Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Hypocrite
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC
I am a hypocrite. I abhor cigarettes, cigarette smoke, 2nd hand cigarette smoke, the smell it leaves in your hair, clothes. Blah, blah, blah. I, however, LOVE - absolutely, positively ADORE a well made cigar. For me, a good cigar is like a good meal or a glass of your favorite alcoholic beverage. I am smoking one now as I "work". How messed up is that. :-)
FNC1
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 04:24 AM UTC
When I used to serve, there was nothing better after a good Section attack then sparking up a good Cuban (my poison of choice was Habana Coronatos) while my 2ic was doing ammo-cas. Man...that was just about perfect. I can still smell it just sitting here typing about it! Ive been off them for years, but still occationally get the odd craving, which thankfully, is easily drowned in beer

Cheers
Keith
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 04:46 AM UTC
Alex,
I do not consider you a hypocrite, I feel the same way about cigars vs. cigarettes. I honestly believe they are miles apart in terms of quality, taste, etc, etc....
I always love a good cigar.
Which cigars do you smoke?

Sean
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
Alex,

I'm with you. I abhor cigarette smoke but I love a good cigar. I was traveling to central America in 2003 and i was able to enjoy Habanas then. My cigar of choice at the moment is Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion #3. I buy them by the box and the boxes get used for storing spare parts, paint, etc.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
-obviously no cubans... I am particularly fond of Macanudo, CAO, La Gloria Cubana, Fonseca, AVO, & Ashton. Those are the brands I smoke regularly anyways.
Right now my humidor is stocked with Macanudo Hyde Park & a few La Gloria Cubana Series R # 5 Maduros (oh yeah).
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 06:01 AM UTC
The funny thing is I HATE smoke from fags but the smell from a pipe or cigar doesnt bother me at all
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
I feel the same about cigs (my wife smokes them) and pipes. I've been off my pipe for 3 years, but get the craving on a regular basis.

Chuck
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
I feel the exact same way. I love a good cigar but absolutly dispise cigaretts and the filth they create.

I think that the response that I'm seeing is due to the fact that cigars have an aroma. Cigaretts blaintantly stink.

Vadster you're not a hypocrite, I always wanted to open a bar/restaurant that bans cigaretts and only allows cigar & pipe smoking.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
I must throw my thought in here as well. I do smoke cigs and opposite of the others, I can't stand the smell of cigars, but can tolerate a pipe.

As far as a hypocryte? Uhh, yeah...
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
Cigarettes stink. Plain and simple. And the odor carries over to the smoker's clothes and surrounds them. I used to share an office with a genuinely beautiful woman. She'd walk by my desk to hers and you could smell her 6 feet away! There were times when I was still going to church that I had to move because someone would sit in front of me reeking of smoke.
I'm also prejudiced because both my parents died of respiratory complications and emphysema. (COPD) Not a pretty way to go.
Maybe some cigars are aromatic, but most of the ones I smell are quite heavy and noxious.
Most pipe tobaccos are blended to be quite pleasant to the nose of the person near you, though some of the most pleasant, Cherry Blend, IIRC are quite harsh to the taste. (I smoked a pipe off and on in the 1970's and threw away more tobacco than I used.)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC
Being an X-smoker, I cant stand the smell of ciggs now either .. but some cigars can smell OK. The pipe has always been a fav of mine ... never smoked one, but never moved away when one was lit up either. I tried cigars a few times, but I inhaled and it nearly made me puke.

5 years of the fags and still getting cravings for them!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

5 years of the fags and still getting cravings for them!

Just a word of cultural caution to my Queen's English speaking brothers...the term "Fag" on this side of the pond is a very derogatory term for a homosexual man.

Those of us who lived through the British invasion of the mid-60's will certainly recall the term as you use it, but others might be confused at what you're saying! :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 02:23 PM UTC
Donīt worry Al, I know what the word means in the US. But fags is commonly used in Ireland/UK for ciggys.
In the context of our conversation .. It should be safe enough. :-) :-) :-)