_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
FEATURE
  Paint Conversion Chart
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 10:33 PM UTC
Ex-Royal has done a Conversion Chart for some of the more common Paint lines!!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 11:24 PM UTC
Thanks Bryan! Nothing more useful than a good conversion chart...Will use it soon, sir...

Gunny
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 01:31 AM UTC
Guys,

I noticed i cut off the Humbrol/ testors numbers....Will repair as soon as I get home.....ACK!!!!
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
Matt

Can you please explain the 2 different Humbrol numbers. The left hand Humbrol column I understand as they are the numbers I am familiar with.

Are we missing out on something here in Aussie (again!)

Brian
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:35 AM UTC
Brian,
The numbers on the left are for different paint manufacturers other than Humbrol. I.e Tamiya on the left and the corresponding Humbrol number on the right. the chart is used as a cross refference to other paint types. HTH
cheers,
Bryan
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
Such paint conversion charts are interesting, but I suggest you take them with a grain of salt. My experience shows that more often than not the only thing similar between two paints in such table is the paint name!

One such examle is Tamiya XF-62 color, Revell 66 color and Humbrol 66 color. They are all Olive Drab, but they are VERY different. The same is true for many other colors I tried to match. Sometimes colors shown in tables as equivalents are not even similar in reality...

Pawel
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
The chart is used soley as a guide and not a comparison in shades or paint quality. It is used if you want to use one brand of paint over the other and only the Humbrol or vice versa numbers are given. It does not include mix ratios as this would take way to long to compile and there are mix charts on the net.. As to taking this directly from the Humbrol chart im afraid your wrong . I have not copied anthing from humbrol or anyone else for that matter. I would hope that there are similarites in my conclusions otherwise I would be way off base. But if this is a problem remove the chart.
Bryan
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 03:20 AM UTC
Ahhh, someone's always got to get the stick in there and stir it up, eh? I was going to say who cares if the chart is copied, I'm sure Ex would have said that the chart came from so and so...and once again it comes down to which shade is "correct"...HUMBUG! Shades were never really the same for each paint run, and with weathering, the shade is going to change anyways (I went on about this in an really old thread, so I won't babble here about it)

Bryan, thank you so much for the chart conversion, this will come in very useful to me, the only thing I hoped you could have done was a Tamiya/Gunze chart, or a Gunze/Testors chart..as all of those Dragon kits are in Gunze paints, and I can't get Gunze paints where I live! ha ha
Great stuff 'bro!
-Kelly
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
Hi Kelly,
Thanks for the support and I hope the chart can be of some help. I thought about crossreferncing the other paints and still might do that time permitting. Also I dont think Vodnik was stirring it up but his question did have a rather accusatory tone to it. After reading it I did a quick google search on Humbrol Paint charts and came up with about 7 that are quite similar to mine. But I dont think they were all copied from Humbrol I susspect they came to the same conclusions as I did in a similar manner.
Cheers,
Bryan
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 07:34 AM UTC
Whether the chart is exactly correct or copied is insignificant to me. The fact that you took the time to do it for us IS significant. Thanks, Bryan.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is used if you want to use one brand of paint over the other and only the Humbrol or vice versa numbers are given.

I believe that more useful in such case would be just a simple list of Humbrol paint names. Refering one paint number to another gives false impression that colors are identical, what is rarely the case.

Quoted Text

As to taking this directly from the Humbrol chart im afraid your wrong . I have not copied anthing from humbrol or anyone else for that matter. I would hope that there are similarites in my conclusions otherwise I would be way off base.

Yes, you are right - I apologize! Your chart is a bit different from the one in Humbrol Colour System catalogue. But I must say that you achievement is impressive, because there is just a handful of numbers on all charts, which differ from those in the catalogue. And your tables are equaly close to Urban Fredriksson's Color Reference Charts published on IPMS Stockholm website (http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_humbrol.htm), so you may be proud of yourself - you did a great job! I removed unfortunate comment from my earlier post.

Could you tell us something more about how you created those charts? Did you just match paint names? Or did you use some other method?

Pawel
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the only thing I hoped you could have done was a Tamiya/Gunze chart, or a Gunze/Testors chart..as all of those Dragon kits are in Gunze paints, and I can't get Gunze paints where I live!

You can try to visit IPMS Stockholm website to find what you need. There are many color conversion charts there: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts_2.asp.

Pawel
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 11:47 AM UTC
all fixed!!!
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC

Bryan

Thanks - a great deal of effort has gone into this.

Matt - yep makes sense now - I must have been looking at the first version - or more likely too big a day at work for my brain to get around the numbers.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP