_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Scratchbuilding Databank
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:26 PM UTC
Thanks Boss and young master Lim. Ave if you need the details just let me know. I still owe you for my neat Beachbum signature.

It may not be as good as Verlinden or Heki but its a lot, lot cheaper. Besides it was fun scratchbuilding it.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 11:22 PM UTC
Guys just in case anybody is thinking of a jungle dio, Amorama has published Part I of a 2-parter article I wrote on making jungle foliage, layout, etc.

All materials are available locally. Hope it helps.
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:26 PM UTC
CK, Good staff, I Like it..

And maybe this tip have been covered, to those have kid at home, do throw away the metal foil that cove the tepung susu, this could be very handy staff for seat belt, or rifer strip..
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 12:44 PM UTC
Lady (I'm assuming we have only one) & Gentlemen,

This isn't exactly scratchbuilding but in case anyone is looking for chrome paint I came across at 3 brands that have them in spray cans at ACE, MidValley.

I've heard Testors chrome is good and Model Color puts out a very expensive one too but I couldn't find neither. At any rate the spray cans are cheap and the cheapest one I bought, RM 12 I think, was safe on resin. Pretty good results. Maybe I put out a photo on the results when I finally get to finish my Viking vignette.

Styrene sheets are great for fabrication but balsa ain't too bad either and when sanded smooth gives decent results. For those in the Klang valley area, balsa sheets varying from 1 mm. to 1 cm. can be found at an Art supply shop (sorry forgot the name) behind the old Lim Kwok Wing Institute in the Taman Megah area just off the LDP.
sicktunez
Visit this Community
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 73 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
Yeah..

we BOLEH!

ive tried most o the things u guys ajar dulu. Some i jst experiment and try try buat...jadi wa cakap luu..

my fav is the rifle sling, sapa ntah ajar...lupa plak..
the use of tin milo's allumunium is just nice.

keep it coming sirs!

raiden
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 11:16 AM UTC
Does anyone know where to find liquid resin for replicating parts for scrathbuilding?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 11:20 AM UTC
hi there raiden...

i dont know where to get it, but i think somebody will provide you with the answer...

or perhaps u can ask the same question at our local forum

click here

druid_99
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 47 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:38 AM UTC
Well, I'm new here but I think I can give some things that I discover.

To all you smokers, I think the lighter has some things that is useful, be it the Cricket brand or the usual type. Inside there, there are a lot of cylindrical shapes that can be used for a lot of things. I use it as a replacement for exhaust tips.

Epoxy resin called Bondite is also useful for scratchbuilding as it is kneadable like a plasticine and when it hardens, it will be stone hard.

OHP (Over-head projector) slides can be used to replace windscreens.

Low grade toilet paper is good to simulate tarps with the help of white glue diluted in water as the branded ones will usually have some unrealistic patterns on it.

Maybe this is not useful to military modelers but pins from our newly bought shirts or pants (the ones with the rounded head) is a good substitute for gear on 1/24 cars (cut to desired length).

As for the liquid resin, there are some place available but the price can vary. There are some place that sells at very high price and there are some that sells at low price but you have to purchase a lot.

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I'm new here but I think I can give some things that I discover.

To all you smokers, I think the lighter has some things that is useful, be it the Cricket brand or the usual type. Inside there, there are a lot of cylindrical shapes that can be used for a lot of things. I use it as a replacement for exhaust tips.

Epoxy resin called Bondite is also useful for scratchbuilding as it is kneadable like a plasticine and when it hardens, it will be stone hard.

OHP (Over-head projector) slides can be used to replace windscreens.

Low grade toilet paper is good to simulate tarps with the help of white glue diluted in water as the branded ones will usually have some unrealistic patterns on it.

Maybe this is not useful to military modelers but pins from our newly bought shirts or pants (the ones with the rounded head) is a good substitute for gear on 1/24 cars (cut to desired length).

As for the liquid resin, there are some place available but the price can vary. There are some place that sells at very high price and there are some that sells at low price but you have to purchase a lot.

are u a smoker??

thanks for another good tips...there is also a small spring inside the lighter that will serve many purpose...

druid_99
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:58 PM UTC
I don't smoke lah Zaidi. Smoking is bad for the health of my models. If I smoke, for sure will make holes into the "money for model" portion.

I usually ask for used lighter from my friends who smoke. During my studying days, I even have a place for my friends to dispose their used lighter at my study table... hehehe...
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't smoke lah Zaidi. Smoking is bad for the health of my models. If I smoke, for sure will make holes into the "money for model" portion.

I usually ask for used lighter from my friends who smoke. During my studying days, I even have a place for my friends to dispose their used lighter at my study table... hehehe...

:[]--
good for you la ...i have to support my family, my kits and my smoking habbit.....

druid_99
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 06:53 AM UTC
I forgot another thing...

Alluminium cans. The can is thin and can be easily cut and used as a replacement just like photo-etch parts.

beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 07:05 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Imran. Its nice to have a crossover from SMM to Armorama. I see you have already discovered that Armorama has a civvie vehicle forum where I'm sure you will find good company as well. Thanks for sharing your experience as it will come in handy.
druid_99
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome aboard Imran. Its nice to have a crossover from SMM to Armorama. I see you have already discovered that Armorama has a civvie vehicle forum where I'm sure you will find good company as well. Thanks for sharing your experience as it will come in handy.

Thanks for the welcome CK Tang. It's actually a crossover from Zero-G to SMM to Armorama... hehehe

Well, since this forum have more infos towards armors, dioramas and military stuffs, I think I need to join here as well as SMM since I will be involving in some armor and aircraft projects in the near future as well as dioramas.

Another thing that I would like to share is there are clear epoxies that is in two part mixture that will hardens clear that can be used to create lens for lights and gauges. Can be obtained at most hardware stores.

Soft alluminium wrappers from cigerette boxes is a very suitable material to be used to replicate heat shields on high performace cars engine cover (Enzo's, F50's, etc)

kuman
Visit this Community
Kedah, Malaysia
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 07:02 AM UTC
new in here as well.. and ported over from SMM --> Armorama just to support our local "boys" in here..

- so what are the essential thing needed if we want to scratchbuild some parts? let say an aircraft missile?
- i heard about using Bondite.. so anyone have any specific step on how to use this material..

thanks guys...

kuman
ccliew
Visit this Community
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
entire network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC
This is Liew from Muar. You can get clear resin from Venus ART along Jalan Petaling. Two part resin is kind of expensive stuff. It cost me RM50 ( if not mistake for a small bottle.)
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is Liew from Muar. You can get clear resin from Venus ART along Jalan Petaling. Two part resin is kind of expensive stuff. It cost me RM50 ( if not mistake for a small bottle.)

Hi Liew, welcome to KakiModels...
perhaps you can put a little intro of yourself here, there is an introduction thread on this page...love to learn about Muar modelling scene..........
 _GOTOTOP