_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Instruction Sheets
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC
We talked about this briefly a while back, but I thought I'd address it again.

I keep all my old Instruction sheets in a series of loose leaf binders, one for armor, another for cars, aircraft, sci-fi, ships/misc. I have those clear pocket document protectors and slide a few in each pocket. Some attempt is made to keep Tamiya with Tamiya, WWII German together, etc. but when I know that I have built a kit before, all I have to do is look through a particular binder for the sheets.

I do the same for decal sheets too, but all sheets are in the same binder and divided by tabs labeled like 1/35 armor, 1/72 aircraft, etc.

It's a relatively simple and inexpensive way to keep track of the instruction sheets. A binder runs about $3 at Wal-Mart and the document protectors are $3 for a pack of 10 or so.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 04:11 AM UTC
Another one of those excellent ideas Rob. My wife and I just picked up two of the stackable plastic file-boxes from K-Mart for $5 each! They're big too...15"x15"x24". Along with some folders, it's set to put all sorts of things in em. (Mine is for model things) lol
For the decal sheets I've always just placed them in zip-lock baggies to protect em from the attack of the unknown...spills and who knows what else.
Wish I had remembered the protectors while we were there though...next time. Good idea Rob.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
You two are soo...military

But when things are needed I'm sure you're the first to find them. Then again I don't have the number of items to file like you do. But good ideas never-the-less.

Sabot
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the decal sheets I've always just placed them in zip-lock baggies to protect em from the attack of the unknown...spills and who knows what else.

Yes, I place extra kit decals in zip-lock bags and place them in the document protectors too. Keeps the little bitty ones that are separated from the main sheet from getting lost as well as from being damaged from the spilled drink.

I've got a lot of junk to keep track of Brian!
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
As time goes on, I am finding myself understanding that I am basically the only modeller who doesn't have a lot of stuff but I am working on it!! My wife and I had one of those little talks yesterday about this subject... "Do you really have to buy another modell, when are you going to finish the other ones?" Yes is the only answer that works :-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 06:40 AM UTC
During my first 10 to 15 years of modeling, I threw away the instruction sheets when the kit was finished. Man, it hurts when I think back of that !!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Do you really have to buy another modell, when are you going to finish the other ones?" Yes is the only answer that works :-)

Brian, I feel your pain! My wife was the same for quite some time. As long as she sees me building and progressing through the models, she does'nt seem to mind the collection growing. Heck she even let me get the above mentioned box for the smaller kits and supplies.
Good luck over there convincing her...soon she'll see it your way. LOL
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 06:00 PM UTC
Brian,
there's one mighty argument that stops all discussions :
"a husband who's modeling isn't out on the street, drinking in bars or chasing other women... !". Make sure you don't make that sound as a threat, though !
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
Jan,

Thanks for the tips, but if I said that they would really begin to wonder. I don't drink
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 09:12 PM UTC
Brian, you could always say it like this: "If I can't buy that model...why I...I'll just go...it'll lead me to drinking".
Just kidding...never try this at home!
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 09:19 PM UTC
For the record I put my foot down pretty hard on this subject!! I told her what was going to be done in this and future situations like this!

And you know what she did!! She passed out, she was so suprised (after falling off her chair laughing, she hit her head...no really just joking)

No we communicate pretty well - even in this area, but I think she would have a lot more to say if I did need to build a new home to house all of my un-built kits. Wouldn't that be heaven...
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... she would have a lot more to say if I did need to build a new home to house all of my un-built kits. Wouldn't that be heaven...

Oh ! You mean kiTs ! First time I misread that for kiDs !!!

:-)
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC
Just to add,
I put my decals sheets on an unexpensive photo album, the kind that comes when you reveals a film...and the instructions sheets goes as Sabot said....
BTW: the wives are the same, no matter what country they lives, I think it only changes the names they are called for hehehehe!
Cheers
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC
Yes Paulo, when I picked up the Type 90 and Seaview, my wife sarcastically commented, "How lovely, another tank model."
I had to inform her I had never had this type of tank model before.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 05:33 AM UTC
As I said Rob, only changes the names and address
But I keep modelling and buying kit and books, I guess the only thing my wife doesnīt complain is when I buy a paint or any other supply, itīs necessary and it doesnīt last forever (for most stuff itīs true...)
Cheers!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 07:34 AM UTC
O.K. a little bit of confession time here,plus a funny bit.
The confession part is that I have ben taking my new model kits straight over to my storage locker and stick them way in back... Eventually she'll catch on, but the impact will be lessened because she'll not know JUST how many kits are the new ones (fingers crossed here).
The funny bit is that I used to buy them at the hobby store and then just leave them in my work truck until I had an opportune moment to 'sneak' them into my study. Problem with this became that apparently some local kid stumbled onto them lying in the truck somehow and would take them ocassionally! Son of a gun got a couple of computer games that way also
Just goes to show, when you start to weave the infamous 'tangled web'......

Tread.

Always

P.S. Now that I'm spending money on research material, my job has become easier. Those just fit right on the shelf!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 11:11 PM UTC
Guys--I tried to find the forum group that discussed storing unbuilt kits yesterday to no avail. Can you let me in how and where you store the kits to be built? I have them in every nook and cranny in the basement. The problem I shudder to consider is warping and damage to the boxes. Appreciate any tidbits.
Thanks
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC
DJ - I have kits stored in the hobby room like you'd find in any old hobby store. I call it the ready rack, because these are kits I'm working on - or will be soon. In the closet I have another stash - intended to get moved to the ready rack as I finish others. The bulk of the model storage is away from the Condo - I rent a 5x10 storage locker. I've never had a problem with mildew, heat warpage, or anything else over the years. The only thing I might do that helps is I put my model kits into plastic tubs. The large kind like you'd buy at Target, with a plastic lid. That helps to keep dust and gross amounts of moisture out of the model kits. Now, I live in California too, where the climate doesn't go through severe seasonal changes like it did growing up in Cleveland. I also lived on Okinawa too - same thing. Snow and freezing cold might have an impact on my method of storage.

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC
DJ,
It was titled "How to stock unbuilt kits" so I re-titled it "How to store unbuilt kits". Look in the Latest Posts and select the last week setting.

There is also an older topic we had going back in January. Try a search on that one.

Jim
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 11:50 PM UTC
Jim---Gracias
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 11:52 PM UTC
Gunnie--I can see where Target and WalMart consider you a valued customer.
Thanks
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie--I can see where Target and WalMart consider you a valued customer.
Thanks
DJ

Absolutely - best place to buy Tupperware - other than Tupperware :-)

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP