_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
I wonder if I can cast 1 piece resin cast
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC
I was thinking of doing a one peice casting mold and wonder if I can do that. I seen a post on a wonderful article about 2 peice resin casting but can a 1 peice be done. I have never seen it done or heard about them.

Thanks

Happy Modeling
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:32 PM UTC
of course... it's done all the time....it just depends what and how big...and shape....what you got in mind?
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:46 PM UTC
As long as the piece is flat on one side and that side doesn't need to show detail, (such as a turret hatch) it can be done, do it all the time!
I am writing an article now for Armorama that will explain step by step one part and 2 part molds. If you can hang for a day or so, it will be submitted.

tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2004 - 01:47 PM UTC
It was just some gunshields I want to use for some OIF hummers I have and some t-62 or t-55 Iraq skirts. I was also thinking about some OIF updated ring stuff.

I'll wait till your finished with the article it's no rush I was just thinking about it.

Thanks for the HELP.

Happy Modeling
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
there only needs to be a section to use as the pour block...... I have some torso's that are detailed on almost all "sides" other than the leg arrachment point.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC
True, if the piece doesn't have hard undercuts, is cylindrical in nature, etc. it can be molded one piece. Examples of this are, as Matt stated above, torsos, or say, my finger. A crude example, but should give you an idea of the kinds of objects that don't require a 2 piece mold. As an example, if I were to cut off my finger :-) at the highest knuckle, then I stood that finger on end in a long moldbox with the tip pointing up, I could pour my silicone over it, covering the tip. When cured, I simply remove the finger from the bottom side and viola, there's a finger mold!! 1 pc, easy. It's Friday!!!!
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 07:19 AM UTC
check this link out;

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=62778

cheers

Philip
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am writing an article now for Armorama that will explain step by step one part and 2 part molds. If you can hang for a day or so, it will be submitted.

I have done all my molds (a very limited amount) in one piece because I am not sure how to do 2 piece correctly. I am looking forward to reading the article.

As far as doing your stuff in one piece it could work, but would probably do better as a 2 part. On large items with a flat side, like side skirts, you have to do a lot of sanding to get the open side level and the item to the right thickness. That's why I say 2 part may be better, a lot less sanding and probably less wasted material.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have done all my molds (a very limited amount) in one piece because I am not sure how to do 2 piece correctly. I am looking forward to reading the article.

As far as doing your stuff in one piece it could work, but would probably do better as a 2 part. On large items with a flat side, like side skirts, you have to do a lot of sanding to get the open side level and the item to the right thickness. That's why I say 2 part may be better, a lot less sanding and probably less wasted material.

There are many pieces that are just impossible to do as a single part mold, such as figures or this for example. This is one of the tower guns from the deathstar.

Anything with undercuts that would lock the piece into a single mold, needs to be a 2 parter.

The article is almost done.
 _GOTOTOP