_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Which Dremel?
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 04:44 AM UTC
While at the local retail store I noticed there were two different models of Dremel tools, one that you plug in, the other was cordless. With a twenty buck price difference-- which one would be better for a model builder? I noticed one had a higher rpm, I dont wanna get one thats gonna melt my plastic!

Sean
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC
Sean - I use both - but you're right about the electric version's high-RPM.

I mounted my electric Dremel in the Dremel Drill Press and it works great for that purpose.

I use the battery-powered Dremel for working with plastic and resin parts. I love this tool! It might sound expensive to have both, and if I could only choose one - it would be the battery-powered Dremel.

Gunnie
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:05 AM UTC
Great, thanks Gunnie

Sean
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
I use 3 different dremels (makes tool changing a rare occurance) However, if you can only settle for one, try to get one that is variable speed. That way if you need the high RPM's you got em'!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 07:05 AM UTC
I have both also.
If mobility isn't a requirement then I would go corded so you don't have to worry about recharging.

But like the other guys - if you can swing the $ go for both you WILL use them both.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:10 AM UTC
I have a number of Dremels and a Foredom, frankly if you have the bucks get a FOREDOM Click here you'll rarely use a Dremel after that. I like a flexshaft on a Dremel, it allows a lot of control and to get into the small areas. The new 400XPS series is nice and come in 2 kits a 51 and 71, the first is around $70 and the other around $100. The Foredom runs about $250 but has foot speed control and a 1/8 horse motor, the thin line handle is another $50 bucks, but well worth the money. I guess the thing to be gained in this thread is you can not have to many moto-tools.

Dave
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:42 PM UTC
I use a varible speed one, with a separate speed controller, and a flex shaft.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 01:09 PM UTC
I have a flex-shaft also and rarely use it. Not a big fan of it really.

bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ohhh, i hate corded dremels. They never have the power i need, and batteries never last long enough.

personaly i would get a variable speed, with the highest/lowest RMP speeds possible (ex- 5,000 to 36,000). But be ware with high RMP's , most bits you use are not made for those speeds, thus it's dangerious to use them at max RMP (always read the max RPM for any bit).

I think you mean cordless doesn't have the power you need right? Don't confuse the boy! :-) :-)
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 02:55 PM UTC
I read in one of the Osprey Modelling Manuals that the
Dremel Mini-mite (cordless) used on it's low speed was best for plastic. I got one and really like it. In fact I gave my corded model away.
Just one old guy's opinion.
Chuck
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
Wow! I kinda figured this tread was dead, then I come back today with my morning coffee and BAM! tons of posts and info! Thanks everybody I have a better idea now...and unfortunately I have alot more choices to think over :-)

Sean
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC
Another tip: Stay away from off brands such as harbor freight and homier. I bought a Homier a year or so ago as a backup, haven't used it very much and the other day, the switch goes bad! It says lifetime warranty so I will have to look into that, but I have found that all of the accessories that come with it (sanding drums, cutting wheels, etc.) do not last nearly as long as the Dremel brand.

Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 12:34 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

Have you ever heard of Proxxon?

Cougar
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 03:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

so now i'll be looking for a good brand of dremel, btw what are some good dremel tool brands again?

Dremel is the brand name.

http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 04:09 PM UTC
I have had my Dremel tool with the Flex shaft for years. I use it for alot of things around the home and modeling. I wouldn't ever buy another brand. I just saw the 400XPR in Hollow points post and I know what my next tool will be. I also want to get one of the scroll saws. The uses are endless!
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 05:17 PM UTC
I recently bought a PBX.. It's a 'dremel' like tool, 130 watts, variabel speed ( 8.000 - 30.000) and comes with a stand and flexshaft and comes with about 103 bits and pieces. Price....£ 14.99 special offer at homebase ( a large diy store in UK)
Havn't had a change to really try it, but first impressions are o.k. If it turns to be a dud, the accesories are worth the price anyway..

Cheers
Henk
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 05:52 PM UTC
I only have one and it's the corded one and the change of RPMs helps alot for all sorts of needs from a cutting tool to fine detail sanding and it comes in handy when that putty or seam filler is a little pain in the butt and you just have to just kick it into high gear and boom your done and that hard sanding is done in seconds then turn it down to low or use regular sand papper or file.

I made my own sanding discs from testers sanding film. I just measured around the polishing disc and cut the sanding film with a little extra at the width and glued the two over lapped ends and you have a great sanding discs and it's faster. Because that extra width is flexable like a regular hand sanding would be.

Happy Modeling
(++) 1:35
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you ever heard of Proxxon?

I guess that's a no

http://www.proxxon.com/

http://www.sell-it-easy.de/proxxon/english/

Cougar
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 02:54 PM UTC
Now if somebody would like the more power with a 29" flex shaft, Dremel still makes the heavy duty #732, I forget what the number is but I seen the complete kit number with everything for around 220 bucks, foot controller, and of course the shaft stays with it, that is the only way it comes, and I think the holder for the motor, 1 hand piece, and collets.

But it included one hand piece to, now them get expensive, they got 3 to choose from 1/2", 3/4", 1" and I think they run between 50 to 70 dollars a piece depending on which one.
 _GOTOTOP