_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kiwi Korner
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
NZ's Best Modelshop
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 03:35 PM UTC
Hi Everyone

What do you consider in NZ's best modelshop and why?

I know throughout NZ there are some great shops and it would be nice to know about some of them.

I know about most in Auckland but there is a whole lot more out in NZ.

Regards

Fordboy
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hi Sean,
My two favourite model shops in NZ are Acehobby in Birkenhead Auckland and Bay hobby supplies in Greeton Tauranga. Both have excellent selection and brilliant service.
What does every think about setting up a database of NZ hobby shops?
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 08:17 PM UTC
Down here in Chch we have Acorn Models, they have a a pretty good selection and the guys that work there are great.
Another shop that I would recommend is Modelcrafts and hobbies in Wellington, exellent selection and service.

Andy I think your idea of setting up a database is great, there are so many shops out there that most of us don't know of.

Russ
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 08:28 PM UTC
That was my train of though too Neil, there are lots of shops but very few are online.
If anyone is interested send me an email with a list of hobbyshops in your area with phone numbers, email addresses and websites where possible and I will collate them by area.
TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 08:36 AM UTC
Andrew,you will find some model stores here
http://www.toymod.co.nz/kyosho/
and here
http://www.bringans.com/retailers.htm
hope that helps

acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
Guys,

I'd be very interested in finding out more about local hobby shops - I'm in Auckland and have visited Hobby City on Quay Street, Modelair in Newmarket and there's another two on Great North Road, Grey Lynn whose names escape me...

Any information on others would be appreciated - and I do think the idea of a database is a good idea.
We could contribute impressions of the place, helpfulness of staff, range of stock etc.
That all sounds quite subjective, but often that's a better way to go.

Having just moved to Mt Eden, I'm slowly getting it together with a modelling room - of course, since I must share this with my wife's need for her hobby space, this is taking some time...
Plus she's never been exposed to the heady rush that exposure to modelling chemicals brings on, so I'll probably find myself relegated to the shed.
So now I'll need to get a shed...

acav out

TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 10:49 AM UTC
ACAV
The stores in Grey Lynn are Hobby Direct and Acorn Models.The only major store in Akl you have missed is
Ace/Kangs hobbies in Birkinhead;well worth visiting them.
BTW Modelworld in Henderson closed last week.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 03:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats never good to hear
Its good to hear you are going to be up and modelling soon acav.
Now is anyone any good with website building? I think all we need is something basic where we list the model shops then have room for people to comment about the site.
What do you all think?
CJ_Mahoney
Visit this Community
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 06:36 PM UTC
Ok Andy007

I owned a web-design company here in Christchurch NZPROWEB

I sold it a few years back. What do ya need to know
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 07:41 PM UTC
Just the person I am looking for CJ,
I am pretty useless on computers. I was thinking about maybe having a map of NZ and you clicked on a certain area eg Auckland or Waikato and it came up with a list of hobby shops in that specific area. You then click on the hobby shop and it comes up with info on it like location, website, phone numbers then under that there is room for users to post comments about the shop in relation to selection of kits, service and such things. As acav said it maybe subjective but in NZ that is what we need. It may even change the way a shop conveys its self.
Is that a viable thought CJ?..........If anyone else has a suggestion please feel free to comment.

P.S CJ, I am not sure how much this will cost. Is it able to be done on a free server?
TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC
Andrew,what company is your internet connection through,?you might have a free website you can use,
I know xtra and ihug do.With xtra you also get a message board where comments could be posted.But I will leave it to the expert (CJ) for the best advice,BTW he has done a bang up job on some new logos for the RCTC.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 08:24 PM UTC
We are with Clear not too sure what the deal is there. But CJ will let us know what the best way to go is.
CJ_Mahoney
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 10:21 PM UTC
Not a problem Mate
check you e-mail
CJ_Mahoney
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 05:38 PM UTC
Is this what you were looking for )

http://militaryrc.tripod.com/nz_map.htm

All I have active is Christchurch and Auckland so give them a click.

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 06:17 PM UTC
Thanks CJ,
Thats perfect exactly what we need. I will be able to get all the data togather about the hobbyshops.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ACAV
The stores in Grey Lynn are Hobby Direct and Acorn Models.The only major store in Akl you have missed is
Ace/Kangs hobbies in Birkinhead;well worth visiting them.

Here's an All Points Bulletin - one the shops in Grey Lynn (I believe it's Acorn Models) has a Closing Down Sale sign in the window.

I stepped inside hoping to pick up a bargain or two and managed to spend over a hundred bucks on bits and pieces - got an AFV Club M38 w 106mm RR finally, but missed out on the Sherman suspension set

Nothing much is dramatically reduced but if 20% off Tamiya and Dragon floats yer boat, get on down before they shut the door and go online only.

Me, I prefer to browse and ponder and look at the box and contents before buying a kit, so I guess Hobby City and Ace/Kangs are my best hope, with Newmarket's Modelair coming a close third...

acav out
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 01:50 PM UTC
Its always a pity to hear about Model shops closing, specially in New Zealand when we have so few.
TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 04:53 PM UTC
The Mrs mentioned she saw a closing down sale sign at Acorn, I logged on here to ask if it was true,but I see its already been answered.
Is the CHC store staying open? The reason I ask is that its mentioned they will be a web only store, and that poses an interesting question about a couple of major nz suppliers/importers in that they have a policy that they will not supply web only businesses,you have to have some brick and mortar based sales, or no dice.
russ
Visit this Community
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:10 PM UTC
As a fairly regular visitor to Acorn Models I have to say I have seen no indication of them closing their doors for good and I have heard nothing through my local modeling club about it either.
Infact they are providing some sponsorship towards the IPMS NZ Nationals, god bless em, so I would have to say they will be staying open for a while yet at least.

TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
Thanks Russ. Since the owners live in CHC and there is no real competition there, as opposed to a fair bit of competition in Auckland, that makes sense.
Nev
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As a fairly regular visitor to Acorn Models I have to say I have seen no indication of them closing their doors for good and I have heard nothing through my local modeling club about it either.
Infact they are providing some sponsorship towards the IPMS NZ Nationals, god bless em, so I would have to say they will be staying open for a while yet at least.

I popped into Acorn the other day and spoke with the owner whom assured me that they arent closing down all their shops, just the one in Auckland ni Grey Lynn. Their online site and shop in CHC is definitely staying open. Still bad news for Aucklanders though.

If you guys want the best deal, just wait until Hobby Direct starts another sale. I couldnt believe my eyes when they had a 50% off everything in stock!! I ended up purchasing the 1/35 British Challender, Humvee (Desert Version) and M113A2 for less than $100. The only down side of Hobby Direct is their selection and when there is no sale, they do charge crazy prices. Same goes for Hobby City although they hardly have any sale. Good selection but just too high a price.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hi Guys

Sad to hear about shops closing esp Acorn.

John at Hobby Direct is pretty good and it was real good when the other John was there as he was into his military stuff.

In my opinion Ace and Modelair are the best around. My favourite haunt is Ace just coz its down the road.

Regards

Fordboy
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 12:11 AM UTC
Here's the obvious question though...which of the shops around here generally sell their models cheaper?

I know for a fact Hobby City on Quay St wont be at the top of this list.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hi Jazz

I believe in my limited opinion Ace are pretty fair on price overall. Great selection and good prices.

I think Andy will agree after I got him to check it out.

Regards

Fordboy
USMarine
Visit this Community
entire network: 475 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 09:33 PM UTC
down here in christchurch acorn models is the best by far and we also have ironhorse hobbies.
 _GOTOTOP