Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Modeling & Cats...What is UP with that?
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
So here's what I usually have to deal with when I enter my (vanishingly small) hobby area:

The family feline, RobinCatBird(named by my son) seems to love curling up in my stash. He won't even move when I begin working, unless I run over him with a chair caster(purely by accident, I assure you). Of course after that he doesn't leave , he just insists on being ON the desk after that, despite the numerous times I remove him(gently or ungently, makes him no nevermind.). If I toss him out the door & shut it behind him, he's actually been known to crawl through the attic & reenter my room by way of a missing section of baseboard.
So I ask you- What is UP with that? Does anyone else have this occur on a regular basis? Is there some sort of soporific or intoxicant in styrene that attracts los Gatitos? Or is it just like the Nissan commercial of a few years past-
"Cats LOVE Models!
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC
Our cat "Cleo" has the same attraction to the workshop but only when I am in it. She will claw at the door and howl until I let her in. She will curl up in a up turned kit box and fall right asleep. Its the weirdest thing. Now my two year old daughter ..thats a whole other story...LOL
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC
No cat, just a cocker spaniel who thinks she's a "people" and sheds hair all over the place. usually asleep on the floor behind me when not leeping in our bed.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 02:37 PM UTC
Try three golden retrievers who absolutely MUST be touching you at all times. Got one sleeping on each foot, under the table, with the third laying on the bed right behind you. Did I mention that 3rd one has hair like a porcupine? Know how they are supposed to be able to throw their quills, this guy just looks at a model and his hair jumps off him and does a kamikaze on the nearest model. Usually when it's still drying from the last coat of paint. The models wind up looking like their wearing a cashmere sweater.

Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 03:44 PM UTC
Robert,

Sounds like you have a great little friend in RCB. Like all cats who receive allot of love he just wants to hang and be your buddy. You're lucky.

My little girl-kitty Abigail follows me around like a puppy and invariably ends up on the workbench purring and licking my face. Good thing Daddy loves her as I have to put the project away whenever I'm finished with some operation otherwise she will have her way with the fiddly bits and THAT would never do!

Cody
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 206 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 06:31 PM UTC
3 weeks ago my cat ate a fuly painted german stormtroopers helmet
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 07:59 PM UTC
Ha, my workplace is such a mess, she doesn't have the space to bunk down her 18 pound body. BTW she doesn't like my airbrush compressor, if I switch it on she gone in a split second. I think she still remembers the coat off panzer grey she once got accidently (NOT...) :-) :-) .

And the smell of glue and thinner also seems a good cat repellant...

Kris
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 11:47 PM UTC
Cats are wonderous creatures. My little Panzer...who i introduced to Armorama a few months ago...fully believes that he is not a cat..he is human and can be wherever the humans are..and that includes the model area.....

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 242 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:23 AM UTC
I think Cats act in the same manner everywhere

A few years ago I had one cat (Sebastian) that whenever I opened a box and put the lid on the floor, he would jump right into it!! It could be a Revell Germany Flower Class corvete or a series two Airfix box :-) he just had to fit there!

Today, I have a couple of them! The "girl" Riscas (Stripes) doesn't pay to much attention to my modeling and prefer to sit on the lap of Alexandra (my wife)...
but... James (the Cat) loves to see what I am doing, loves to bit the sprues, and hate the smell of resin!!

The bust that I have on my gallery was pocked severall times while I was not seeing, beeing the head a very good toy for him to run and play with!!

No arm was done to the models or cats

Skipper
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Cats are inquisitive creatures and just HAVE to know what you're doing and to help if they can. Usually you can divert them with a cardboard box to sit in/on.

I used to have a cat called Jeep who loved to help, luckily mostly by watching.

And I won't mention Alexander who liked to spray - without an airbrush
slodder
Visit this Community
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
I believe that cats want what they can't have or want to be were they aren't supposed to be.
When I'm inside in the den Leo (one of our three cats) like to get up in my lap.
And
Oscar loves scaling the desk, shelves, and all sorts of furniture to see what models and dioramas I have displayed.

Gotta love Cats
LogansDad
Visit this Community
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 02:46 AM UTC
Just a clarification( & thanks to all for contributing, Mary, Panzer has turned into quite the Regal Felini-defies gravity well too! ), This was NOT a rant against my cat or cats in general. As Cody said, RCB really IS my good buddy, & he & I have spent many nights cuddled up togther drinking (me, not him) & watching DVD's or reading. He's also just wonderful with Logan (who, I must admit is NOT always wonderful with him ) and the baby(Ryan) and treats all visiting animals (SWMBO is a groomer w/ a home business) as if they may rate more than casual contempt.
But when I've got on the 8x diopter & I'm working on placing an O2 line in a 1:144 cockpit(yes, it's a sickness), just as I think I've got it lined up & touch the superglue pin to it~~* Headbutt to the elbow*~~"Hey,person, Glad to see me?" I've gotta admit thoughts of chinese food do flit through my mind ...
J/K
Anyway thanks for listening. Oh, & one other point-It's not like I don't know cats either. I believe at last count I've had a grand total of 37 in my life(these are the ones I can recall & had to care for) & really did like, well, most of them