History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
What Are You Reading?
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 04:33 AM UTC
My reading list includes the following:

The letters of Agar Adamson, from CEF Books. The letters written by a WW1 officer detailing life on the Western Front. Excellent book.

Where the Hell are the guns?
The Guns of Normandy
The Guns of Victory
all by George Blackburn, detailing life as an artillery officer in NW Europe after D-Day.

First in the Field by Jeffery Williams, the story of Hammie Gault, founder of the PPCLI

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My reading list includes the following:

The letters of Agar Adamson, from CEF Books. The letters written by a WW1 officer detailing life on the Western Front. Excellent book.

Where the Hell are the guns?
The Guns of Normandy
The Guns of Victory
all by George Blackburn, detailing life as an artillery officer in NW Europe after D-Day.

First in the Field by Jeffery Williams, the story of Hammie Gault, founder of the PPCLI

Dave-- I am impressed. You just read these books?
DJ
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC

[/quote]

Dave-- I am impressed. You just read these books?
DJ[/quote]

DJ

Finished the Agar Adamson one, and the Jeffrey Williams one, halfway through the first Blackburn one, but will have to put it on hold for a while as I'm moving this weekend.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 05:39 AM UTC
At the moment i am reading a history book called Borderlands,its a history if the Ukraine,and the way it explains the tangle of pro Russian,and pro German armies is just brilliant,the facts about the different factions is so convoluted i have to keep going back to to make sure i read it right.
Arthur
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 06:06 AM UTC
My current read is Will Fey's "Armor Battle of the SS 1943-45". Just gripping, the accounts of Panzer warfare from the cupolas, gunner and driver seats.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My current read is Will Fey's "Armor Battle of the SS 1943-45". Just gripping, the accounts of Panzer warfare from the cupolas, gunner and driver seats.

Bob-- as always, good to hear from you. Can you provide some details on the book--publisher and how did you get it (amazon.com or a book club)?
thanks
DJ
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 05:53 PM UTC
I am Reading Ospreys

D-Day 1944 (4)
Gold & Juno Beaches
(Campaign 112)

Author: Ken Ford
Illustrator: Kevin Lyles

Most of you have seen or read Osprey books in one form or another. This is mostly a genral, factual account of the players events etc. surrounding Gold and Juno beaches...

It is in the pile of model mags and comic books that I have at bedside.

Cheers, Michael
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:17 AM UTC
At home- "Winning Modern War" by Gen. Wesley K. Clark, Fmr. Supreme NATO Commander, Europe.

At Work- "Long Way Back to the River Kwai" by Loet Velmans, a Dutchman who escaped The Nazi occupation of his homeland only to be captured by the Japanese (In Indoneseia) and forced into slave labor on the Burma railroad.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 09:04 AM UTC
A D##ned Fine War by Bill Yenne Berkley is the publisher What happens is the Red Army decides to invade Western Europe after VE Day A very interesting what-if book Some of it seems a bit outlandish,but it is one of my favorite reads I got it at a truckstop

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At Work- "Long Way Back to the River Kwai" by Loet Velmans, a Dutchman who escaped The Nazi occupation of his homeland only to be captured by the Japanese (In Indoneseia) and forced into slave labor on the Burma railroad.

There is man who definitely had bad luck! He survived? Must be quite a story
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bob-- as always, good to hear from you. Can you provide some details on the book--publisher and how did you get it (amazon.com or a book club)?
thanks
DJ

COL DJ,

I trust all is well with you...a bit behind in my work here.

The book is published by Stackpole Books, and was published in August of 2003. I purchased mine this spring at Atlantic Booksellers at the Mall of America in Minneapolis for 13 dollars. I do know that it is in print and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Nobel online.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811729052/qid=1100527829/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4832484-6987824?v=glance&s=books http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0Y3NhVPAkc&isbn=0811729052&itm=4

The original version was published in German, I believe around 1993. The author, Willi Fey, was an SS veteran Tiger commander and later achieved high rank in the Bundeswehr. He includes numerous accounts (including Wittman at Villers-Bocage) of panzer actions from other SS panzer soldiers. Really a gripping account, a must-read for armchair tankers.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is man who definitely had bad luck! He survived? Must be quite a story

Yes, DJ, he did indeed survive, though many of his mates did not. Ironically, in his employment after the war he was made 'Far East Liason' because of his "experience" in the area...
Yet he never told his Japanese business contacts about the unpeakable horrors visited upon him & his fellow prisoners during their internment.
Stronger Man than I...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC
Bob-- if you enjoyed that book perhaps you would be interested in a fellow named Dawes' book "Prisoners of the Jpanese." It is fantastic. I could not put it down. Full of anecdotes and stories which will definitely keep your interest.
DJ
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 10:49 PM UTC
I'm currently re-reading Ian Ousby's last book 'The Road to Verdun' (and also a biography of Tolouse-Lautrec, but that's OT).

Recently I've read Robin Nielland's new book on the BEF and a book on Henry (Tarka the Otter) Williamson's service in the Great War as a transport officer. Useful reminder than war can be banal and terrifying at the same time. Check his 'The Patriot's Progress' for a very emotive view of the war.

On the shelf awaiting reading is a book on Amiens 1918 (can't remember the author).

Armor battles of the Waffen-SS has been out in translation before, I've got a hard-back version published by JJF sometime in the 90s.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm currently re-reading Ian Ousby's last book 'The Road to Verdun'

I have read Ousby's book and highly recommend it. I found it to be a thought provoking work that required me to read it more like a textbook than a fun read. It was worth the investment of time.
DJ
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 01:36 PM UTC
At this time I am reading The Glorious Cause by Jeff Shaara. It is the follow up to Rise To Rebellion a story of the American revolution. If You have never read a book by Jeff or his father Michael you are in for a treat. The movies Gettysburg and Gods And Generals are based on their books.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 02:43 PM UTC
DJ, Iam reading two books at the moment.

1)The sharp end of war by John Ellis, It is about the experiences and conditions in which the allied fighting man of WWII had to survive. I personally love this book and have read it twice before. It is actually very sobering to read the accounts of these brave men.

2) The bloody forest by Gerald Astor, This book is another one of my favourites.It is about the green death machine that was the Hurtgen forest. This battle is said to be one of the most pointless in all of WWII. There was something like 80,000 US casulties over a three month period (thats probaly wrong lol I keep forgetting) This book includes ecerpts from mens memories from both sides.
This book really got me interested in the Hurtgen forest battle.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 03:51 PM UTC
DJ,
How about "A History Of Mathematics" by Carl B. Boyer (with a foreward by Isaac Asimov of "I, Robot" fame).
It is a real page turner!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 05:46 PM UTC
Embarassed to admit I'm currently reading:

• Harry Potter: The Order of the Pheonix
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus (so that I can try to understand what the heck the mrs is talking about at least half the time! :-) )

December's reading list is not all for pleasure unfortunately. Have got a ton of Microsoft books to get through. On the history sdie I'm hoping to get through a growing pile of Osprey books. I'm also hoping to finally get to the last 2 chapters of Shep Paine's Dioramas.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,
How about "A History Of Mathematics" by Carl B. Boyer (with a foreward by Isaac Asimov of "I, Robot" fame).

Yeah, that one. It is a really conversation piece. Nothing the Little Woman and I like better than discussing "A History of Mathematics" over coffee in the morning. Good choice.
DJ
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ,

Yeah, that one. It is a really conversation piece. Nothing the Little Woman and I like better than discussing "A History of Mathematics" over coffee in the morning. Good choice.
DJ

You and the Little Woman talk over coffee in the morning? You and the Little Woman talk over coffee? You and the Little Woman talk? Must be newlyweds!

Actually the book is full of useless trivia that does make for good conversation. The whole thing about our decimal numbering system being based on our ten fingers and how unfortunate for us humans that we did not develop 12 digits since a base 12 or base 6 system would be so much more convenient....but I digress. Again.

Later!
Maddawg
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 11:48 AM UTC
Right now I am reading the History Of the Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland :Vol 2 by Helmuth Spaeter
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 12:34 PM UTC
I'm currently reading Rendezvous - South Atlantic by Douglas Reeman. After that I'm lined up for Kommando (German Special Forces of World War Two) by James Lucas

Cougar
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

how unfortunate for us humans that we did not develop 12 digits since a base 12 or base 6 system would be so much more convenient.

But if you count each joint on the finger and use the thumb as a pointer you can count up to 12 on the fingers of one hand!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 12:36 AM UTC
I just finished General Ike by John Eisenhower. Marvelous book. Full of anecdotes that greatly enhance your appreeciation of Eisenhower as a Soldier. Just started Eagle and the Rising Sun by Schom. So far, very interesting.
DJ