn't GW whos gonna be humpin the boonies. So the decision needs be made by more than one person

Josh WEingarten
aKa shiryon
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:57 PM UTC
Steve,

I misunderstood your meaning in your earlier post. I thought you were saying that Roosevelt used the attack on Pearl Harbor as a casus belli to declare war on Germany.

I don't know if it is totally correct to compare the amount of power to act among heads of state. Roosevelt and Churchill, while certainly having wide-ranging powers, had clear cooperation among their nations political leaders. They were not without faults and the systems were not without flaws, but they were clearly still democracies that only governed with the blessing of their citizenry. Some of the others had what I would call "or else" power, you do what I want or else your in the gulag or a camp or in a grave.

Without delving into current events, clearly this invention of Congress granting a resolution on the use of force seems to be a de facto declaration of limited war. One of the nice things about the Constitution is that it is a living document that can be interpreted, stretched, and changed as needed. Well okay, I guess that can be good or bad, depending on your point of view!

Rick Cooper
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,

I misunderstood your meaning in your earlier post. I thought you were saying that Roosevelt used the attack on Pearl Harbor as a casus belli to declare war on Germany.

I don't know if it is totally correct to compare the amount of power to act among heads of state. Roosevelt and Churchill, while certainly having wide-ranging powers, had clear cooperation among their nations political leaders. They were not without faults and the systems were not without flaws, but they were clearly still democracies that only governed with the blessing of their citizenry. Some of the others had what I would call "or else" power, you do what I want or else your in the gulag or a camp or in a grave.

Without delving into current events, clearly this invention of Congress granting a resolution on the use of force seems to be a de facto declaration of limited war. One of the nice things about the Constitution is that it is a living document that can be interpreted, stretched, and changed as needed. Well okay, I guess that can be good or bad, depending on your point of view!

Rick Cooper

Rich--the question remains "should Congress declare war before troops are committed?"
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC
DJ - I beleive that Congress is not performing their collective job by not reining-in the past presidents since 1941. With the exception of self-defense, such as shooting matches between our Mediteranean Fleet and Liyba during Reagan's era, or such as rescuing Ambassodors such as the Boxer rebellion, should be Congress' call. But if you go back in history you will find plenty of cases where US Presidents have fought wars without a declaration of war: All of the so called "Banana Wars", fought mostly by the Marines all over Central America and Carribean, were never declared.

Congress did try to rein in Nixon during Vietnam by not approving any funding for the war. When Nixon reallocated other existing funds to continue teh war, Congress gave in.

Congress is generally gutless on this subject!

(I believe the spelling is "Musashi")
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ - I beleive that Congress is not performing their collective job by not reining-in the past presidents since 1941. With the exception of self-defense, such as shooting matches between our Mediteranean Fleet and Liyba during Reagan's era, or such as rescuing Ambassodors such as the Boxer rebellion, should be Congress' call. But if you go back in history you will find plenty of cases where US Presidents have fought wars without a declaration of war: All of the so called "Banana Wars", fought mostly by the Marines all over Central America and Carribean, were never declared.

Congress did try to rein in Nixon during Vietnam by not approving any funding for the war. When Nixon reallocated other existing funds to continue teh war, Congress gave in.

Congress is generally gutless on this subject!

(I believe the spelling is "Musashi")

Jeff--many thanks for the spelling correction. I wish this had an automatic spell check. I believe Musashi went down via about 16 air launched torpedoes during the Battle of the Philippine Sea. Back to the other point. Let me expand the question to the group. You are correct in that the Congress has declared war far fewer times than we engaged in military activities. The precedence set is that they can go either way. So, does a declaration of war make sense anymore?
DJ
mkctanker
Visit this Community
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:53 AM UTC
I'm alittle confused here, as I understood it through the axis agreement Hitler declared war on us after Pearl Harbor. Now some say he had no reason to go through with the agreement with Japan but I believe Hitler knew America would enter the war in Europe sooner or later so why not start sinking the convoys to England now while the wolf packs were still strong and getting stronger. While America was still unprepared for war he had a better chance of knocking us out if we were fighting a two front war as well.

mkctanker
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 08:31 AM UTC
We definitely did follow through on a Europe-first strategy. Recall that for two years prior to Pearl Harbor, our relations with the Axis powers were deteriorating. The US embargo of oil and other materials to Japan was considered then and now to be a de facto blockade and an act of war. But no over hostilities folowed immediately. Contrast this to the Atlantic, where Roosevelt declared what amounted to a Maritime Exclusion Zone everywhere west of Iceland and committed the US Navy to hunt U-boats in those waters--all long before war was declared. It seems to me that FDR was aggressively pursuing a policy calculated to get Germany to declare war, but rather passively pursuing that with Japan. And it worked to perfection. We declared war on Japan ONLY after Pearl Harbor; it wasn't until Hitler declared war on us three days later that we reciprocated and put the Europe-first strategy into practice. Had Hitler not declared war first, it might have been tough to get a declaration against Germany in the immediate aftermath and anger surrounding Pearl Harbor. Just a thought..
Greg
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 08:32 AM UTC
Stupid fingers. I meant to say "Overt Hostilities"....
Greg
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm alittle confused here, as I understood it through the axis agreement Hitler declared war on us after Pearl Harbor. Now some say he had no reason to go through with the agreement with Japan but I believe Hitler knew America would enter the war in Europe sooner or later so why not start sinking the convoys to England now while the wolf packs were still strong and getting stronger. While America was still unprepared for war he had a better chance of knocking us out if we were fighting a two front war as well.

mkctanker

Hitler's fleet of U-Boot had already sunk ships in North Atlantic way before the Pearl Harbour, and in 1941 the U-Boot arm actually as not that strong. Hitler himself got rather pissed up when Japan attacked Pearl Harbour.
currahee
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:29 PM UTC
On the topic of U-Boats in the Atlantic mentioned by Greg, one of the most colossal failures at the start of WW2 was the inaction (some say criminal) of Navy Brass, particularly Adm. Ernest J. King, of not implementing proper 'blackout' procedures along the East coast and deploying a credible anti-submarine force. This allowed the U-Boats of 'Operation Drumbeat' to roam at will and sink ships using the lights of cities to sillouette and mark their targets. This period of victory along the eastern seaboard and among allied convoys, called the 'happy time' , did not last long, due to advances in radar, use of Navy blimps and aircraft of the U.S. and RAF Coastal Command - but tragically, as so often happens in war, only after missteps caused the deaths of thousands of sailors and merchantmen.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the topic of U-Boats in the Atlantic mentioned by Greg, one of the most colossal failures at the start of WW2 was the inaction (some say criminal) of Navy Brass, particularly Adm. Ernest J. King, of not implementing proper 'blackout' procedures along the East coast and deploying a credible anti-submarine force. This allowed the U-Boats of 'Operation Drumbeat' to roam at will and sink ships using the lights of cities to sillouette and mark their targets. This period of victory along the eastern seaboard and among allied convoys, called the 'happy time' , did not last long, due to advances in radar, use of Navy blimps and aircraft of the U.S. and RAF Coastal Command - but tragically, as so often happens in war, only after missteps caused the deaths of thousands of sailors and merchantmen.

You know that brings up an interesting point. The government delayed the blackout decree in part because it did not wish to unduly alarm the citizens. The aversion to causing a panic is laudable, however, it also points out that any government does not want to flash its vulnearbilities before the enemy. In the case of the blackout, we erred. Are we going down this same road with regards to the war on terrorism?
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 06:05 AM UTC
For most of the time that we went without a blackout along the east coast we were a "neutral" country It was a heavily-leaning neutrality, though
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For most of the time that we went without a blackout along the east coast we were a "neutral" country It was a heavily-leaning neutrality, though

Jeff--good to hear from you. Do you have anything to indicate how long after the attack on Pearl Harbor we decided to blackout the coastal cities?
DJ
2CDO
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
Have you guys heard that in ww2 during the battle of the bulge that the 1 Can Para could have saved/ or help out the American 101 Airborne in Bastone when they were cut off
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 06:16 PM UTC
That's what some of the veteran Canadian paratroopers said when interviewed to go along with the showing of Band of Brothers here in Canada. They said the Americans wanted Patton to be the one to do it. Of course, the 101st didn't believe they actually needed to be "saved" in the first place (which is why you put "help out" I imagine). I don't know any real info on it, but I guess the vets would no best if they were in a position to get to Bastogne or not.

Nic
2CDO
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 03:17 AM UTC
Well the Canadians could have fought their way into Bastone and given the Americans ammo and winter clothing so the Americans could have only thought about fighting the Germans instead of bot the Germans and the weather
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well the Canadians could have fought their way into Bastone and given the Americans ammo and winter clothing so the Americans could have only thought about fighting the Germans instead of bot the Germans and the weather

I am mystified by this discussion. I assume we are speaking about the Canadian airborne forces. If I am wrong please tell me. In September of 1944, they are pretty well decimated at Arnhem while serving with the British 1st Airborne Division. I do not think they had the forces available to do anything after that debacle. Next, even if they were in some sort of combat ready state, Bastogne is located well below thw 12th Army Group/21st Army Group boundary line. Someone would have to divert a considerable amount of transportation to get them into place. Who was going to do that. There is also the problem (dare I say insurmountable obstacle) of logistics....the Canadian Army is a British equipped force. The British artillery, small arms, radios, fuel etc is incompatible with American equipped forces. How are you going to keep them supplied? It is not even a nice idea to cross boundaries with incompatible units. Lastly, the constant dint that somehow General Patton controlled American strategy is preposterous. The guy was a subordinate commander who despite the bluster of the movie "Patton" did what he was told to do. And, I am assured that no one in their wildest imagination would have suggested this as a viable option.
My two cents take a shot at me if you want.