Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Fights
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 09:12 AM UTC
Any of you dudes ever get in a any fights in the service with others? I about 10 or so.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 10:07 AM UTC
Just in college with a bunch of merchant marine midshipmen once. Needless to say, they started it and we ended it. Couple of the guys on my side were recent Ranger school grads.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC
Once, onboard the Enterprise. Kid bit me, then picked himself up off the deck after he woke up.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:18 PM UTC
Twice,

first time in Boot Camp when we were doing a 25 mile march. Halfway down the track we had to wear gasmasks. The guy behind me was constantly stepping on the back of my feet.....I warned him twice and he wouldn't listen..... I hit him with the back of my Fall rifle on the filter of his gasmask. The filtermarkings where on his face for two days.

The second time was in a bar in Sennelager Germany. We had the Saturday night off and went to the local bar with our platoon. The bar was filled with British infantry guys (though it looked more like we were in prison looking at there obscure faces X8- )

The guys where nagging us and wouldn't let us buy the beers we desperately needed after two weeks in a very hot and dusty field excercise. The 25mm gunner from my AFV got fed up with it, went to the biggest guy of all and started to push him around. The big Brit didn't like this a bit and he started yelling to his mates. Next thing I know was that the British guys picked up the tree-trunk chairs (yes chairs made from trees, because the regular chairs didn't last longer than a month in that bar) an started to throw these at us. The battle had begun Holland vs. the UK........ after 10 minutes or so the British MP's came in and started to pick us all up and throw us on the street..... That was my first flight lesson....the take off was ok, but the landing on the concrete....lousy........ I woke up on Sunday morning in the Camp prison with the rest of the bar visitor, bot Dutch and UK. At 11 o' clock they let us out. The British guys apologized for bad behaviour and we invited them for breakfast which they accepted. And Sunday afternoon......we played soccer with our last nights enemies..... and we all....lived happily ever after... pfew..

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Twice,

first time in Boot Camp when we were doing a 25 mile march. Halfway down the track we had to wear gasmasks. The guy behind me was constantly stepping on the back of my feet.....I warned him twice and he wouldn't listen..... I hit him with the back of my Fall rifle on the filter of his gasmask. The filtermarkings where on his face for two days.

The second time was in a bar in Sennelager Germany. We had the Saturday night off and went to the local bar with our platoon. The bar was filled with British infantry guys (though it looked more like we were in prison looking at there obscure faces X8- )

The guys where nagging us and wouldn't let us buy the beers we desperately needed after two weeks in a very hot and dusty field excercise. The 25mm gunner from my AFV got fed up with it, went to the biggest guy of all and started to push him around. The big Brit didn't like this a bit and he started yelling to his mates. Next thing I know was that the British guys picked up the tree-trunk chairs (yes chairs made from trees, because the regular chairs didn't last longer than a month in that bar) an started to throw these at us. The battle had begun Holland vs. the UK........ after 10 minutes or so the British MP's came in and started to pick us all up and throw us on the street..... That was my first flight lesson....the take off was ok, but the landing on the concrete....lousy........ I woke up on Sunday morning in the Camp prison with the rest of the bar visitor, bot Dutch and UK. At 11 o' clock they let us out. The British guys apologized for bad behaviour and we invited them for breakfast which they accepted. And Sunday afternoon......we played soccer with our last nights enemies..... and we all....lived happily ever after... pfew..

you should read my post in basic and army then same thing happened to me in Basic.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just in college with a bunch of merchant marine midshipmen once. Needless to say, they started it and we ended it. Couple of the guys on my side were recent Ranger school grads.

Cool glad the rangers were on your side!!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Once, onboard the Enterprise. Kid bit me, then picked himself up off the deck after he woke up.

Another good one. had the guy that checked weapons out {armorer} one time messing around with me at Ft. Rucker play fighting well he hit me with the end of my M-60 that I was checking out to clean. Well should of seen him after I fattened his lip. He had to hand out all the weapons and explain what happened to his lip kept on telling everybody that he hit himself with an M-16 barrel boy these were the best of times. . We were still friends had to be as he was an E-4 and me an E-5 , he asked me if I was going to get him in trouble for hitting me first said hell NO, live and let live.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 05:39 AM UTC
Seems that most of my memorable experiences have occurred while with the 82nd Airborne....Hmmmm. This ones no different. While with the 82nd we manned the ancient M551A1 and had to travel to Ft. Knox to shoot SIMNET. Everytime we went there were always fights. On my first trip to knox with the unit we hit the DZ at approximatley 1600 and were in the club and drinkning by 1800. Many of us jumped our own booze into Knox and began before we ever got off of the DZ. As the night wore on the local tankers starting taking offense to us and our drinkning. Somewhere around 0200 as the club closed a fight broke out. There were 11 of us that went to jail that night, and probably twice that many of the local tankers that went for the free dental work the next morning. The report went back to Bragg from Knox and the CG's only question was if we had won or not. We were locked for the remainder of the week we were there, but the beer continued to flow. "Q"
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
Nope - as a Security Policeman - I got to pick up both the leftovers and the victors. Now, Riot Control on Okinawa is a different story...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any of you dudes ever get in a any fights in the service with others? I about 10 or so.

......I was in the Corp, back in the early 70's.......of course I was in fights. I also did my share of 'rolling'.... Ahhhhh, the early days.

Tread.

...have I got stories.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 07:34 AM UTC
O.K......I'll share one that was a surprise to even me (a guy brought up on the streets of Newark)

The short version:
Was walking into the E club late one night with four other Marines intending to get very close to Mother Dilerium, when we bump into some SeaBee's who had just gotten back from the 'Nam.
Anyway, one of my fellow Marines held the door open for them as a normal courtesy. Well they didn't say "Thank You" to my friend. So he said, " frick you very much then!" Well the SeaBee's stopped dead in their tracks. I knew they were in the mood, and to be honest, so were we. To tell the truth I thought, " fricking 'Sea Bee's', they shouldn't be poo-poo ". So, we all proceeded to 'waltz'. I'm here to tell you. We almost got our asses handed to us. The only thing that saved us from finding out the true outcome was the SP's. (bless their little heart's).
Go's to show, never underestimate your opponent.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 07:36 AM UTC
fricking...?, poo-poo...?.........ah, Jim.

my apologies.

Tread.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

......I was in the Corp, back in the early 70's.......of course I was in fights. I also did my share of 'rolling'.... Ahhhhh, the early days.

Tread.

...have I got stories.

Lets hear him. You know they say this and that don't tell me you got along with everybody have to let the steam off somewhere.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 02:30 PM UTC
I was in a fight once in elementary school... my friend broke his precious ruler on the top of my head. He cried because of the loss and I told everybody that I'm stronger than him... All the girls loved me cause I was the real man... Now those were the days... :-) :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Mario M.
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was in a fight once in elementary school... my friend broke his precious ruler on the top of my head. He cried because of the loss and I told everybody that I'm stronger than him... All the girls loved me cause I was the real man... Now those were the days... :-) :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Mario M.

Great story!
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 09:55 AM UTC
The only fights we seemed to get into was with the locals. I guess they didn't like us Military dudes, because we all had all of our teeth, and jobs.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The only fights we seemed to get into was with the locals. I guess they didn't like us Military dudes, because we all had all of our teeth, and jobs.

LOL

Hanging around with Bubba and his pals.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 12:10 PM UTC
*Sigh* The memories eh?Lol.
2CDO
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
Uncle Bob

The teacher gave her fifth grade class an assignment: get their parents to tell them a story with a moral at the end of it. The next day the kids came back and one by one began to tell their stories.

Kathy said, "My father's a farmer and we have a lot of egg-laying hens. One time we were taking our eggs to market in a basket an the front seat of the pickup when we hit a bump in the road and the eggs went flying and broke and made a mess."
"And what's the moral of the story?" asked the teacher.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket!"

"Very good," said the teacher. "Now, Lucy?"

"Our family are farmers too. But we raise chickens for the meat market. We had a dozen eggs one time, but when they hatched we only got ten live chicks. And the moral to this story is, don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

"That's a fine story Lucy," she continued. "Johnny, do you have a story to share?"

"Yes ma'am, my daddy told me this story about my Uncle Bob. Uncle Bob was a Green Beret in Vietnam and his helicopter got hit. He had to crash land in enemy territory and all he had was a bottle of whiskey, a machine gun and a machete. He drank the whiskey on the way down so it wouldn't break and then he landed right in the middle of 100 enemy troops. He killed seventy with the machine gun until he ran out of bullets, then he killed twenty more with with the machete till the blade broke and then kill the last ten with his bare hands."

"Good heavens," said the teacher, "What kind of moral did your daddy tell you
from that horrible story?"

"Don't frick with Uncle Bob when he's been drinking."
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Uncle Bob

The teacher gave her fifth grade class an assignment: get their parents to tell them a story with a moral at the end of it. The next day the kids came back and one by one began to tell their stories.

Kathy said, "My father's a farmer and we have a lot of egg-laying hens. One time we were taking our eggs to market in a basket an the front seat of the pickup when we hit a bump in the road and the eggs went flying and broke and made a mess."
"And what's the moral of the story?" asked the teacher.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket!"

"Very good," said the teacher. "Now, Lucy?"

"Our family are farmers too. But we raise chickens for the meat market. We had a dozen eggs one time, but when they hatched we only got ten live chicks. And the moral to this story is, don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

"That's a fine story Lucy," she continued. "Johnny, do you have a story to share?"

"Yes ma'am, my daddy told me this story about my Uncle Bob. Uncle Bob was a Green Beret in Vietnam and his helicopter got hit. He had to crash land in enemy territory and all he had was a bottle of whiskey, a machine gun and a machete. He drank the whiskey on the way down so it wouldn't break and then he landed right in the middle of 100 enemy troops. He killed seventy with the machine gun until he ran out of bullets, then he killed twenty more with with the machete till the blade broke and then kill the last ten with his bare hands."

"Good heavens," said the teacher, "What kind of moral did your daddy tell you
from that horrible story?"

"Don't frick with Uncle Bob when he's been drinking."

That is a good one 2CDO
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
I can't say that I've had any fights in the service, but I did have a particularly humorous one while in Boy Scouts.

I have trained in various martial arts for almost 10 years, but I chose to keep this a secret as many people feel they should test your skill. Two years ago I got my shoulder dislocated during training, so my secret was out. After I healed up a kid in my Boy Scout Troop who was always looking for trouble (and quite frankly wasn't very good at dealing it out) decided to pick a fight with me. Mind you we are both about the same size. I tried talking out of it as I'm not a big fan of solving problems with my fists. He didn't feel like talking it out and threw a punch at me. After a couple shots back and forth I took him to the ground. We rolled around for a little bit and I got him into a closed guard (I was on my back with my legs wrapped around his waist. This allows for range control as well as the setup for a variety of submissions and holds). He still is trying to punch me but I extend myself to make it harder him to hit me. I bring him in every now and then to pop him a couple. After one really nice shot to his mouth he proceeds to say "If you hurt me I'll sue you!!!" Really now, I guess it's my fault that you tried hitting me and put yourself into this situation. At about this time I put him into a hammerlock from the guard and the fight was over with him crying "Uncle!!!".

A couple of months later he picked a fight with my brother (I'm 210, my brother is about 160 soaking wet) and my brother beat the tar out of the kid finishing the fight with one of the nicest chokes I've seen in my martial arts career.
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: -2 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 12:37 PM UTC
hi all good question..
what happens when a infantry corporal opens his mouth to a bunch of drunk engineers? several broken noses, a concussion or two, (one being mine) and alot of bollocking by ncos and officers...had a hell of a headache!

also on a small excercise my pltn got into some lovely hand to hand when we were attacked by another pltn, and the fighting got a little. well, heated. Fortunately for me i fell down a ditch and missed most of it while one unlucky lad had his wrist broken, and several were left with nice imprints of rifle butts on their faces. needless to say the O/C was not a happy chappie.

Oh well, all for a quiet life...

alpha
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:39 AM UTC
Being a former Marine, the Navy was always good for a few laughs. But my most favorite and fun was when I came back home from my last duty post as a gate guard at the Memphis Naval Airstation Marine Barracks. My older brother, US Army, 3rd Armored, Generals driver and E-6 decided that he would just have to show his little brother the E-5 what was up. It lasted about 3 minutes with my Dad using the shotgun to break it up. Big brother had had enough tho' something about his ribs and my size 13 brogans have always haunted any conversations that seem to come up about it. Also the days he spent back on post with his shiner and split lip lead to some anxious moments when he returned to be the driver for the general. He has admitted to having told the general that he had been jumped by 4 big Marines on his way back to Texas, just so he could keep his position even though he had to be assigned other duties until his injuries had become less obvious.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Can't say that I've been in any fights during my service. Usually, I'm the one they see after the fight. Almost all fight related injuries are due to "talking when you should be listening" syndrome.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
During GW1 (I was a reservist) I had the dubious honour of doing MP duty in Aldershot. Fridays and saturdays were like dodge city. I had 8 guys and 3 landrovers. The punch-ups and closing time used to be between regiments.... We used to hide round a corner and arrest the corpses...... Sometimes we were even given pick-axe handles. Trouble was that if you stopped a fight, everyone would then start on you...... Happy days.... Jim #:-)