TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Flight of the Phoenix remake
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 06:00 AM UTC
Here's a link to the trailer from the film...C-119 Flying Boxcar has always been my favorite plane. The original movie was so good and this remake , looking at the trailer, looks like it's going to be just as good. What with special effect capabilities in filmwork nowadays.

worth a look.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/flightofthephoenix/
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
I'm not too sure about that Kevin. I loved the original and the more I see of the trailer the more I'm suspicious about this remake. One of the best things about the original was it was mainly a character study, having the diverse group of people being put into a situation like this and watching them interact. This remake seems to focus far to much on the action elements. I understand that trailers have to get people into the seats but I'm not sure if this one is going to go overboard on CGI and such, and not enough on the people.

I'll probably wait until more people see it to make up my mind.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 09:48 AM UTC
Never saw the original. From what I see on the commercials it's like they crashed in the middle of the desert and the inhabitants are trying to get them. Sounds weird to me.
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:21 AM UTC
The novel by Elleston Trevor was written in 1964 and reflects a much simpler plot- lost in the desert, cut off from civilization, no help is going to be coming, what do we do to survive? It (the story) was simple yet powerful: Man against the desert.

I don't recall all the explosions and AK47 toting desert raiders from the trailer in either the novel or Jimmy Stewart's outstanding performance in the original movie.

My opinion is that Hollyweird think folks are stupid enough to buy into this remake by using today's smoke and mirrors to mask a mediocre film.

Yes, the novel and original film are very much on my top 10 list of books and movies and I've based all my opinions on a few cheesy trailers and my fondness for the originals.

My wife says I'm getting cranky and need to lay down with a cool compress across my eyes and to " remember it's only a movie."

So very sorry for the rant, I'm over-stimulated today because of the San Diego Chargers' 21-0 win over Cleveland. Go Bolts!

I'm taking my amateur movie critic soapbox and I'm going to take a time out.

Happy Holidays to all!

Bob K.