Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Earthquake
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 04:40 AM UTC
ZZZ that's what I thought at first .

Then I was told any camera that survived probably was in a lower water spot. You also have to imagine that a couple feet tall wave of water reached a mile or more inland and just sucked out everything that wasn't fastened down while you were just standing there minding your own business. You're being tossed around in the rush of water with debris battering you. Even if you got a grip on something solidly planted you get smashed by debris rushing past you.

I am unclear if there is was just one big rush, several big rushes or what. At the end of the day I guess it really doesn't matter what we think happened. We have seen the results.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC
I lived by a surfing beach in Sydney for many years I used to enjoy watching those big ones come in, but that beach was created by nature to handle those kind of seas,they have a very sloping shore which causes the wave to grow high, those things which hit Asia hit on low lying places like the maldives and traveling at 500 miles an hour something similar happened in England in the 50's when a huge artic storm caused a tidal surge in the north sea it killed hundreds of people along the east coast. last report i heard on the B.B.C. was over 60,000 this is unbelievable. i read a quote once by a wise man it goes "In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments-there are Consequences" R.G. Ingersoll, 1833-1899
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:43 AM UTC
- that's what I am thinking if I may quote Ron White "it's not THAT the wind is blowin' - it's WHAT the wind is blowin' I saw the same footage and was puzzled by the lack of "size" I in the wave & ignorantly thought to myself - big deal I can swin...BUT at least as far as that footage is concerned - it does not really show the fact that along with the massize surge of surf coming ashore is all the stuff it is carrying in with it. Another thing to ponder is if you have ever been to the beach and "surprised" by an unexpected wave. There has been occasions where I have been smacked down to the bottom by a 5' tall wave so just imagine minding your own business on dry land and being caught one! What an absolutley horrific tragedy.