History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
what kind of history do you like?
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
so...what kind of history do you like, i'm looking for time periods and types (doesnt have to always be military history) i am into all of the types except for the 1800s(excluding the civilwar) up to ww1. as i dont know much about it, but i'd like to learn more. i do really well with the ancient history, but more and more am i reading about ww2 than anything else.
Verboten
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 02:53 PM UTC
I am greatly intersested in Ancient history and the Middle Ages. However, recently, about 2 years ago, I became extremely interested in the Second World War. I have read a lot about it and I am now just as interested in it as Ancient history.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 03:29 PM UTC
My Interests are mainly in military / political history from 1800's to today. If you look at the two side by side they reflect the views of society at the time. I have looked into the American revolution but the politics are very strange and the military history is still very ridgid and propper.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
For me it is the usual--World Wars 1 & 2. I have a (bad) habit of being more interested in the hardware used than the people who used them.

I also dabble in medievil history. There the personalities really come to life.

On the other hand the latest book I am reading is "A History Of Mathematics" by Carl B. Boyer (with a foreward by Isaac Asimov of "I, Robot" fame).
It is a real page turner!
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 06:06 PM UTC
Obviously, I like to read about WW II. I also enjoy learning more about the Korean Conflict (I consider it a war). Aside from military type history, I like to read about the history of the railroads in the U.S. I read about the Santa Fe, Union Pacific, and Milwaukee Road the most. I will also read about any of the others too. I am also interested in the history of the working class since the Industrial Revolution.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 06:19 PM UTC
I'm somewhat intrigued by the so-called dark ages as well as the origins and early histories of western religions and mythologies.
As a natural evolution from that I also enjoy medieval history.
From the European renaissance forwards I tend to only really express interest in military history. I guess that's a result of having the rest of the aspects of this age pounded into my head while at school. For that same reason I steer clear of African history.
Although I know the general basics of American history (i.e, Revolution, Civil War, Mexican War, Korea, 'Nam) this holds little appeal to me other than in movies. Although I appreciate the military advances these brought around, I guess it is just too far removed.
Only within the last year or so have I rediscovered my interest in WW1& 2, specifically the North African desert and Mediteranean theatres. Apart from that I have little interest in 20th century history.
TheRedBaron
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 11:48 PM UTC
Well mainly WW2 as I used to lecture on it and my MA was based in that area... so...

Airborne Forces 1939-45
Panzerwaffe
Waffen SS
Normandy Campaign
Schwere Panzer Abt.
Arnhem
Soviet Army 1930-45

Just about anything on ww2 really! Out of my 1500 or so books I guess 65% are on ww2...

Other than that my interests lie with British Colonialism, particuarly in India during the 1840s & 1850s, Napoleonics and AWI. Have also got rather interested in the ACW lately and the Imperial Roman period...
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
Ancient and Roman history (something to do with work ) then a big gap until the 18th century.

Medieval history is something I try to avoid, once the Saxons turn up then I lose interest....
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 07:23 AM UTC
My interest run something like this:

WW2:
- Development of British Armoured Doctrine
- Allied Grand Strategy
- British Operations in NW Europe
- RAF Ops
- Dieppe
- Battle of France 1940
- The War in Burma
- Development of inter war strategies
- The Royal Navy

WW1:
- The War in Air
- Development of Battle Tactics
- The Western Front
- Palestine
- Anglo-German Naval Rivalry

19th Century:
- French Army of the 2nd Empire
- German Wars of Unification
- Franco-Prussian War
- Crimean War
- ACW

And the History of the French Foreign Legion

I think that is about it.

Ross
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 07:45 AM UTC
Well, nearly every era has its interesting points. But I am mostly interested in the technology of warfare and the 'secret' side of war. Also the periode in between WW1 and WW2 can attract my attention.

But my absolut priorities go to the liberation of Antwerp and the clearing of the Scheldt estuary ( can I be a bit chauvinistic...) and Brigade Piron.

Kris
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 12:09 AM UTC
My main interest is The Civil War. You can see what we do to preserve that history at http://www.BelleCityRifles.com . I also have a strong interest in the WWII Pacific war, particularly The Battle of Midway and the Guadalcanal campaign.

-Charlie
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 11:19 PM UTC
Prefer ancient history thru medieval, as well as British history and some European wars (especially the Thirty Years War). Amercian Civil War also fascinates me.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 04:55 PM UTC
ancient history for me

Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 08:50 AM UTC
WWI does it for me. From the first shot to the last "big bang". I can't get enough of it.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 02:23 PM UTC
I'd have to say Military History would be number one on my list. Not just modern warfare but everything dating back to beyond Roman days. I like tatics, how to you win a war. But that is another subject. Second up would be the Dark Ages ... what happened to make mankind take so many steps backwards from where they were? Then third the middle ages. But as modelling goes I like WWII, Modern, and WWI in that order. Oh I'll admit it I like all military modelling from the Armor age forward.

Dave
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
I'd like to model one day one of those super kits from Model Expo like the HMS Victory .... but man are those things pricey. I saw one kit that was about $1000. I'm not sure I could ivest the time and money it would take to build one of those.

Dave