TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Halfyank's 1st Boxing Day Movie Trivia test
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC
Last year I put out a Boxing Day naval history quiz on the Warships forum. This year I'd like to enlarge this to the TV and Movies forum. Here is my 1st annual Boxing Day War Movie trivial test. I will post answers next week to any questions not answered.

Enjoy

1. In Enemy at the gates what was the name of the German Major Vassili was trying to kill?

2. In Full Metal Jacket what song does the squad sing as they walk through the rubble of the town?

3. What was the sub-title of Dr Strangelove?

4. In Dr Strangelove Major “King” Kong, Slim Pickens, comments, “a fella could have a pretty good weekend in ______________ “ with the contents of the survival pack. What city could they have a good time in?

5. In Green Berets Sergeant Provo is worried about what kind of building would be name after him if he were killed. He wanted one that would “sing.” What was the name of the building named in his honor?

6. In “The Great Escape”, one of my all time favorite movies, the actor who played the senior British office, SBO, also played in two other great war movies. What are those movies?

7. In the actual escape portrayed in The Great Escape how many actual American POWs escaped?

8. What instrument did Robert E Lee Prewitt, Montgomery Clift, play in From Here to Eternity?

9. Who, character or actor or both, said, “To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kind of weird sandwich?” in Kelly’s Heroes? Possibly the best line in a movie full of great lines.

10. To finish the line above the character above go onto say “not some nut who…” What s it that the nut doesn’t do?

11.In “In Harms Way” there were two CINCPACs, Commander in Chief Pacific Fleet. Neither was named. The first was supposed to be Kimmel, the second Nimitz. Who played Admiral Nimitz?

12. In the Movie M.A.S.H., when the two surgeons arrive in the Tokyo hospital they say they are “The Pros from _______.” What city are they from?

12. Who is the only actor who played in both the movie and TV series M.A.S.H.?

13. In “The Memphis Belle” what is the name of the plane with the rookie crew that is shot down?

14. In “Mr. Roberts”, another of my all time favorites, the ship they are on is knick named by the crew “the Bucket.” What is the ships real name?

15. In Alfred Hitchcock movies movie fans take delight in trying to spot Hitchcock in his cameo roll in each flick. In the movie “Lifeboat” where does Hitchcock show up as a cameo?

16. In “Patton” what is the name of the book Patton is reading the night before his first battle? Bonus question, who wrote the book?

17. In “Saving Private Ryan” which actor from the series Cheers had a small part?

18. In “Stalag 17” what did the POWs grind up to make the smoke bomb to aid in the escape at the end?

19. In “Das Boot” what record does the commander play to tick off his gung ho Nazi First Officer?

20. The M3 Lee plays a starring role in two movies, 1941, and this classic starring Humphrey Bogart?

21. In “The Longest Day” Red Buttons is deafened by what?

22. In “Twelve O’clock High” what does the adjutant, actor Dean Jagger, find in a London antique shop that sends him back down memory lane?

23. This classic WWII air action movie inspired some of George Lucas’ lines in the attack on the death star in Star Wars?

24. This character actor, normally known for playing the bad guy in Hollywood westerns, plays the navy commander who is frustrated when his senior officer wants “confirmation” of the Ward’s sinking of a Japanese midget sub in Tora, Tora, Tora. Name the actor?

25. Who has the line, “my engines overheating and so am I” in the great movie “Battle of Britain?”

26. In “The Battle of the River Platte” what is ironic about the two officers being given various “Order of the Bath” awards?

27. Actor Michael Caine will go onto to star in many great war movies in his career. He got his first role in the movie the tells the story of “Rorke’s Drift.” What is the name of this movie?

28. In the WW1 movie “The Blue Max” which actress shows up in one scene wearing nothing but a strategically placed towel, to fuel the fantasy of history minded young boys for years.

29. Which actor plays Irwin Rommel in two WWII movies?

30. What personal item does Frost’s batman ask if he should pack in “A Bridge too Far?”
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 07:07 AM UTC
27: Zulu.
Thats it for me Im afriad. I have a few of those films on DVD orvideo, but cant be bothered trying to find the right answers! (:-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Right you are Frank, and to you goes the honor of the first right answer.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:21 AM UTC
#1 Konig?
#2 Mickey Mouse
#5 Privy
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:27 AM UTC
Right you are Alan.

#1 Major Koenig, played by Ed Harris.

#2 Em Eye Cee Kay Eee Why, Em Oh You Ess Eee.

#5 Provo's Privy "It Sings."

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC
#6 I'll give someone a partial as I can only remember Bridge Over the River Kwai
#9 Oddball
#10 ...Not some nut that takes on three Tigers
#12 Radar- Gary Burgoff (sp)
#16 Another partial credit... don't know the book but it was written by Rommel
#17 Captain Hammel played by Ted Danson (Sam Malone from Cheers)
#20 Sahara
#21 Church Bells
#22 Beer mug??
#30 His little horn thingy
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 06:37 PM UTC
Here are a few I think I've got the answers to:

3: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb
7: None
9: Donald Southerland
11: Henry Fonda
13: Mother and Country
16: something like "The Tank in Attack" by Rommel
23: The Dambusters
25: Michael Caine
28: Ursula Andress
30: I think it was his dinner jacket

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 06:06 AM UTC
#6 Alan has one right, Bridge on the River Kwai. The other is also a POW film. Seems this actor played a lot of POWs.

#9 Oddball it is, my favorite character in one of my favorite movies.

#10, yep "Not some NUT who takes on three tigers!"

#12 Radar it is

#16 Right on the author Alan it was Rommel. Patton later says, "Rommel you magnificent B******, I read your book."

#17 Ted Danson is right, and Alan even knew the character name.

#20 Yes, Sahara is the movie. It was later remade staring Jim Belushi (sp) Not a bad remake actually.

#21 Church bells is right. He hung from a church steeple all night while the bells played be his head.

#22 It was some kind of mug, probably a beer mug.

#30 No, I'm not looking for his hunting horn. The scene I'm thinking of is where the batman asks if he's really going to need this item.

Good work Alan.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 06:15 AM UTC
Ed, War Machine gets some more.

#3 The full title was Dr Strangelove, or how I stop worrying and learned to love the bomb.

#7 None. The Americans in the camp were moved out prior to the escape. The Germans first thought that by having Brits and Americans in the same camp would lead to unrest. When the Brits and Americans got on so well together they decided to break them up. I love The Great Escape but this is one thing that bugs me, that so many of the lead actors are actually Americans playing Brit or Commonwealth soldiers. Leave it to Hollywood.

#9 right you are on the actor but Alan got there first with the character name.

#11 Henry Fonda is correct.

#13 Mother and Country is correct.

#16 I'm going off memory here, and I don't have the movie on DVD, yet, but I think you're right as to the title.

#23 Yes, The Dam Busters is the movie I think it was taken from. Others say 633 Squadron but I still think it was Dam Busters.

#25 Yes Michael Caine said this line. I can't remember his characters name. Great line, great actor, great movie, how can you miss?

#28 Ursula Andress is the actress. I can't tell you what an impact that scene made on me and my Junior High school friends when we saw it.

#30 Yes, his dinner jacket is what I was looking for.

Good work Ed.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC
If I'm figuring this right the following are still up for grabs. #4, #6 for the 2nd film, 8, 14, 15, 18, 19, 24, 26, 29.

Good work so far guys.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC
I have to ask for a review of #30. When the assistant first enters the room Frost is playing with his horn. The assistant (I believe his name is Wicks) then asks If he can pack that for the Colonel. Frost says no he'll take it with him.

Then Frost ask if his golf clubs were pack. Assistant says yes.

Then Frost (not the assistant) asks if his dinner jacket was packed. The assistant says "do you think you'll really need that?"

Since the original question was "What personal item does Frost’s batman ask if he should pack in “A Bridge too Far?”" the only item that the batman (I assume you meant bagman) asked if he should pack was the horn.

I can double check that on the DVD tonight but I'm 99.9% sure that's the way it went
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 07:34 AM UTC
#24 Joseph Cotten
#29 James Mason
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 08:03 AM UTC
Alan, you may very well be right. If I can get control of the DVD anytime today I'll double check as well. It was my memory that the batman asked about the dinner jacket, and the golf clubs. Your memory also sounds correct though and I have a hunch you're right. I'll check also.

You're right on #29, I was thinking of James Mason. There may have been others but Mason made the role famous in The Desert Fox and in another movie whose title escapes me at the moment. In the 2nd film it was a cameo part and he made Rommel seem much sterner.

Nope, Joeseph Cotton isn't who I had in mind. He was in T,T,T, but he played the Secretary of War, Stimpson.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC
#24 The only other person I can remember is Jason Robard but I can't say I remember too many westerns with him.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC
Nope, Jason Robards played General Short.

I'll give a hint, the character actor is possibly best known for playing the sympathetic prison guard alongside Burt Lancaster in Birdman of Alcatraz.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 04:06 AM UTC
#24 Neville Brand
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 04:11 AM UTC
Yes, that's right. If I'm not mistaken Mr Brand also served in the military in WWII.

EDIT I just checked and Mr Brand not only served in the military but received the Silver Star for gallantry in action, plus the combat infantry badge, purple heart, and three battle stars for his ETO service ribbon.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 04:18 AM UTC
#6 How about another hint? When you say "great" war movies I can only think of "The Great Escape" and "Bridge of the River Kwai". I know he has been in at least a half dozen other war movies but nothing pops out to me as great. Does it have to do with an airplane?
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
1. Koenig
2. Mickey mouse club song
3. How i learned to enjoy the war
5. Provos Privvy
7. None
8. Bugle
12. Dover
13. Gary Burghof (Radar)
16. Panzer Angriff by Rommel
19. It's a long way to Tipperarry
21. Church Bells
22. A Toby Mug
29. James Mason
30. Dancing Shoes
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:54 AM UTC
Great quiz. Here's my contribution.

#8. Bugle. He played it like a trumpet, though.

#14. Reluctant

#28. I'm going to answer this one even though it's been answered. Ursula Andress. Woof. Damn near went off at that scene. It's hell to be in junior high school with your mom watching the movie with you.

#29. James Mason

-Charlie

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

#6 How about another hint? When you say "great" war movies I can only think of "The Great Escape" and "Bridge of the River Kwai".

I guess "great" is relative. I like it. The movie I'm speaking of is based on a book by James Clavell. Ironically James Clavell also wrote the screenplay for The Great Escape. He plays a POW again, this time of the Japanese, like in Bridge...

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
Charlie gets some more, though he had some duplicates.

#14 is the USS Reluctant. I think the only time this is mentioned is at the beginning in the introductory notes.

Oh and the movie that James Mason reprised his role of Rommell in was The Desert Rats, with Richard Burton.

Charlie, my buddies and I in Jr High had the same reaction to that scene with Ursala.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
I thought Dave had all duplicates but I see he did get #19 right, It's a long way to Tipperarry is the song.

As to #30 I was looking for Dinner Jacket, but as Alan said I might be remembering the scene wrong.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC
Ok, here is the final word on #30.

Alan was right, I just reviewed the scene on DVD. Col. Frost picks up the hunting horn, then puts it down on a dresser or something. His batman asks if he should pack it, and Frost replies, "No, I'll carry it with me." Then Frost asks about his golf clubs, which the batman says are going later in the staff car. Finally Frosts asks about his dinner jacket, which the batman asks if he'll be using.

I was thinking about the dinner jacket when I asked the question but Alan had it right on the money. As did anybody else who answered horn, or horn thingy.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 09:30 AM UTC
Woohoo! Jeopardy guy eat your heart out! I'm on my way to winning $2.5 of Halfyanks money!