_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Where to buy smaller drill bits?
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
I bought the smallest ones X-acto had, the #55 through #80, but they don't say how the sizes work on them, is the higher the number the bigger they get, or the smaller they get. I bought the small set, then I bought the medium set, but they no longer have the medium set in stock to where I bought them, to check it out.

Anyway I got them bolt-heads from Grandt Line, and they recommend to drill a hole to mount their bolt-heads so they stay better, but the smallest bit I have is still almost big enough for the whole head of the bolt to fall through it.

It didn't fall through it, but it was pretty sloppy, and I would like to have a little bit smaller hole. So if somebody could send me in the right direction, I'll thank you a head of time.

Kerry
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC

A #80 is pretty dang small -- .0135 inch. What size Grandt line bolts are you using? And what are you using to drill? If you chuck them in a motortool, they may be melting a hole rather than actually drilling -- making the melted hole too large.

I normally use about a #72 (.025 inch) for Grandt Line bolts.

You can buy replacement drills at most decent hardware stores.

Hope this helps ...
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC
Micro-Mark maybe? Here is the link.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=110

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:36 AM UTC
The bigger the number... the smaller the drill Kerry.
# 80 is the smallest you can get at a realistic price.
They do make them smaller, but # 80 is pretty darn small.
Smaller than #80 will run you between 10 to 20 bucks PER drill. I got a link somewhere, where you can order them, but personally, I have never needed a drill smaller than a #80. (if you want the link...PM me and give a few days to find it, since my booksmarks are in NO kind of order..... LOL)
As for drilling for Grant lines, I use just about the same sizes that Hollowpoint uses, in that general area, since the little pins on the grant lines aren't perfectly round... a #72 maybe too small, or too large, go up or down a size from there. As Hollow point pointed out, these drills are for use in a pin vise, or pin drill, not a motor tool.
Replacements are usually sold in a decent hardware store under the Brand name DIXON, and run about a buck each, at least in my area. You might want to google and check for their website.
You can order tubes of 10, of each each size from Model-expo also. I stocked up when they were having their clearence sale, and paid a buck a tube for ten. I don't know what they are charging for them now.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
Ciao straightedge,
Steve is absolutely right. Micromark is the way to go. They sell the smallest ones anywhere. They sell them in sets or individually.
Ciao for now
Rob
 _GOTOTOP