_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Anybody else having trouble logging in?
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
Allcon,

I have been having a very difficult time logging on to the site. I did send a note to someone from another direction without having to be logged in, but it takes 15-30 minutes of trying to get in. And to get to this page took almost 5 minutes of repeated trying. This has been happening more and more lately also. I have a cable modem, so speed is not the issue(and I can hit the site very quickly, just not the log in). Thoughts?

Tracy
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 08:41 AM UTC
I must admit that it is taking a LOT longer lately for each page to initialise. This is a site issue, as no other site I visit takes this amount of time. Just Armorama. I worry that this might actually deter people from visiting the site as frequently as they used to, there has been some discussion lately about some people feeling that the site is not as busy as they are used to?

Vinnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC
Well I did just this past hour remove the off-site visitor tracking element that was down at the bottom of the site. This was slowing page loads considerably.

I am just not sure by what Tracy means by "logging" in. Do you mean just bringing up a page or the actual act of logging in as a registered user? If you just mean page load times then I would think there is something more than just heavy traffic to blame for those long load times. Situations do vary from ISP to ISP though. However generally speaking if your ISP is not doing DNS (domain name service) caching then all the sites you visit would generally be slow. However that is not to say that they might be only DNS caching their top sites visited and not our domain. This would result in a performance drop.

Ironically you are about as close to the server as most get (being that it's located in Atlanta Georgia). So if I am not having a problem today getting the site to load in less than 5 seconds then I don't see why you would.

Do you see a diffference now that I stopped using the site tracking element in the footer?

Thanks,
Jim
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I must admit that it is taking a LOT longer lately for each page to initialise. This is a site issue, as no other site I visit takes this amount of time. Just Armorama.

Hi Vinnie

That's a bit scary - I haven't noticed any difference between Armorama and other sites - are you logging onto the .co.uk or .com site? I do hit times when all sites are slow, but re-connecting to the internet usually fixes that.

Al the best

Rowan
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
Rowan, I have noticed this happening over the last few weeks. Reconnecting (or re-booting i.e. broadband) seems to make no difference.

Vinnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
Vinnie,
I would try flushing your cached files to make sure your pages are current. Then I would also check your browser settings to make sure that you have it configured to "automatically check for updated pages" and not set to either "never" or "always". If you use IE then this setting is under Tools :: Internet Options :: Settings button.

So no difference in the past hour then?

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:29 AM UTC
Also for the record can you give your system specs...

Windows/Mac?

Operating System?

Browsers?

When a page is taking a long time, try this trick also. Click the STOP "X" icon on your browser. Then whatever is left onscreen (white page?) right-click and do a VIEW SOURCE. The HTML the page was loading should be there. If you find the last bit of it and paste it here it might tell me what your system or connection is choking on. Or if it's completely blank that is another issue.

Thanks,
Jim
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:31 AM UTC
From my perspective pages are loading much faster since you removed the counter.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
Tracy,
That same tip (in my post above) would go for you. Try that and paste any observations here.

Chuck - Thanks...glad it's helping.

Thanks,
Jim
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
Jim, just been timing it, average time for me to see a page is 11 or 12 seconds. Sometimes it fails, and this is only with Armorama....no other site?
I'm running Windows XP, on a pentium 4 with 2Ghz processor and 512Mb RAM. I have service pack 2 installed. Haven't seen any improvement at all over the last couple of days.

Vinnie
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:34 AM UTC
Jim, just tried that..its

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=latest_dynamic

Vinnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
Vinnie,
I ammended my post above with a tip you probably missed because you were composing your reply already. Try that and do it when the page stalls. Obviously there is something specific to your settings, ISP, or element on page that your system hangs on. There is probably nothing wrong with your system, it's just a glitch. A perfect example of this is my wife installed some Audio software at home that is set as the default sound app for internet files. But alas the free trial period ended, so everytime at home I have a PM and the .wav/mp3 file tries to load, it stalls the page because this stupid ap is trying to figure out whether the trial period has expired. Ugg....

Thanks,
Jim
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
Vinnie - Is the "Firewall" in SP2 running ? You may wish to check the settings, also may want to check SP2 "Pop-Up Blocker". MicroSoft is nice to protect us from ourselves but SP2 can slow things down.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:41 AM UTC

Do you have that page bookmarked? Because if you do that is why. There is a detection script on that page to prevent bookmarking. It works most of the time but again a setting on your pc is probably not redirecting you to the proper warning page that says "don't bookmark this page".

The page you should be trying to reach is:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=latest

Jim
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:42 AM UTC
My speed increased after doing a disk cleanup, and a defrag.
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:52 AM UTC
Jim,
its this, probably pasted too much, but there was a lot there!

HOME    AIRCRAFT    ARMOR/AFV    DIORAMAS    FIGURES    WARSHIPS  my account  |  members  |  about us  |  contact us  |  help  |  search  

Edit: Hmmm....there was a lot of html code, and above is what happened when I pasted it.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:59 AM UTC
Are you using the "Dial Up" theme/focus choice?

I think I know what is stalling it. Some people (or os/browsers) seem to have trouble with really long or large database queries. The one in question is the Country pull-down list. I have been thinking about ways to flatten or even remove this to another page, so I will look at that tonight when I get home.

Thanks,
Jim
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
Thanks Jim, by the way, what is the dial-up/focus thingy?

Vinnie
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Jim,
It seems to be much quicker now. I have just right-clickedand viewed "encoding" which was not on automatic, but on "western Europe ISO", when i set it to automatic, things became much quicker, could this have been the problem? It's not something I have ever touched before?

Vinnie
Anonymous
entire network: 260 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 08:18 AM UTC
every time i try to LOG IN, i get a message saying LOG IN ERROR. I confirmed my password ,but it still won't work.
 _GOTOTOP