Discuss general weathering topics here.
Pastel confusion!!!!!!
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 284 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 12:23 PM UTC
O.k. I head to my local Hobby Lobby today to pick up some pastels like I have read about here and the myriad of choices confused me!!! Oil pastels, soft pastels, semi-hard etc. What the hell do I need??? I thought they were in powder form but all I saw is sticks?? Please advise guys I need your help
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 12:49 PM UTC
The art store pastels you want are the chaulk ones. These you can test yourself if the box they are in is not marked cleary. If you can scratch them with you finger nail and produce some powder, you're in business. Otherwise they are the oil ones which are no good.

There are other "versions" of pastels that are pre-powdered from Mig and MMP, though they cost more but are a more refined powder than what you can normally produce with the art store pastel sticks.

I use a piece of 220 or 440 fine sandpaper to make my pastel powder. Fine enough for me.

HTH
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 01:37 PM UTC
Another option is Carried by Micro-mark.. called Doc O'Briens Weathering powders. Its a set of 12 colors for about $20.. more pricy than chalks but they come ready to use and are very finely ground.. Much finer than the pastel chalk powder I make myself.

I don't know how they stack up with mig powders as I havn't used those yet. overall I think they are a bit cheaper than mig's.

Also with pastel chalks it gets messy making your own poweder so be sure to do it over some scrap paper.

Most craft stores also sell very small plastic containers for painters. I know A.C. Moore sells one that has a snap on lid for .19 cents.. very good for keeping your powder till ready to use.

one last thing. Pastel chalk powder is mixable just like paint to make custom colors.. I mix up the chalk powder with a toothpick till I get it blended together..

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 11:31 PM UTC
The place where I bought mine, they call them soft pastels, some call them chalk, but most call them soft cause you can scratch the powders off them easily.

You can tell they come in rectangular tubes that look like pieces of chalk, the earth tones, and gray tones are what you need.

Alpine imports is where I bought mine, they have a link on the home page if your interested, they sell pretty cheap for the both sets.
Kerry
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
agreed..i use the dry chalks..scrapping them wif a knife..in fact the dry ones are smoother than the oil chalks
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 04:03 AM UTC
I scrape mine with the edge of a #11 blade into one of those little condiment containers you get with Chinese take out. The powder is contained and by varying the pressure, I get to control how fine the powder is. You can also blend colors, much as you would with paint.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 11:39 AM UTC
As long as you don't get the Oil Pastels, I think you would generally be OK with them. The ones I use are called "Soft Pastels" and I got them at Michael's.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:16 PM UTC
i use the mig pastels.
but thye are like 4 dollars a jar.
so if i get 4 jars its like 16 dollars.
so just get the Doc O'Briens Weathering powders.
they are a 3 dollars more and they come in more colors. plus they last a long time.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC
I use MMP powders, Mig pigments, Doc O'brians, as well as artist pigments. These can be had at a good art store, come in small vials, and are ment to be added to oils or what not to mix ur own paint. The can be used just like anyother mdeia for weathering.
 _GOTOTOP