Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Do we have strange interests?
SnakeEye
Visit this Community
Rodopi, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 310 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 10:03 AM UTC
Every time that I buy a magazine for defence, military or modelling, my family (father, mother, wife etc.) says "Why do you interested to war? The war is a bad thing. Why dont you buy some magazines that could be more useful to you? For example computer magazines?" And every time I have to say "I am not intersted to war, I just like studying the war and see why people fought through history and learn from their mistakes so we can avoid them." Maybe I am not convincing them enough, and the story goes on and on.
So I am asking to you. Do we really have strange interests or people cannot understand our interests?
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
it is always a problem they always think military modelling hobby and devoted modelers are related to WAR . there are so many things to tell and so many examples to show them we are not WAR FANATICS. but the easiest way is '' Just tell one of them to join ARMORAMA and follow the forum posts.'' as he will the see the high quality level of information,experience, and BROTHER-SISTERHOOD here ,he will understand what is military modelling.... besides Military is not War. the objective is to keep world in peace.

in some cases;war in inevitable
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Every time that I buy a magazine for defence, military or modelling, my family (father, mother, wife etc.) says "Why do you interested to war? The war is a bad thing. Why dont you buy some magazines that could be more useful to you? For example computer magazines?" And every time I have to say "I am not intersted to war, I just like studying the war and see why people fought through history and learn from their mistakes so we can avoid them." Maybe I am not convincing them enough, and the story goes on and on.
So I am asking to you. Do we really have strange interests or people cannot understand our interests?

Naw,, we just have a different way of looking at things. We preserve history in a miniature way.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 12:27 PM UTC
I guess this kind of comes with the territory. What we do is recreate military history in miniature. We read and study military history to achieve more realistic results. There is absolutely nothing wrong with reading military related materials. Actually it is strongly suggested. :-)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 02:36 PM UTC
I don't remember who said the quote but

War is a very bad thing and it is a necessity. If you do not understand that concept you cannot understand peace and you will never be fit to lead
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 03:22 PM UTC
If one studys world history, a big part of that is wars! It has always been a part of mans life . Most of what I model are the men who fought, and there machines they used. I realy dont model war, The wars are over of the era's I model. So it is the history which I model!

Another point, what harm is it doing? It is holsome and good past time. Myself for example, My modeling always keeps me home with my family. I dont go out drinking with the guys and chase the other sex cheating on my wife. I dont do drugs. It is a great hobby! And good for my whole family.

Regards,

Garry
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 05:38 PM UTC
Yeah, I ask the wife, "where am I?": out in my den working on my models or doing something on the computer, not out chasing tail or drinking, etc. Exactly, and I know a lot about history and other things because of this hobby as well. I have used my modeling tools and skills several times to fix little things around the house that I probably could not have fixed otherwise.