History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Auschwitz (sp?) anniversary
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:41 AM UTC
For those who don't know, today is the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp.

The commander of the Soviet force that liberated the camp is 92 and living in the US and was able to attend the memorial service in Poland and spoke of the incident to those assembled. 4 other soldiers serving under him were also able to attend.

There was a large discussion about how the incident (and WW2) in general is in the process of going "from memory to history", with most of the survivors of the war are quickly dieing out. I thought that quote was quite profound. Many of my friends in modelling are very informed when it comes to WW2, with them knowing someone or related to someone who was affiliated with the war in some way, usually a veteran. But that same amount of knowledge does not extend to WW1 that was only a few years before. WW2 is in memory, WW 1 is in hisotry.

Just my $.02
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
As a student of history I often ponder things most seem irrevalent - In 5 years most if not all WWI veterans will be gone. In 20 years most if not all WWII veterans will be gone.

Sad to think that the last living connections to history will be gone forever. That's why it is so important for the living to teach the coming generations of the horrors of the past, give evil a name and make sure the young understand why - not just dates.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
We will all go from memory to history at some point in the future.