Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Changing ISP and book marks?
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hello I'm kind of stumped here, I used to have a AOL based ISP before, and now I changed back to a explorer, outlook set up.

The only trouble is I don't know how to change my bookmarks from WMC favorites over to Yahoos book marks.

I had the same trouble when I changed to Walmart, with them being an AOL based provider, I lost all my Yahoo bookmarks, and it took me months to recover, not only that I also change computers so my old Yahoo won't do me any good either, cause I no longer have that computer.

I talked to the tech people, and they either don't want to take the time, or they really don't know anything about Yahoo, cause Yahoo is the only thing I found that said anything about book marks.

They mentioned something else, but I have no idea what they are talking about, cause I know very little about computers.

I have been writing down all the normal addresses, but I don't know how to deal with the ones that are like this, when I click to see the address this is what shows, instead of the normal www, or whatever else works. I'll show you an example of one of these addresses, to see if you can tell me how to make them work.

name=Styrene&product%5Fid=High+Impact+Styrene+Sheet

This is the complete address it shows under the name of the place, and when I had WMC service all I had to do was click on this and it would take me to this site, but I tried typing in this address, and it shows, address can't be found, is there something else to it that doesn't show in the address part. This is a place that sells Styrene products, I can't even remember their name, just that I marked it cheap bulk styrene.

If somebody could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Kerry
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC
Kerry,

The address you showed in your post seems to be a partial address of a search string or something like that. Every address on the web, no matter where you go or what you see, will start with either HTTP:// or HTTPS:// and then if will usually be followed by WWW. I think that you have a large portion of the address missing. Go back to the site and then put your cursor on the address line and then using the arrow keys move it all the way to the left. That should take you to the beginning of the address line.

As far as the bookmarks go I am a bit confused as to why you can't get your hands on them. What is so special about Yahoo! that won't let you copy your bookmarks over? I know that AOL uses its own Internet browsing interface but even so you should be able to retain your bookmarks (aka favorites).

what were you using as your Internet browser with Yahoo!?
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
These may help:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/browser/browser-04.html

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/bkmk/bkmk-12.html

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/bkmk/bkmk-09.html

Otherwise you can google it and should be able to find more answers.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hello Ben, on that first one I clicked on it, and was doing what it said, cause I pretty much figured they was going to help me, I downloaded the first part, but I couldn't figure out why they wanted to know the number I had to dial out to get on line.

Not until I got to the other part, here they was trying to shang hi me over to their net work, and as soon as I seen I was signing up for their service, I started to hit abort on everything, I was so mad, I had just paid for a 1 year of service here, and I don't need to be changing the first week.

I just want to change my book marks not my Internet service provider, I wonder why they would do such a thing.

It starts out to say to change your bookmarks over, all you haft to do is down load this, and follow their instructions, it didn't mention nothing about changing ISP, just book marks.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
Thank You Very much Ben, That second one had the information for me to transfer all my book marks over, maybe that down load on the first part might of helped, I'll never know, but when I followed the directions on the second one all 132 book marks went over.

That saved me months of time, well this time it wouldn't of been months cause they all weren't erased like they were the first time, but it would of taken me a long time to type all these in.

Not only that, some of them, I don't know why, in the address, they only showed partial addresses, so I would of never been able to write them down, but they are all saved now thanks to you. I'm real grateful
Many Thanks again

Kerry