_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Miniature punch and die sets
dencoarty12
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC
Greetings, I am considering a punch and die set for those pesky missing bolt heads and the like. Does anyone have experience with either the Waldron Sub Miniature set or the Historex round set. I'm looking for opinions on which set affords the most flexability for various scales and number of punch sizes. I know Historex has Waldron beat price-wise, but does that indicate more limitations for use? Thanks, Scott
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC
I am also very interested in this information. Any recommendations?

I notice that Historex has two sizes available...what is the size range for each? Which one is likely to be more useful?

Please help if you can! This is a pretty significant investment, and your experience can help make the right choice.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 05:36 AM UTC
Well, I've never compared the two sets, but I have had the Historex Hex and Round set for a number of years and I'm quite happy with that configuration.

Some times when I just can't get motivated to work on a model, or if I happen to 'drift off to the Bahamas' for about an hour or so, I'll just sit there and knock out about fifty of each size (not all in one sitting) and of different thicknesses. Little clear plastic topped tins hold them nicely and whenever I need one or 20, I Just reach for them. Always nice to be well 'stocked'.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 05:49 AM UTC
Where can you get/order these things? I have run into several occasions where I could have used one. Also, I have only heard about them, never actually seen any pictures. What do these sets look like and why are they so expensive?

Nic
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC
I know that Roll Models carries the Waldron punch and die sets (as well as other products of Waldron) but I don't believe the Waldron set has the capability to punch-out hex nuts. I think their only round punches used mainly for scratchbuilding a/c cockpits.
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:50 PM UTC
Historex punch sets can be obtained by the Red Lancers:

http://www.redlancers.com/minilistout.asp?subcat=787&mfg=341&page=4

I use the round set all the time.

The reason why they are expensive is that they are machine tooled, high carbon steel. They are precision tools and are built to last a lifetime. What it consists of is a thick metal plate with holes drilled that taper at the bottom. A clear plastic overlay with holes is lined up over the metal plate. The punches come in a variety of sizes to match the holes and have a cutting edge on one end. The stock you are using is placed on the metal plate underneath the clear plastic overlay. The punch is then inserted in the hole and punched out with a tack hammer. The cut piece falls out the bottom. You can use lead foil, plastic, brass to use as your stock.

I keep the whole set oiled between uses to prevent rusting.
dencoarty12
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 42 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 11:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the input.
The sets are expensive! The round and hex sets from Historex can be had together for only about $10 more than the Waldron round set alone. Great Models Webs Store has the Waldron set for 80+ dollars! Yow! One certainly wants to consider this before diving in. A guy could pick up a couple of new kits for the money and you know there's gotta be a frustration factor working with tiny plastic wafers. I've tried making boltheads for the jeep I'm woking on by slicing thin bits of streched sprue. That activity brought up the punch question. Thanks again for the input, Historex it is! Scott

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC
There's been several posts on this subject a few months ago. I think they're in the "scratchbuilding" section under "cutting circles".
I have the historex round AND hex sets. Great quality, but you have to use them correctly or the transparent plastic can break, rendering the whole set useless. always make sure the bottom and top part are perfectly parralel before you hit the pin with a hammer.
I wouldn't know how to start a serious scratchbuilding project without a P&D set !
Jan
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:27 PM UTC
I sell a round set (8 punches) and a hex set 4 punches. These I consider to be the best on the market. I just got a resupply sooooooo......If you're interested yell. The price is a hefty (sorry it isn't me the culprit!) 80 Euros per set.

Jack at yer service.
 _GOTOTOP