Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
another one bites the dust
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 04:28 PM UTC
Went to a modelshop near me today to get a Pzr IV, guess what? He's closing down . He can't afford to open any longer as he is not taking enough money.
The only shop in a wide area who had only models, and some train stuff. It's where I was getting all my Mirage etc. stuff.. He had a few Tamiya kits, but to give him credit, not many. My local toyshop who also stocks a few models is planning on taking his stock, but he doesn't build armor (he is into RC cars and planes, bless him ) and it was nice to go to a shop where thee guy behind the counter doesn't just ring up the till, but knows what you talk about and enjoys himself. I've seen him behind the counter sticking punched rivets on to a nodel whilst serving customers. Top Man.
His shop will be sorely missed, at least by me.
one reason he gave is that, inevitably, he has lost trade to the internet. Whilst I'm not against the internet trade, far from it, remember: if you don't use it, you loose it. Don't buy all your kits from the internet, give some of your money to the good guys in the small modelshops.

Henk
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 04:54 PM UTC
Hence the rallying cry, "Support your local hobby shop."
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 11:47 PM UTC
I don't have a LHS. The one we did have closed about 6 months ago. He was a big train guy and only had one 1/35th scale model in the whole store. I would buy all my other supplies there, though. Closest shop now is an hour away north or south, in Fort Wayne or Indy. I can however, walk to 10 shops from the office where I can buy all the NASCAR crap anyone would ever need, from hats and jackets to die cast cars. Bah. I do make a shop run to Indy about once a quarter. Don't buy much off the internet unless I can't get it from a brick a mortar. (Fruil tracks, for example)

Shaun
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 06:38 AM UTC
If I had a local model shop I'd use it - nearly 20 years since the last one shut. All we have now is a toy shop that sells humbrol paint and a few cheapy Airfix kits.
12 miles to my nearest Modelzone, but that barely counts as a model shop as most of it is RC cars and ready made collectibles.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
I have the best of both worlds. There are 2 LHS owned by the same guy that has 50/50 military and Warcraft type stuff. Then the home base of one of the big internet discounters is near me too. If I am willing to wait I can get inexpensive stuff from the internet place as they are open to non-net purchases only twice per month. If I cannot wait then I have to drive a little farther to my LHS, which carries more kits but less accessories
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 07:57 AM UTC
I wouldn't mind buying in the LHS, if they weren't ripping me off....

I've got 3 modelling shops quite nearby and another 2 near my work. Of those 5, 4 are charging about 5 to15% on normal prices. So excuse me if I buy my stuff somewhere else.

I once told one off them I buy my stuff online (in the Netherlands), and he starts whining that we have a higher tax-rate. Yeah, doh... 21% instead of 20% big deal. That doesn't account for an on average difference of 10%. And if one guy can sell it at normal prices, why can't he??

And... nearly none of them sell things like Aber, Eduard, Hornet,... Oh sure, some things they can order. I once ordered something from Verlinden. It took them 6 (yes six...) months to get it....

I sometimes do buy there (in the cheap one that is), but only if it is on impulse, otherwise it is the internet or on modelling shows.

Kris
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I had a local model shop I'd use it - nearly 20 years since the last one shut. All we have now is a toy shop that sells humbrol paint and a few cheapy Airfix kits.

Same here Dave, as he stocks the complete range of Humbrol paints, I try to buy all my Humbrol (enamel) paint from him. If he kept other (useful to me) items I would buy these from him too.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 11:44 AM UTC
We are really blessed here with two chain stores, Hobby Town, one independent store, Complete Games and Hobbies, and three Hobby Lobbys. This is why I almost always buy from one of these brick and mortar shops, to keep them in business. Even if I could save a buck or two online I'll buy from them to keep them in business. If they were marking their kits up though, as some here have said, then all bets are off. They deserve to go out of business. As long as their prices are in line I'll keep giving them my business.

Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 03:42 PM UTC
There are supposed to be two hobby shops I know here in Cebu. The first one is named E & I Hobby Shop (named for its owners) and the second one is Stars and Stripes.

The first one closed due to mismanagement. They weren't really closing due to bad sales. They lost a lot due to the arrogant guy they hired behind the counter.

The remaining one, Stars and Stripes, is the only "true" hobby shop remaining in Cebu. They are a direct dealer of Tamiya, Academy and Dragon. They used to sell Italeri kits but the cost of importing them direct from Europe is prohibitive.

It's far from closing since the owners are quite clever in their marketing. Aside from model kits, they sell RCs, mini racers, airsoft guns, toys and their accessories. Also, I think the modeling industry here in Cebu is slowly improving; I saw new faces checking out kits whenever I visit there.

What I can't understand is that why they don't sell aftermarket products.

Angela
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What I can't understand is that why they don't sell aftermarket products.

Angela

I think maybe unless they're in demand especially in your area, your LHS wouldn't carry AM parts. As I have observed, most AM parts are a bit pricey & selling them where the demand is low to almost non existent is bad for business. Maybe you could ask your LHS to order for you if you need a certain type of AM part. Just my suggestion.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 04:52 PM UTC
I can honestly say that before I use the net, I check out my local hobby shops, got 2 within a ten mile radius. One F&M in Denville is mainly a RailRoad dude with a good kit selection, just about every paint line, except Humbrols and Ciditaels.. Complete line of evergreen, and Plasticstrut. Several racks of model ship fittings, etc. And just about every do-dad detail part made for the Model Railroad guys.
The other guy, a little further up the road in Kenvile (Kenville Hobbies) is an RC dude, but also has a decent kit stock, and it's funny, but he seems to carry the few do-dads that F&M doesn't. He also carries a small supply of after-market stuff.
If I head out for a longer drive, about 40 miles, I get to not only go to a huge hobby shop.... 4 aisles of kits, (supermarket type ones I might add) plus is an old friend of 40 + years.
So I do support the local hobby shops.... BUT... unfortunately many times they do not have a kit, or something I looking for, and it turns out easier for me to simply surf the web until I find a place that has it listed in stock. Usually the stuff I order on line are items the LHS wouldn't order or take the time to find. And sometimes that "4AM.... got to order something uncontrollable behaviour just takes over....... " LOL.....
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 04:53 PM UTC
I know how you feel Henk. We used to have a nice shop like that near here. I was fortunate enough to work ther when I was in high school. I learned a great deal from the owners. They sold it when they retired a few years back and the new owners were not able to make a go of it. It's a shame.
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 04:57 AM UTC
If it's any consolation, Whitchurch Models in Whitchurch, Shropshire has opened his new, improved, bigger, 2 storey store!! He (Martin) sells most kits, doll house stuff, r/c planes & cars, railways, Scalextric and is friendly and helpful. If you live near by go and see him!!

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 05:37 AM UTC
Shaun, nah, I live the other side of Bath. I guess Whitchurch is about three hours travel. Bit far for me. There is a large modelshop in Frome, Somerset which is not to far from where I live, but not close enough to pop down if you 'fancy a browse'.

2 stories eh. plenty of browsing there then..

Cheers
Henk
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:56 AM UTC
Sad as it is to see the brick and morter Hobby Shop go by the way side - it is evolution.

Just as the dinosaurs gave way to warm blooded creatures, including man, so to the hobby store.

Where I live there are still some stores - but their prices are full retail. I can go on-line and pick up most everything at substantial discount. And then there is E-Bay. Bid low and who knows what you can walk away with.

Here are but a few examples:

Italeri HEMTT 10 ton Cargo Truck - Retail $39.95 - E-Bay price $9.95 + $6.50 shipping.

Tamiya M2A2 - Retail $36.00 - E-Bay 12.50 + shipping.

Eduard Photoetch for the above - Retail $23.00 - E-Bay
$14.99.

MRC M113A2 - Retail $35.00 - E-Bay $9.95 + Shipping

I could go on, but I think you get the point. The store front is good for the occasional paint run and for some glue, other than than I now primarily buy on the web.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 01:36 PM UTC
I for one use the internet or better still ebay. Got the 350 scale USS Enterprise for $100. the LHS wanted $199. Ninety nine dollars is one heck of a difference. I was able to buy a PE set, extra planes, special decals, paint, and still have money left over. Sorry full retail plus 8% tax and at $1.80 a gallon for gas ain't worth it. I buy supplies like paint, glue and brushes, even then I buy what I can at Hobby Lobby when they put stuff on sale.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC
One shop sold and is basically on hold, with most of the stuff in the shop in boxes or whatever.. The guy managing it is a duffus, but a nice duffus. I took him a squadron flyer and marked up the good makers and stuff he could sell locally. The other is a craft shop first, but they carry a small selection of kits and they actually had a tank and an Amtrack in there yesterday! My son was with me though, and I could not buy the Abrams without the kid teling the wife (I an on a no-buy promis).

There are two or three other heavy builders in town so they should survive.

I too buy online, especially here in Alaska!!

Lance
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 07:09 PM UTC
When I was in the hobby industry, there were only about 8 shops left in the entire SA - not even 10 years before there at been 80 +!

They were closing not only due to rising costs, but due to a shrinking market. I don't think the sole reason for this is kids playing PC games - I think the generations that told the war stories haved passed on.

Re. supporting my LHS, why should I support my LHS when he has no interest in supporting my hobby? He is more interested in his PC aircraft mates and talking $h!t to them than accepting my payment (when he actually has the stock!) I now use a craft store that keeps a few kits, trains and a good supply of Humbrol and Testors paints.

The other reason for me using the internet to shop for kits is that there is so much more to choose from online vs. what is kept in shops - it's always the same, Tamiya, Italiri, Revell, Airfix, Academy...

Now... off the soap box and back to work... :-)