Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Earthquake
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
Here's hoping all our members from that part of the world are OK., and hopefully will start checking in soon.......
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
That was actually my first thought as well, when i saw the news earlier today. Good luck to all you guys and gals and your familes and friends.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 07:46 AM UTC
That was my immediate concern too. We have quite a few active members in Malaysia so I hope they and their families are all okay.

Best wishes,
Jim
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
My heart goes to all those who suffer from this tragedy. Most of them don't have the luxury of internet and never heard of modeling. Besides the many thousands (they already talk about 12.000 people killed) who lost their parents or children, hundreds of thousands got hurt today, and over a million people lost their house, their goods, everything they lived and worked for. This is not what they deserve for christmas !
Let's hope the world get their act together to help them out quickly.

To members of the Armorama family who live in any of the areas that were struck : what is the best way we can help ?

Jan

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:12 PM UTC
Hi all,

i'm quite shock yesterday morning to received sms, phone call about some shaking that occurred to a few places in KL.... the morning news said that it was originated from an earthquake in Indonesia. Luckily no one was injured or killed in Malaysia. But the bad news came in the evening news that 43 malaysian were killed in northern state of peninsula Malaysia. The victims were killed by huge waves or some say tsunami from the center of earthquake in Indonesia. I have friends who were on vacation in Penang. According to him and the news also, the waves hit the beach at noon 1.30 pm . Luckily they survived to. Well my condolence to family of the victims. They are a few armorama members who live on the northern states. Hope they are OK and could tell more.

ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:18 PM UTC
Fortunately Malaysia wasnt hit that bad compared to Sri Lanka or India. Apparently some of my friends who were in the northern states could feel the earthquake from Indonesia.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:41 PM UTC
news update from the office:

i just found out that the large glass panel on the boss' room was shattered into millions pieces due to yesterday quake. Man this was too close
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 07:24 PM UTC
I am glad to hear there were not worse casualties there. I wonder if our members in Thailand faired as well?

Jim
Target_J
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hi all,

I slept in until quite late yesterday and wasn't aware of this disaster until i spoke to my girlfriend, which was around 2pm. She told me that her uncle felt the aftershocks lasting for about 2 minutes in Shah Alam (nearby Kuala Lumpur) and i told her not to be silly since Malaysia is not located on the eartquake zone (or whatever belt it's called).

It was only when i saw the news later that i knew of this problem. I would think that this is a very new disaster and problem faced by Malaysians since almost all of us do not have this experience. Moreover, i would think that our skyscrapers are not built to withstand this problem. Some people who lived in condominiums was forced to vacate their units until the afterschocks died down.

Anyway, i would like to wish everyone affected all the best and god bless.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
Yeah, the lastest death toll is 21,000 and rising. My sympathies as well. Its good to hear all so far are safe.

Jeff
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 03:42 AM UTC
What is going on over there? Didn't Thailand just get hit with a Tsunami too?
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 04:24 AM UTC
My heartfelt concern and sympathies go out to all who are affected by this. I hope that all of our members in these countries can report in soon.

I hope I don't come across as being in-sensitive, but natural disasters are something that have occured since the dawn of time and will keep on occuring. I don't believe that there has been a "surge" in such events as hurricanes, earthquakes and the like as some media outlets would have us believe. It is a simple reality. The more civilized the world becomes, the more populated places these disasters have to strike. It seems like there are more because they are actually documented by every media outlet in the world. 100 years ago, we didn't have that, hence things, I assume, seemed calmer. It just shows how little control, with all of our technology, that we have over the natural occurances of Earth.

bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
Edit: Double Post

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 08:02 AM UTC
Bowjunkie,
You are right, to a certain extent. I think, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that Japan, South Korea, etc. have a bouy system that will give them at least a bit of advanced warning if something like this is coming. As I understand it, it is not unlike the doppler radar I know you and I watch every spring when the weather gets rough.
Nobody is going to tame mother nature but at least we are learning how to get out of her way.

My thoughts go out to all of the lost, and those that lost.

Shaun
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
Three families around me have been involved in the tsunami waves in Thailand. We haven't heard anything about one of the familes, the second family was far inland and the third has a 4 year old daughter missing.

Of course our thoughts and prayers go out to everybody involved. I'll second Jan's question, is there anything we can do??
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC
It's up to 40,000+ casualties now. A huge proportion were children. They say that the poor families had children working the docks and the fishing area near the coast while children of the wealthy actually flocked to play at the beach because the waves were getting high for surfing and stuff. Then all of a sudden everyone got washed out to sea. Some villages lost 50% of their children who were working on the coast. Authorities are still trying to estimate the impact on the coastal population where an entire generation of children may be lost. What a sad event.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 09:11 AM UTC
This is shocking..... My heart bleeds for all those poor people....
Every report seems more and more have died, and it's still going up. And here it's being reported the majority were European tourist...... on holiday. (vacation)
Somehow I think this is goig to have very far reaching effects on many families around the world, not just in the strickened area.
My sincere condolences to any and all memebers affected by this tragedy.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
Since I originally read the story at lunch the death count is now nearing 55,000. Because of the region that was hit, it is possible that disease and lack of access to fresh food and water may kill MORE than the storm itself. Unbelievable tragedy out there
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 09:50 AM UTC
I hope we will all think seriously about donating time, relief items, or money to helping them recover from this and avoid more death.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is probably one of the best routes for monitary donations. Their web site is running a bit slow but is at: http://www.ifrc.org/helpnow/donate/donate_response.asp

Thanks,
Jim
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
Thanks Jim......
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:20 AM UTC
My thoughts go to the to all effected,
Tango 20 chris
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 12:15 PM UTC
The number of casualties in peninsula Malaysia was reported to be 65. MY condolonoce to those that affected by this disaster. MAlaysia has never face this kind of distater before and we wasnt ready and wasnt know of t he behaviour of tsunami. My friends who happen to be on the scene told me about theiir lucky escape from death and how the impact of the waves hit on them. This is really scary. I was very lucky because i cancelled the office trip last week and some of my coulegues think they may extend their trip to the weekend. Well, I was lucky to cancelled the trip.
From time to time the news media reported the increasing number of death toll. and some did offerrs help/donation/humanity services.