Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Attention Gamers! Your opinion is needed!
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 01:32 PM UTC
Ok not to start a which is best battle, but I have a simple question. Which is the best (in your opinion) military style game for a gamepad. I play BF 1942 but I'm not a great keyboarder and have yet to get the gamepad to do what I want it to in the game ... so instant death when I us a pad.

So which PC game (FPS type game) works best with a gamepad like a Saitek P2500 Rumble which is what I'm using.

TIA
Dave
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 11:29 PM UTC
1.Call of Duty: United Offensive
2.Medal of Honor
( dont like it cause its too much ehm you know 1 american defeats the whole Wehrmacht)

3. Try Close Combat
its not a FPS but a strategic game whgich simulates everything in battle like moral, fear, friendship and so on. every soldier there has its own name, unique characteristics and a lot of actions which he can perform like scavenging, surrender, sneak, ambush, throw grenades back and so on

Close Combat 5
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the input, I play a lot of CIV III which it a little like CC turn based and managing your people. Thought I'd try a FPS even though I don't reall y have time. set down and play games.

Dave
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hey 1Shot, I hate to say it, but for FPS on PC utilizing the keyboard in some way, shape, or form is almost essential (people have done it without, but those are generally those gamers that are good at anything no matter what they play )

However, FPS built for the consoles (Xbox & PS2) are easily playable with those controllers, but for me they still lack the precision of a keyboard and mouse. Games for the console like Halo and Rainbow Six however have made those console versions much more console friendly, such as adding a wider reticle for you to aim with, etc.

I was the same way as you when I started to play FPS - I only knew how to use a gamepad and was TERRIFIED of even trying to use the keyboard. However, with a week or two of "training" on a simple shooter (BF42 might not be the best game to learn the keyboard and mouse with), I quickly learned and haven't been back to a pad for my PC. Learning the keyboard and mouse combo is like learning to ride a bike in that you never really forget how to do it.

Also, you may not necessarily need to learn to use the keyboard for FPS with an FPS. Generally, many games use the AWSD keys for movement including 3rd-pers action/adventure (Splinter Cell) and RPG's. If you do want to take a shot at learning, try checking out a non-FPS game if you find you're getting frustrated.

Good luck!

BT
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:42 AM UTC
Well, Rainbow Six 3 was the one that I cut my teeth on to learn the mouse and keyboard. It incorporates an aim-aid system where as you learn the controls and get better at them, you can rely less on the computer automatically setting the reticle on target. If you buy that game though, get the gold edition set with both the standard game and the Athena Sword expansion pack. It adds much more playability in terms of maps and weapons. Halo may also be another to try in that aiming is more of a "get close and hold down the trigger until the little bugger goes down" type of control, which might make it easier to get down the controls without needing extreme accuracy. That and of course it is absolutely a blast to play.
Kyle
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 04:25 AM UTC
hehe played also a lot of civ 3, even playe in my childhood civ 1. but now iam in bf 42 (since 2.5 years now) and CC5 (Its terrible lol, i start the game new if schütze xy, who has already an tankhunter medal and so on dies lol.) i just love that games where every soldier is a soldier, i mean you need everybody and not only like in civ or so on a unit which you can easy reinforce
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 08:40 AM UTC
I find my XB and PS2 gamepads to be to easiest was to play any FPS. When I go back to games like Counterstrike or Half-Life I cannot do the keyboard. I need all my functions at my fingertips instead of hunting and pecking the various keys.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
I here you Sherm, I can smokem with the gamepad but not on the keyboard. I do ok but not really well enought to play against anything but AI wouldn't want to go online and die a million times in the first 5 minutes.
Now CIV III and way back to Civ I & II and Castle and some other old DOS games I'm fine on them.
On BF42 I was going to set the gamepad up mainly for flying. Everytime I try to fly with the keypad I crash a burn.
Thanks for all the great input thus far,
Dave
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On BF42 I was going to set the gamepad up mainly for flying. Everytime I try to fly with the keypad I crash a burn.
m:-)

Hehehe, I agree with you there - I have my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick to the right of my mousepad, with my eject and parachute keys double-bound to buttons on the joystick
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 09:53 PM UTC
i cant play bf without my beloved keyboard. once you ve got the "trick" to fly and so on you are the god in this game (ok i suck with the tank but in target bombing with the stuka muhahaha 1shot 1 kill)
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:15 AM UTC
I guess it comes down to once a ground pounder, always a ground pounder. If I grab a plane in BF42 it's only because I want to die! I can never remember the keys and by the time I find the right one I'm in a dive bomb with no hope of pulling out. Forget trying to shoot anything I'm just trying to stay in the air. :-) :-)

Guess I need to setup one keyboard with the keys coded in color or something so I can remember which is which. LOL

I've thought of gettong COD or MOH but I don;t want to drop the cash if I can't really enjoy the game. Think fingers and a keyboard doesn't mix very well.

Dave
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 05:44 AM UTC
nothing is more funnier than go with a stuka into dive bomb and enjoy the happy frags or destroyed tanks. and if its going to go dangerous, just fly home to your airbase.
Or you choose the me 109 and shoot right into their start-base with the mgs and drop a bomb right after it
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I grab a plane in BF42 it's only because I want to die! I can never remember the keys and by the time I find the right one I'm in a dive bomb with no hope of pulling out. Forget trying to shoot anything I'm just trying to stay in the air. :-) :-)

That's not a problem, Dave. You are perfect for what we call "lawn darting" where you just try to crash the plane (with or without you in it) into the land vehicles. You can take out a Tiger by plowing into the back of it with a P-51

If you ever want to jump online, I'd be more than willing to help you out. I have been playing BF42 for over 2.5 years and FPS since Doom II. I think with some key reconfigs we could have you set-up in no time.

Some of my friends like you who tend to miss the keys because there are so many (confused?), make the arrow keys the movement keys because they are relatively isolated and you can feel if you aren't pressing a key. You can then use "0" for crouching, "Ctrl" for prone, "1" for reload, etc.

Little adjustments like that can make a world of difference

I'm not letting you out of this that easy!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 01:03 PM UTC
Howdy follow gaming enthusiasts,

Holy Moly BulletTooth! You and I defintiely are of the same 'gaming mind'!........after reading your last post regarding key reasignments, you and I are definitely cookin' the same gas.

I too agree with using the 'arrow' keys because of their isolation from the other keys (when I first starting using the "AWSD" keys for movement, I kept hitting most of the surrounding keys when the gameplay got even the littlest bit 'excited'....) Hence, I've learned to use the 'arrow' keys to my advantage . Although, I configure 'Ctrl' for 'Jump', and the Backslash key for crouch. ( I still need to decide on a proper key for the 'Prone' position because a lot of 'noob's' are killin' me because they immediately jump to 'Prone' while in 'Infantry' mode.....

Anyway....back to the original question. Wish I could help ya Dave, but I can't even play with a 'Pad, because my thumb muscles can't take it!........good luck tho'

Tread.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:50 PM UTC
Might have to take you up on the offer sometime, that was my original idea with the game pad I was assigning the gamepad letters on the keyboard, such as the AWSD on the dpad with "A" at 9 o'clock, "W" at 12 o'clock etc. Then there are 6 bottons on the right with a shift to make 12 and 2 shoulder buttons. It also has duel joy stick which is what I was going to set the plane up on ... frankly I don't think I have enough buttons on the think. I could program 28 keys into the pad. However being a find and peck typer it's kinda hard to play a game when you're looking for keys. By the time I find the one I'm looking for I'm zooming far overhead watching the SOB that took me out run accross my dead lifeless corpes.
So being a former Sniper in real life I grab a sniper rifle and head off on my own and start taking the B**tards out. But I agree key reassignment would go along way to helping improve game play, I use those keys from movement in Civ II and it's a no-brainer up arrow is forward and so forth, not hard to remember that. Nothing worse than standing there looking at a machine gun and thinking crap what key was it I needed to use this thing ... oh yeah it was kill as I go joining the angels high above.
Great info guys, I'll have to redo the keys the next time I fire up the game.

Dave
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 09:59 PM UTC
My first FPS shooter were blake stone and Wolfenstein (Die Allied Sweinehund Eva auf wiedersehen ) and i play online since Half life 1. Played for years in the ESL. I played also a lot strategie (since dune 2) and so on
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 10:45 PM UTC
Nevermind which game is best with a gamepad - get rid of the gamepad and use a peripheral that is "better" for FPS games for the PC.

I know I will sound a Belkin spokesman, but you just cant go wrong with the Nostromo n52! Period.

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
Ok Mr Belkin spokeperson .. how much does it cost? Does it have pre-configures profiles or is there a site were users post them. I agree it's looks far more configurable and easier than a keyboard. Thanks for the lead I don't think I've ever seen one of those .... then again I never been looking for one.

Dave
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC
Howdy Kenc',

First, it's good to hear your voice (type?)

Second. Thx for the pic of the Nostromo controller. I've known about this wee beastie, but have never really figured out if it would work for me. It does look intriguing to be sure!
But, as an obvious 'mole' for the Belkin Mega-Corporation, I don't suppose you could lend me one for say......a 'test' drive?

Tread.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
In case the MOLE doesn't come through ... I found one at the review site ...

Keypad Gizmo Thingy

Really pretty cheap, about $30.00

This is the one I'm currently using ....

It's new so I'm still getting the hang of it, mainly using it on ROM's right now. Got love those old classics like Zelda.

Dave
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 03:16 AM UTC
apropos zelda, started to play the old zelda on NES(this one with the gold cartridge) again this morning. loved this games! but this controller looks like an playstation 2 controller. The only good games on playstation were all final fantasys (got all 11) and thrill kill lol.

but i dont understand how you want to get a kill with such a beast. nothings better than a good configurated keaboard-control
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 01:03 PM UTC
It's not that bad you configure the controler to match the old controller of the original game.

Yep I've got the gold Zelda somewhere, I have a few 100 ROMs mostly NES and SNES a and a few SAGA. Don't know what it is about Zelda but it is additive. Been playing it on and off since it first came out a LONG time ago.

Dave
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 10:56 PM UTC
It comes out-of-the-box with a default map/profile that is nearly fine for most FPS'.
There are several sites that offer profiles including Belkin's.
It takes about one good session to learn it, and from there on you will probably make your own custom profile, which is real simple and fun to boot.

Tread, I wish i could oblige. In fact I gave my bro their older Nostromo, the n50, which of course cant hold a light to this model. Sad part is, he never uses it. With that in mind, had I known, I certainly would have sent her your way.
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC
lol out-of-the-box