History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
The worst war film
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC
Let's kick this around what is the worst war film you ever saw and why?
DJ
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 04:42 AM UTC
I usually enjoy any war film I see, but when I saw "Eagles Over London" on History Television, I quit watching after the first half hour. Usually with old films I just accept the fact that they don't have the real equipment, but this was absolutely rediculous. It began with the Battle of Dunkirk with some German tanks being ambushed by British infantry. The British used a bazooka to destroy the tanks. Of course, the bazooka (or the PIAT for that matter) was not in service in 1940. They should have had a Boys AT-rifle. I guess it seems pretty minor, but it just put me in a bad mood and I thought everything I saw afterwards was rediculous. Maybe if I actually felt like watching a movie that day, I would have finished it, but something made me think it was the stupidest thing I had ever seen.......... Do I need to see a psychiatrist? #:-)

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 07:29 PM UTC
Nic--my vote is the forgettable "Big Red One." Preposterous story line. A guy goes through the First World War as a sergeant and has the same rank in 1942! He then goes through the entire war and remains at the same rank? The use of the Israeli Sherman ands probably the same one at that detracted from the film. Attacking the Belgium Insane Asylum was also enough to make you sick.....walk out on that one.
DJ
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 07:53 PM UTC
How about "The Battle of the Bulge"? It should have come with a disclaimer: "Any resemblance to the actual battle is purely coincidental ... "
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 08:23 PM UTC
A Bridge To Far for me and Eagles Nest . Speaking of War films what about Hanks war with Bruce Willis any good?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A Bridge To Far for me and Eagles Nest . Speaking of War films what about Hanks war with Bruce Willis any good?

Hanks War is not so much a war film it's just "A few good man" took place in a German POW camp in WW II. And I had watched part of it, and just don't have the interest to watch anymore, because I was eager to watch Lord Of Rings instead, but the movie is a fair one, it dosn't portrait the German POW camp commander as a man-eater as most of the film do, that's at least till the middle of the film, he was alright.

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 12:45 AM UTC
"Battle of The Bulge" with Henry Fonda and Telly Savalas has to be the worst. A close second would have to be "The Dirty Dozen". there was another Bulge movie, never knew the title, with "Columbo", a real anti-war flick. Everyone in it must have been stoned during the filming, or at least the writers were #:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
A bridge too far is pretty bad, and battle of Bulge too.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 02:28 AM UTC
I like A Bridge Too Far, other than that silly thing they pass of as a German tank, but it could be because it had basically all my favorite actors in it
Jeff and Dave, just for clarification, I think you are talking about Hart's War. You're right, it wasn't much of a war film if action is what you're after, but it does ask some interesting questions.
Ranger, I don't know if this is the one you refer to, it's not about the Battle of the Bulge, but I think Anzio had Columbo (don't know his real name either) in it. I think that one could be up there among the all time worst.

Nic
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 06:55 AM UTC
1."Pearl Harbour"- Romantic Comedy
2."Battle of The Bulge"
3. "The Dirty Dozen"
4. "Enemy at the Gates"-Good effects but not true to book
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like A Bridge Too Far, other than that silly thing they pass of as a German tank, but it could be because it had basically all my favorite actors in it
Jeff and Dave, just for clarification, I think you are talking about Hart's War. You're right, it wasn't much of a war film if action is what you're after, but it does ask some interesting questions.
Ranger, I don't know if this is the one you refer to, it's not about the Battle of the Bulge, but I think Anzio had Columbo (don't know his real name either) in it. I think that one could be up there among the all time worst.

Nic

Right Hart's War. think I will check it out.

Thanks
How about the one with Clint Eastwood and Telly salavas where they robbed the bank after or during the war. That was Funny. Is this only strictly war movies that are suppose to represent real battles. then most likely none of them are real to life. Kellys Heros thats it.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 04:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nic

I think they used Leopard 1A4's, trying to pass as Tigers.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
"The Castle Keep" or something like that, starring Peter Falk, was the movie I could not remember. I guess it would be a great movie after a case of beer #:-) , since I don't imbibe in that other stuff.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC
Castle Keep had Burt Lancaster too I believe. That movie was just plain weird.

Nic
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 02:33 PM UTC
I guess I will nominate my "favorite" film to hate...Windtalkers, I thought it was just plain awful. I know some guys like a movie based on the TO & E alone, but for me it has to have a somewhat believable story line.

Rick Cooper
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I will nominate my "favorite" film to hate...Windtalkers, I thought it was just plain awful. I know some guys like a movie based on the TO & E alone, but for me it has to have a somewhat believable story line.

Rick Cooper

Oh, yes, I vote for WIndtalker as well.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC
I'm curious -- what did you guys find unbelievable about Windtalkers? I haven't seen it yet (waiting for the video/DVD now), but I know the real Navajo codetalkers say the bodyguard aspect of the flick is Hollywood BS.

One movie that always irks me is Apocalype Now. It's fun to watch, but is chock-ful-o-BS. "The horror ... the horror ..."

Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 04:45 AM UTC
And what's wrong with Kelly's Heroes? One of my favorites, really. You just can't take it seriously, that's all. It wasn't intended to be really accurate, just entertaining. And remember too that it was made in 1970 and bears the mark of the anti-war sentiment engendered by the war in Vietnam. Tank commander Oddball is totally 1969, not 1944, but he's a great character nevertheless.

This movie does have some real highlights for armor fans. The Shermans are great, all M4A3's with the postwar E4 conversion to the 76mm gun in the older 75mm turret. They are NOT fireflies but ARE real vehicles supplied by US military assistance programs in the 1950's. The physical condition, dirt, stowage, and so on all reflect GI practice in WW2. Good reference, IMO. The half-tracks aren't bad either, and you'll probably never see an M5 High Speed Tractor and tank recovery trailer filmed anywhere else. Remember when the yacht got towed away? A few seconds is all, but I've never seen the combination in film anywhere else. We all know about the Tigers converted from T34's--dimensionally strange because of the nose-forward turret placement of the T34 but to my eyes a very nice try--better than using a Leopard 1A4 in A Bridge Too Far (aside from that, I like that film too!). But there is one more vehicle most of you have probably missed:

Look very closely at the sequence where Kelly's band gets into the minefield. The detonation alerts the Germans in the nearby garrison, who roll out to investigate. Look in the background as they roll out the gate, and you will see an M3 halftrack with the rear hull sides modifiedto look like an Sdkfz. 151. Not a bad attempt; I don't know why we never saw more of it.

Greg
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm curious -- what did you guys find unbelievable about Windtalkers? I haven't seen it yet (waiting for the video/DVD now), but I know the real Navajo codetalkers say the bodyguard aspect of the flick is Hollywood BS.

One movie that always irks me is Apocalype Now. It's fun to watch, but is chock-ful-o-BS. "The horror ... the horror ..."

Bob---Windtalkers has some nice effects. Typical Hollywood innocent reservation Indian joins the big bad machine and prejudice surrounds him, etc. Great subject, certainly should demonstrate the prejudices that marked that era, way (way off) when it comes to the relavance and value of the Navajo's Marines. Too bad.
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And what's wrong with Kelly's Heroes? One of my favorites, really. You just can't take it seriously, that's all. It wasn't intended to be really accurate, just entertaining. And remember too that it was made in 1970 and bears the mark of the anti-war sentiment engendered by the war in Vietnam. Tank commander Oddball is totally 1969, not 1944, but he's a great character nevertheless.

This movie does have some real highlights for armor fans. The Shermans are great, all M4A3's with the postwar E4 conversion to the 76mm gun in the older 75mm turret. They are NOT fireflies but ARE real vehicles supplied by US military assistance programs in the 1950's. The physical condition, dirt, stowage, and so on all reflect GI practice in WW2. Good reference, IMO. The half-tracks aren't bad either, and you'll probably never see an M5 High Speed Tractor and tank recovery trailer filmed anywhere else. Remember when the yacht got towed away? A few seconds is all, but I've never seen the combination in film anywhere else. We all know about the Tigers converted from T34's--dimensionally strange because of the nose-forward turret placement of the T34 but to my eyes a very nice try--better than using a Leopard 1A4 in A Bridge Too Far (aside from that, I like that film too!). But there is one more vehicle most of you have probably missed:

Look very closely at the sequence where Kelly's band gets into the minefield. The detonation alerts the Germans in the nearby garrison, who roll out to investigate. Look in the background as they roll out the gate, and you will see an M3 halftrack with the rear hull sides modifiedto look like an Sdkfz. 151. Not a bad attempt; I don't know why we never saw more of it.

Greg

Your memory is better then mine. I haven't seen it in about 30 years Yes oddball played by Donald Sutherland. Crap game Don Rickles (:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bob---Windtalkers has some nice effects. Typical Hollywood innocent reservation Indian joins the big bad machine and prejudice surrounds him, etc. Great subject, certainly should demonstrate the prejudices that marked that era, way (way off) when it comes to the relavance and value of the Navajo's Marines. Too bad.
DJ

In Short John Woo shouldn't be directing war films....
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 02:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be thinking about what you've said when I still rent Windtalkers and -- like every American should -- make a decision for myself.

As far as Kelly's Heroes goes .... it was certainly the best WWII movie of the 70s (OK, Patton was good too, except for the scenes that included tanks). And, HEY, it's a comedy (mostly), so they have a certain extended artistic license. If nothing else, it provided some of the most memorable lines in war movie history.

Oddball: "Who is that guy ,CrapGame?"
CrapGame: "That's Kelly. Used to be a lieutenant until they ordered him to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out half a company of GIs. Someone had to get blamed and he got picked."
Oddball: laughing..."Oh man, I don't like officers."
CrapGame: "Neither does he, so relax."

Reason # 12 why I never became an officer.

More favorite quotes:

CrapGame: "Hey kid, you need to pull yourself together. We're not in the middle of Central Park."
Kelly: "Oddball! Just how you figure moving through enemy terrain with a column a mile long?"
Oddball: "Easy. We can fight. We got an Army."
Big Joe: "Those freaks? That's not an army; it's a circus"
Oddball: "Take it easy Big Joe. Some of these people have sensitive feelings"

One last one ... my dad and I recite this when we're fishing:

Oddball: "Hi, man."
Big Joe: "What you doin?"
Oddball: "Drinking wine and eating cheese and catching some rays, you know?"
Big Joe: "What's happened?"
Oddball: "Well, the tank's broken and they're trying to fix."
Big Joe: "Then why the hell aren't you up there helping them?!"
Oddball: "I only ride 'em. I don't what make's 'em work."

Gotta love Kelly's Heroes.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be thinking about what you've said when I still rent Windtalkers and -- like every American should -- make a decision for myself.

As far as Kelly's Heroes goes .... it was certainly the best WWII movie of the 70s (OK, Patton was good too, except for the scenes that included tanks). And, HEY, it's a comedy (mostly), so they have a certain extended artistic license. If nothing else, it provided some of the most memorable lines in war movie history.

CrapGame: "That's Kelly. Used to be a lieutenant until they ordered him to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out half a company of GIs. Someone had to get blamed and he got picked."

More favorite quotes:

CrapGame: "Hey kid, you need to pull yourself together. We're not in the middle of Central Park."
Kelly: "Oddball! Just how you figure moving through enemy terrain with a column a mile long?"

Okay I will rent it again to see. It was kind of different did he not use the tiger to blow the doors up (:-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

More favorite quotes:

Bob--you did not become an Officer because of a line in a movie?
DJ #:-) #:-)
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hanks War is not so much a war film it's just "A few good man" took place in a German POW camp in WW II. And I had watched part of it, and just don't have the interest to watch anymore, because I was eager to watch Lord Of Rings instead, but the movie is a fair one, it dosn't portrait the German POW camp commander as a man-eater as most of the film do, that's at least till the middle of the film, he was alright.

i thought harts war was more of a court room drama

for me it would have to be anything with John wayne.they are just plain cheesie