Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hi guys,

For me, not only books, movies and fieldtrips give inspiration for scale modelling. Games give this inspiration too, and I also like to game very much.

I've made a webpage about the game called Soldiers: Heroes of World War II. The game has already been released in 2004, but still it's one of the best games I've been playing since it's release.

This is already on screenshot to get your interest. The whole story I made for you guys can be found here

Screenshot:

I use my captured Panther tank against a German occupied house

Please leave any questions and reactions in this thread! I hope you like it!

Greetings,
Martin
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
I have that demo, it is a very exciting game. If you guys want a realistic, WWII,stratedgy game. get this game. I dont know though. I dont think they really got slaughtered by the numbers like that... But then again i wouldnt know that.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Well it's realistic in some ways. For instance shooting buildings to ruble looks and feels very real. The fact that frontal armor is harder to penetrate then rear armor is realistic. The fact that a Sherman has a problem when facing a Tiger alone is also realistic.

Using 75mm Panther grenades in a 75mm Sherman barrel.....I don't know if it's possible. Also, German fuel sometimes gave problems to Allied engines. The fact that you can fix every knocked out tank that didn't blew up and use it after that, isn't very realistic too....but it is fun! Especially if you can get your hands on a Tiger or Panther, which are very nice tanks....

I don't see the non-realistic things as a problem. The game looks and feels very realistic, and it's cool that you have to watch your ammo and fuel, and that you can use ammo from knocked out enemy tanks.

I recommend this game to all of you!

Oh btw Harrison...did you liked the webpage I made?

Greetings and thanks for the fast reply!

Martin
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 09:09 PM UTC
I've been playing that game for months. Finished it around 3 times already on various difficulty.

About the realism, well, you call pull out 75mm shells from a Shermie and put it on the Panther. Any tank that has the same calibre can be interchanged. Also, the MG in the tank can be replaced. Whenever there is a .50 cal available, I swap it for the MG-34 on the Tiger

Quoted Text

Also, German fuel sometimes gave problems to Allied engines.

Never had this problem. What's the problem with Allied engines with German fuel???

Quoted Text

Especially if you can get your hands on a Tiger or Panther, which are very nice tanks....

Try to grab the Tiger II, T-34-85 and/or JS-2. NOW that's COOL!

Care for an online game? :-)
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Never had this problem. What's the problem with Allied engines with German fuel???

Quoted Text

Especially if you can get your hands on a Tiger or Panther, which are very nice tanks....

Try to grab the Tiger II, T-34-85 and/or JS-2. NOW that's COOL!

Care for an online game? :-)

As far as I know, Germans used an sort of fuel which caused problems in some of the Allied engine's, I've forgotten the name of the fuel though. You can compare it with using gasoline in a diesel engine. Doesn't work too good either. (btw, this is not in the game, this was in the second world war itself)

And an online game....why not! I bet I can kick your ass with a StuGIII when you're using a JS2 (the StuGIII is so fast in this game, and the turret of the JS2 turns a little slow....I think I can out-manouvre you and shoot you from the side! One good shot from the JS2 and I'm finished though heheh)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as I know, Germans used an sort of fuel which caused problems in some of the Allied engine's, I've forgotten the name of the fuel though. You can compare it with using gasoline in a diesel engine. Doesn't work too good either. (btw, this is not in the game, this was in the second world war itself)

Well yes. In real life it is, in the game, they use the same ole fuel

Quoted Text

And an online game....why not! I bet I can kick your ass with a StuGIII when you're using a JS2 (the StuGIII is so fast in this game, and the turret of the JS2 turns a little slow....I think I can out-manouvre you and shoot you from the side! One good shot from the JS2 and I'm finished though heheh)

Lmao :-) :-) :-) I am happy with the Calliope Shermie. Gimme about 2 weeks. PC is still being repaired at the shop I also wanna try the coop game. It sure sucks when you play the mission alone
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lmao :-) :-) :-) I am happy with the Calliope Shermie. Gimme about 2 weeks. PC is still being repaired at the shop I also wanna try the coop game. It sure sucks when you play the mission alone

Coop sounds like a good idea. I like this more than a deathmatch or something like that....I think the level I described, Minefields, is an exellent level for this, as you start with two shermans....we can use one sherman each! Oooh I see some nice gameplay now already.....taking panzerkampfwagens out together!

Give me a sign once you're ready for this mate! :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Coop sounds like a good idea. I like this more than a deathmatch or something like that....I think the level I described, Minefields, is an exellent level for this, as you start with two shermans....we can use one sherman each! Oooh I see some nice gameplay now already.....taking panzerkampfwagens out together!

Give me a sign once you're ready for this mate! :-)

Hey hey! I like that too and all German missions (cause you got a tank) :-) Calling lestweforget!!! I'm pushing that dude to get one too :-) :-) :-)
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 206 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 11:21 PM UTC
looks like panzers: phase one or combat missions. i think the best strategic game settled in ww 2 is sudden strike (with some addons) and close combat.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

looks like panzers: phase one or combat missions. i think the best strategic game settled in ww 2 is sudden strike (with some addons) and close combat.

Give this game a shot. You'll see a huge difference
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 01:26 AM UTC
doesnt said it looks bad, but i dont like these 3 d games. im more that command and conquer guy lol (kane rulez the fu**ing world )

but if you want a real good tank simulation try
Panzer Elite

Panzer elite

its some years old but very realistic and so on

Panzer elite 2

bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 01:56 AM UTC
Looks like I may have to get this one! Lookls like much fun!

Quoted Text

As far as I know, Germans used an sort of fuel which caused problems in some of the Allied engine's, I've forgotten the name of the fuel though.

How right you are Martin! The fuel that you refer to is a synthetic one. German scientists were able to manufacture gas from coal.

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
so this fuel problem was only in the late war? when the german had to use alternative fuel?

oh and. Soldiers is more like Commando's, while Codename: Panzers (which I also have) is more like C&C...100% RTS.

Panzers is a very good game too btw...
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 05:09 AM UTC
never played it, just saw the pics...
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

so this fuel problem was only in the late war? when the german had to use alternative fuel?

Actually, just the opposite. They were using "alternative" fuel as early as 1934, and by 1937, German chemical company I.G. Farben was given the go ahead to increase it's synthetic oil production to 300,000 tons per year. It probably became more of a problem later in the war not being able to get the synthetic fuel as production was most certainly slowed by allied bombings and increased pressure as the Reich was crumbling.

Sorry to get the thread off topic. Looks like a fun game!

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually, just the opposite. They were using "alternative" fuel as early as 1934, and by 1937, German chemical company I.G. Farben was given the go ahead to increase it's synthetic oil production to 300,000 tons per year. It probably became more of a problem later in the war not being able to get the synthetic fuel as production was most certainly slowed by allied bombings and increased pressure as the Reich was crumbling.

Sorry to get the thread off topic. Looks like a fun game!

Ok thanks for the info! Don't mind about the off-topic thing, I've learned something new and it was about the game too so actually I don't think it was off-topic!

Still, nobody give his/her opinion on the website I specially for you guys (and girls :-))

http://www.webevolution.nl/atlantikwalcheren/soldiers.htm

Quoted Text

doesnt said it looks bad, but i dont like these 3 d games. im more that command and conquer guy lol (kane rulez the fu**ing world )

but if you want a real good tank simulation try
Panzer Elite

Panzer elite

its some years old but very realistic and so on

Panzer elite 2

LOL graphics are also important to me....gameplay needs to be good, graphics need to be up to date....this looks a little....outdated :-)

Greetings
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

German scientists were able to manufacture gas from coal.

Sorry to be pedantic :-) but I take it you mean 'petrol' or benzine, as gas on this side is not the liquid type as you call it across the pond. .

Quoted Text

Yes the main problem hitting Germany regards fuel production was the loss of coalfields, first in Russia and then in the Vogezes (? spelling) in France.

Henk
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:25 AM UTC
yeah but not all games need good graphic, remember zelda 4 example. play still fallout 1and 2 or duke 3d. and this weekend i finished doom 2 again. graphics doesnt mean good game and bad graphics doesnt mean bad game
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Themadmax I have to ask you to refrain (Stop) from using swear words. That type of language will not be tolerated. thanks for your attention to this.
Cheers,
Bryan
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC

Driving my Tiger trough Viller-Bocage. A destroyed M4A2 can be seen next to the Tiger. It's the 222 Tiger from Micheal Wittman

And more Allied casualities....A Sherman, Cromwell, Mathilda, M3 halftrack and willys jeep are destroyed by my Tiger and pzkfw.

TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC
looks really good, think tis will be my next game
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 11:54 PM UTC
Just a little while me and Davy boy (lestweforget) done a small round of the game. It was awesome! Playing along with your teammates rocks! The game is quite slow due to some of the laggy players. So Martin, wanna play online?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a little while me and Davy boy (lestweforget) done a small round of the game. It was awesome! Playing along with your teammates rocks! The game is quite slow due to some of the laggy players. So Martin, wanna play online?

Yeah sure! Just got to format my computer this week, but after that I'm in for a game. Drop me an email or message!

Greetings
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 664 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
Martin, good work on your website too!