_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Inexpensive moto-tool at Wal-Mart
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 02:56 PM UTC
I had to go to Wally World last night to buy a few things for deer hunting and strolled through the tool aisles on my way out.

I found an interesting little mini-motor-tool with a pile of accessories for only $10!

Of course, I was suspicious, but I figured, "For $10, it's worth a chance." Besides that, my old, trusty Dremel is down with a broken bit in the chuck and the chuck won't open! I've sprayed the Dremel chuck down with penetrating oil, but while I'm waiting for it to loosen up, I'm playing with this little mini I got at Wal-Mart.

I can't find a pic of it in the WM online catalog, so I'll have to describe:

It comes in a aluminum-looking case (may be plastic ... I haven't tested it) about 6x8x2 inches. Inside, you find a small moto-tool with an on-off switch (no variable speed at this price range) with a 120V AC to 12V DC converter.

It comes with a pile of accessories, including 4 collets in 1mm, 2.3mm, 3mm and 3.2mm; 4 drill bits (2 in 3/64th in., and one each 3/32 and 7/64; a 20-piece "diamond polisher set;" one "metal engraving bit;" a wire brush set (3 piece); 8 sanding drums; 5 "cutting wheels" with mandrel; 10 "grinding stones;" 2 felt polishers with mandrel; and a few other bits. The bits all have rather long shafts for the size of the tool. About an inch of bit sticks out when its bottomed-out in the collet.

I tested it a bit and my Dremel and dental bits fit the collets OK. The tool itself doesn't have much torque, but spins pretty fast -- fast enough to melt plastic if you can't tune it down a bit. It worked well with my sewing-machine-foot-pedal-rheostat, even though it had to go through the AC converter.

In conclusion, I think it's a good deal for $10. If you get one, you may want to search the second-hand stores for a sewing machine foot pedal or other rheostat to control the speed.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
yep i saw that today too when I was in wal-mart. I took a good look at it and it was the same tool I had bought about 3 years ago off e-bay for about $10..

needless to say I never could do much with it... I now own a varible speed cordless dremal..

by the way the main reason I was unhappy with the tool was the wires kept getting in the way.. also unless you add the reostat to control the speed the thing just burns and melts the plastic...
 _GOTOTOP