History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
What Are You Reading?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 08:54 AM UTC
Curious as to what people are reading as winter and Christmas approach. I am into a great book entitled "The Devil's Disciples." It is the in-depth (I am talking well over 500 pages) analysis of the people who supported Hitler- - Goering, Goebels, Himmlar, etc. Amazing story. Let's hear what folks are reading and what they think about the book then we can push onto what books you want for Christmas.
DJ
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
DJ...When I can find the time to read a few pages, I am checking out a book that was passed to me by a salty dog buddy of mine, Tom Clancey's "Carriers". So far, been a good read, documenting the history of the Aircraft Carrier in the U.S. Alot of very good technical information about the ships themselves. I've also started perusing " Hitlers Second Book", the American translation of course, the follow up to "Mein Kampf "...As far as my Christmas list goes, I'm as bad as my 11 year old son!!...not enough room on this page to list, sir!!

Gunny (:-)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
DJ
Would I be allowed to post historical what-if titles? I just read an excellent one I have read quite a few and would love to post the titles
I wasn't sure if I could post them here in the History section Also one of the titles has a swear word in it I know swearing isn't allowed,so I can edit that title
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 09:18 AM UTC
i just started,

Forgotten armies-the fall of british asia 1914-45 by christopher bayly

only read a couple of chapters, seems good so far

regards

joe
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 09:27 AM UTC
Right now I'm researching an final paper for my college English course of the bombing of Pearl Harbor so I'm hip deep in At Dawn We Slept, by Gordon Prange, Pearl Harbor: Verdict of History also by Prange and his associates, Infamy, by John Toland, and Day of Deceit: FDR and Pearl Harbor by Robert Stinnett. That last book I have to read while holding my nose, I truly hate revisionist authors. I also have several other books on Pearl Harbor that I refer to, but these are the main ones.

TheRedBaron
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
Just got 'B company Arrived' by David Van Buggenum. Its the story of B company of the 2nd Para Battalion at Arnhem. Stunning book with some never before published piccies.

I now have 48 Arnhem books...

So maybe I will go for something different at Xmas...
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC

Now why didn't I think of this Forum topic?........bloody good one DJ!

Since I am a voracious reader, I will list just the title's I'm reading right now (no lie, myself and my children usually leave the library with armfuls of books ).

I just recently completed "Beyond Valor' by Patrick K. O'Donnell. A n excellent book that recounts the efforts of WWII's Ranger's and Airbourne. (previous to that I read 'Ghost Soldiers' by Hampton Sides. A retelling of the heroic, and almost instantaneously launched rescue of American/Alled personnel from the Japanese controlled POW camp of Cabanatuan).
I am presently reading three books, not including two old paperbacks about the 'Nam.
The first is 'Patton's Ghost Corp' by Nathan Prefer. A fairly nice novel about the the corp (one of three) that Patton left behind (when he sent the other two to the Ardenne's) to defend what had been the entire Third Army front.
I also just wrapped up 'Into the Reich' by James R Arnold assisted by our good Steven J. Zaloga about the Allied advance across Western Europe. The other book I am reading at this moment is rather lengthly entitled ''The mammoth book of Eyewitness World War I' A superbly(IMHO) assembled account of first-hand based letters, reports, etc about the First World War......truly stunning, and insightful reading to be sure.

I apologize for geing so long-winded.....but when I start talking about books....I am indeed filled with holy spirit of the written word!!

Tread.

Hey DJ!!....I think you've really hit on something here. May I suggest (since you so kindly started this thread) that you endeavour to make this 'Book' thing, a regular indulgence?
Maybe even given it's own 'Forum'?.......I would be honoured to give you any assistance I could offer??
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:00 AM UTC
"Beyond Valor: World War II's Ranger and Airborne Veterans Reveal the Heart of Combat"
by Patrick K. O'Donnell

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684873850/ref=pd_sim_books_5/103-1061340-8233424?v=glance&s=books

Very good first hand accounts from Dieppe through Germany.

Edit: Looks like Tread and I have similar tastes in books.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hey DJ, i'm reading The Great Book of Modern Warplanes. Featuring full technical descriptions and battle actions from Baghdad to Belgrade. Big book of 520 pages w/ over 1000 pictures of the best aircrafts, eg: A10, F-14, F15, F-16, F/A18, Stealth, Harrier, MiGs, Russia's Sukhois and Europes's new fighters. Some times Modern Elite Forces, the weapons, uniforms and tactics of the worlds special warfare units.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
I'm well into a very interesting book called The Old American by Ernest Herbert. It's a novel centered on Caucus-Meteor, an aging Algonkian Chief who has just captured and enslaved one Nathan Blake, a British colonial farmer on the New Hampshire border in 1746. The title refers to Caucus-Meteor since at this time, "American" refered to the First People, rather than the European settlers.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:47 AM UTC
I am reading "199 Days, The Battle for Stalingrad" by Edwin P Hoyt. Not very good if you have read anything else about the battle at all. Very basic. But if you want a quick over view I guess it is okay.
Think I am going to check into that "B Company has Arrived."
Thanks for the tip RB.

Shaun
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 12:11 PM UTC
i am reading Das Reich: the story of the 2nd SS panzer division and soon will be startind Soldat. got too many other books on my shelf, but like models, i just keep buyin more
TheRedBaron
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 01:21 PM UTC
Shaun,

Its well worth it. Lots of unseen pics and tons of personal tesitmony from survivors.

You may have trouble getting it, it was a rather limited print run. If you do let me know and I can pass you the details of the guy who I got my copy off. He picked up a couple of copies in Arnhem at the 60th Celebrations. He even sent it to me in a plastic bag from the Arnhem museum...

Verboten
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
entire network: 202 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
I have recently finished reading "Flyboys" by James Bradley, and am currently reading "The Peloponnesian War" by Donald Kagan. I would highly recommend both to anyone interested in military history.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

have recently finished reading "Flyboys" by James Bradley, and am currently reading "The Peloponnesian War" by Donald Kagan. I would highly recommend both to anyone interested in military history.

i LOVE Donald Keegan's work, my dad read The Peloponnesian War by him and said it was amazing, i plan on reading it....after the 23434 other books i've got on the shelf :-)
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:37 PM UTC
Tug of War by Denis Whittaker about the Battle of the Scheldt with emphasis on the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 03:00 PM UTC
I am reading "Berlin Dance of Death" great book of a german soldier who faught in the battle of holding berlin. Amazing story.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 03:47 PM UTC
I'm reading "When Thunder Rolled: An F-105 Pilot over North Vietnam" by Ed Rasimus. It's a first-hand account by a pilot who flew missions out of Korat RTAFB, his experiences, his thoughts, and fears. It's a very compelling work. Once I'm done with that, I have "The Big Drop: The Guns of Merville, June 1944" by John Golley. It's an older work, but it's hard to read enough about airborne forces in WW2, no matter which nation they served.
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 10:18 PM UTC
This is what i'm reading at the moment.

Just started 'Dieppe revisted: A documentary investigation' by John P. Campbell.

Also readin Azar Gat's book 'British Armour Theory and the rise of the Panzer Arm: Revising the Revisionists' an interesting look at the role of Liddell hart and his influence on the german panzer generals.

Also just started John Lundstrom's 'The First Team' A book on pacific naval air combat in the first few years of the war.

As for Xmas i've got Max Hastings latest 'Armageddon' on order.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 12:24 AM UTC
Some terriffic books listed here. I am sold on Flyboys (get it, fast wonderful reading) and Beyond Valor-- a marvelous book. As to posting the "What If" book titles, go righ ahead and put them here. If there is a juicy title name, use your discretion and send a PM to anyone interested in knowing the book title. I am statrting to accumulate a list for the next topic of what do you want to read for Christmas list. Keep the book lists flowing
DJ
PS-- I am really interested in the Kagan book on the Pelopennisian (spelling?) Wars....great tip
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tug of War by Denis Whittaker about the Battle of the Scheldt with emphasis on the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry.

Paul-- can I get some details on this one....
thanks
DJ
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC
Ola Guys

Funny thread

I just finished Road to Arnhem by Donald Burgett. Great book. The view of a normal Paratrooper with his company on his journey through Europe. Written in a great way not glorifying the war but still with some pretty funny anecdote (the two sleeping para`s and the Death goat for instance :-) :-) :-) I still can`t stop laughin when I think about that) Absolutely Brilliant book.

Now I`m reading Stephen Ambrose`s D-Day 6 June 1944 Quite a good book despite all the really bad spelling and grammatical errors the Translators made when they made the dutch copy. Well A lot of facts piled together also with some Anecdotes and Eyewithness reports.

After that I am going to read a Book that I got for my birthday. It`s an old book with the title "Den Vaderland Getrouwe". That is the motto of the Dutch (more or less) It means something like: "Loyal to the Fatherland" and is about the Dutch Resistance during WW2 (the bravest Resistance during those years at leats me thinks being a Dutchman :-) :-) :-) )

Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
Just finished "Inside the Asylum" about the U.N. and "In the Company of Soldiers: A chronicle of Combat" about 101st Airborne in OIF by Rick Atkinson. On the shelf ready to read is "Rumsfeld's War". I also read the Bible regularly.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
I assume all have read Ric Atkinson's "An Army At Dawn"? There is a great book.
DJ
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
Yeah, DJ, I read it. Seven hundred pages of gold. I think the next part of the trilogy is due out mid 2005 IIRC.
Can't wait.
Link to the trilogy website below.

Shaun

http://www.anarmyatdawn.com/index.htm