_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Push Drill Pin Vise
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi, I'm curious about whether anyone uses one of those pin vises with a spiral shaft and collet for drilling. If so, why do you prefer it over a standard pin vise?

-Neil
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 11:44 AM UTC
Do you mean like one of these?

I've seen em before but, not quite sure of the control I'd get from it. I don't think I like the idea of pushing it into fragile plastic with it's required pressure to spin it. Do you have one?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 09:53 PM UTC
I used to use this type when I was working with wood. I do not favor them due to the lack of control and the extra pressure required to actuate the drilling.
I considered this type when I moved to models and decided against it due to the fragile nature of the plastic/material.
My work style is slow and methodical and it more suited to the standard style.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 10:40 PM UTC
It depends on the material. I'll use it for Thick plastic & wood otherwise I use a "plain" pin vise

Matt
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 08:54 AM UTC
Thanks, I was worried about control issues. I don't have one, but I may see if I can find one at a local hobby store and persuade them to let me try it out on some scrap. I checked the photo I saw of one in a magazine, and it is being used to drill a pretty hefty piece of styrene. It would be nice to have a pin vice which could be clamped at proper angle to the part and then delicately twirled.

-Neil

p.s. With this post I made Lieutenant! Thanks all for the good advice I've gotten here over the last few months!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC
I used to have one of those, ages ago. In most cases, it is outperformed by a dremel or another electric tool, though.
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
I decided to take the initiative on my idea for a pin vise-holder. I already had a precision collet holder with a 1/8" shaft. I drilled a 1/4" rod to hold a 1/8" shaft and drilled and tapped it for a set-screw -- making a custom 1/4 pin-vise with a smooth, true shaft. I just happen to have a small piece of steel with a 1/4"x1/2" hole in it. Now I can put my custom 1/4" pin-vise through the hole in the steel, clamp the steel piece in a vise, and clamp the part to be drilled in a second vise, in proper aligment to the pin vise bit. Now the vises and the collet will hold the angle precisely while I apply pressure to the pin vise and twist to drill the hole.

-Neil
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you mean like one of these?

I've seen em before but, not quite sure of the control I'd get from it. I don't think I like the idea of pushing it into fragile plastic with it's required pressure to spin it. Do you have one?

Ummm, I've used this type of hand-drill for the last 15 years or so without a problem. Don't know what you guys are talking about. I use it with one hand, though, and not the two-handed method. I secure the cap (end) of the drill on the pad of my finger to stabilize and direct it, and I spin the chuck with my thumb and finger finger. Used properly, pin-vises are great tools for precision drilling.

Gunnie
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
Thanks, Gunnie! That's the one I saw a picture of. Micro-Mark sells them; too cheap to pay shipping on for one item, I may add one the next time I order a batch of other stuff.

-Neil
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:32 AM UTC
I have a pin vise and dremel. I find that I use a hypodermic needle more than anything for drilling plastic. It takes little pressure and you can make any sized hole.

Patrick
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:50 AM UTC
I picked up a 'manual' pin vise two days ago... It's a lot easier than using nothing but the bit itself to drill a hole!

BTW, what is the correct pronunciation of 'vise'? Is it like 'mice' or 'wise'? I need to know...

Gunnie, what were you drilling on your FM X-wing? Or was it just in the backround of the pic?

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I picked up a 'manual' pin vise two days ago... It's a lot easier than using nothing but the bit itself to drill a hole!

BTW, what is the correct pronunciation of 'vise'? Is it like 'mice' or 'wise'? I need to know...

Gunnie, what were you drilling on your FM X-wing? Or was it just in the backround of the pic?

YodaMan

YM, I drilled out the Laser Cannon Tips with my pin-"mice"...

Gunnie :-)
 _GOTOTOP