_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling with your kids
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 01:51 AM UTC
I had a very neat experience last night. My 11 year old son asked me to come downstairs for something important. He walked over to my workbench and asked me if he could have a model to work on. He had built a couple of snap-together cars but this was his first interest in what my hobby. What a great feeling. We picked a Panzerwerfer 42 ( I think he likes the rocket launcher ) and commenced bonding/building. I could see my wife mentally doubling the model budget. You haven't modeled until you've done it with a youngster by your side who fires off questions like a chain gun ! Just thought I'd share this and see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Cob
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
" Modeling with your kids "
Heh. If I was going to start a thread like this it would've been called "Modeling with your Dad". That's right! After about 20 years or so, my Dad has made the steps back into the hobby!!! :-) He's been accumulating kits of real space vehicles almost since he could get his hands on them. Now is the time to start working on them. For the first 'get back into it' model, he chose Shanghi Dragon's 1/144 Stealth Fighter. Start small, I guess. He'll probably stay in 1/144 scale for all of his rockets and missles. I'm just glad he's picking up the brush again.
By the way, does anyone know of a kit of the B-2 Spirit Bomber in !/144th? Thanks!

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

" Modeling with your kids "
Heh. If I was going to start a thread like this it would've been called "Modeling with your Dad". That's right! After about 20 years or so, my Dad has made the steps back into the hobby!!! :-) He's been accumulating kits of real space vehicles almost since he could get his hands on them. Now is the time to start working on them. For the first 'get back into it' model, he chose Shanghi Dragon's 1/144 Stealth Fighter. Start small, I guess. He'll probably stay in 1/144 scale for all of his rockets and missles. I'm just glad he's picking up the brush again.
By the way, does anyone know of a kit of the B-2 Spirit Bomber in !/144th? Thanks!

YodaMan

999! Could this be the Dawn of a new Jedi Master here at ArmoramA.com?!?

Gunnie
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC
I've modeled with all 5 of my kids, the oldest never cared for it (he is never satisfied with anything, let alone the finished product of a model kit), my oldest daughter and I built a model horse together, she wanted the horse kit, but wasn't interested in getting dirty by actually building it. She did like to paint it though. My middle child (son) has frustration problems and a tendancy to be rather rough when something doen't fit like a glove. He will break about half of the pieces of his kit. He also has a problem following directions and can not interpolate necessary actions not specifically spelled out in the illustrations.

My first born child (wife's 4th) loves to build models and she has made a number of Revell-Monogram car kits like that red HMMWV that we painted pink, a new Beetle, PT Cruiser (the inspiration for my PT Cruiser Army Staff Car), most of those $3.33 clearance snap kits from Toys R Us, some Jurassic Park kits, the Aurora dinosaurs and she made most of the Zhengdufu 1/48 scale tanks that I bought sight unseen. Some with spectacular red/white/blue motifs.

My youngest son loves to help me build. I built him a Polar Lights Scooby Doo Mystery Machine that we've had to fix since he plays with it a it. We also build a R-M Cartoon Network NASCAR, McDonald's NASCAR, many of the snap airplanes like the F117, Tomcat and a couple of others. He wants to build the Jetsons car by himself "tomorrow, when he's older". He loves the Tamiya M4A3E8 motorized Sherman tank kit I built for him ($5 from a swap meet). I plan on building the old Tamiya M-36 Jackson with a motor for him and I need to finish up a motorized KV-1B I built for him.

See DJ, there is a reason to motorize some kits, not $40 ones though. Although I will do a Tamiya M1A1 in full R/C for myself just for kicks.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, Revell of Germany does a nice one and is cheap. Check Squadron or Model Expo.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi there
Whenever i can i get into some model building with my 9 year old nephew(no kids of my own).He loves to help me build models and build some for him.So far we've built him a Centurion tank,a Hurricane and a fokker triplane(all in 1:72)before long i'll get a larger kit for him to start on(has anyone any recommendations for a simple military vehicle kit for a youngster?). I get pleasure out of working with him and he loves helping Uncle Peter,so if anyone has kids that show an interest in modelling i say go for it.
regards
Peter
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there
Whenever i can i get into some model building with my 9 year old nephew(no kids of my own).He loves to help me build models and build some for him.So far we've built him a Centurion tank,a Hurricane and a fokker triplane(all in 1:72)before long i'll get a larger kit for him to start on(has anyone any recommendations for a simple military vehicle kit for a youngster?). I get pleasure out of working with him and he loves helping Uncle Peter,so if anyone has kids that show an interest in modelling i say go for it.
regards
Peter

Try Tamiya's M41 bulldog
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
My boy is 4 1/2 years old. He wants to model when he's just as big as daddy is. Until that time he wants to help me with looking at the kits and showing his appreciation to me.

I really like the imagination of children..... a model of machine gun that is about 1" is a huge canon in their eyes....just love this....and the sounds he adds to those tiny weapons....... excellent..
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(has anyone any recommendations for a simple military vehicle kit for a youngster?

Peter,
Try any of the Tamiya T34 kits.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
I've got two boys (9 and 12). They love WarHammer kits, and Gundhams. But I know exactally what you mean! Modeling takes on an entirely different wonderful meaning when you add your kids in. :-) :-)
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had a very neat experience last night. My 11 year old son asked me to come downstairs for something important. He walked over to my workbench and asked me if he could have a model to work on. He had built a couple of snap-together cars but this was his first interest in what my hobby. What a great feeling. We picked a Panzerwerfer 42 ( I think he likes the rocket launcher ) and commenced bonding/building. I could see my wife mentally doubling the model budget. You haven't modeled until you've done it with a youngster by your side who fires off questions like a chain gun ! Just thought I'd share this and see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Cob

Absolutely:
Just recently, My wifes son picked up an interest in the Hobby. But as yet has only built one solid model and half finished a TFT Model. REASON ?? He just turned 15, and has gained an interest in the Female Persuasion, Though he is still a boy at heart, and for the most part attitude. He is slowly gaining on the idea of haviong a Girl Friend. Which every one knows what that means... Less attention to detail and other things that really matter. BUT for Teen-Age Boys, Nothing else really matters. ANYWAY to get back to the question at hand. The time that he has spent with me in the Hobby Room has been Great, And I am hopeful that he WIll find the time to get back to the current projects he has waiting for him.
Meanwhile I plug along with what I have in front of me.

DAGGER-1
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 06:43 AM UTC
My kids are only 3 and 1 but I look forward to this. My wife and I are always doing some type of crafting and can't wait until we can do it with our kids. I do often paint with my daughter. Whenever I get my paints out she wants to do it with me so I got her some watercolor paints and she paints along with me. I thing I may even give her a 1/72 scale model to paint that I use to test things on.

She is actually on my lap now and wants me to use all the faces for her so sorry about the mess I am about to make

#:-) :-)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC
Dagger, I beg to differ w/ the generalization. I figured that a hobby (on limited income as a Teen) Was cheaper than Females. (Sorry Gals ) I plan on trying to get my kid (due in Jan/Feb) into the hobby Male or Female.

Matt :-)
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 10:45 AM UTC
My Dad built with my brother and I. I built with my sons and plan to build with my grandson and granddaughters. There is nothing better than sharing with others something that you love. :-)
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 11:19 AM UTC
I built models with my kids when they were younger -- mostly Snap-Tite stuff -- a couple Corvettes, a monster truck, a few wingie-thingies -- but now, alas, they are teens ... and girls, to boot.

I still get the "call to action" when they have a school project due. I've helped provide the parts 'n' pieces, research, reference, tools, glue, paint, and technical know-how for a prairie schooner and a medieval castle just last school year. They both earned "A" grades and have their works proudly displayed in the living room with "Daddy's crap."

Still, it's amazing how much about WWII these two young ladies know. One time, a young man came by and looked into my display cases. He started ranting about "Tiger tanks" when my oldest (17 and who could normally care less about "Daddy's crap") informed him that there were no "Tigers" in the case -- just a Panther G, a T-34, a SU-76, a bunch of Shermans, etc. -- I hadn't seen her roll her eyes like that since the last time I talked to her. He hasn't been invited back (but he might have turned into a helluva modeler -- get that kid back here!).

My 15-year-old loves the Horizon 1/9th Indiana Jones I built when she was a toddler. She's so attached, it wouldn't surprise me if she takes it to college with her. She must have helped with something on it, I suppose.
otto
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
entire network: 72 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 12:11 PM UTC
My daughter (7) won an old delta dagger plane kit and asked me to build it with her. I was OVERJOYED at the interest she expressed. WE made the model and WE painted it together and it hangs by a string from her bedroom. Since then My 5 year old daughter has won a few kits as well as my oldest. They BOTH have an interest in models and something else that they can do with DADDY!!!!!!!! Man I LOVE this hobby!!!! It beats wasting away in front of the TV anyday!!! Just my thoughts Otto :-)
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
My 5 yr old son got a visible trout model as a gift a while ago. He did all the painting but lost interest half way through the assembly process. He says he would rather do cars or tanks or airplanes. About a month ago my 2 yr old son woke up after everyone else except me was sleeping. He came out to the kitchen where I was working and demanded "I make tank!!" Instead I got out the craft box and and gave him his watercolors and an old plane for him. We stayed up untill about 0300 just hanging together. It was great and now frequently all 3 of us guys spend good quality time at the kitchen table together, (although mom says if we don't go to bed at a decent time I will be exilled to the couch.

Mark
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2002 - 11:48 PM UTC
Heh, Its almost the opposite for me. My dad initially introduced me into the hobby a few years ago, but since then do to time issues he has been unable to work on his models. In his absence, I have since become a fairly experienced modeller, although I still have a lot to learn (and plenty of time; I'm only 15). For his birthday I built him a Porsche 911 GT1 (He loves racing and cars; a true car nut.) and we've worked together on putting the last little details together. I'm showing him how to use my airbrush, so he can finally finish his large scale 65' Corvette Stingray. Its been quite a bonding experience so far, and that Le Mans Porsche has become a symbolic model in my life.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC
I introduce my son at 4 to snap tites. My dad did not have such an easy time of it, so he let me cut my teeth on a 1/700 scale destroyer (at 4 years old...)
Just last week, I took a big step and let my son, who is now 8, use my Paasche so he could paint his 1/48 Me-163 Komet. I helped him with the masking, and started by guiding his hand with the brush, but he picked up the flow quickly and, since he has artistic tendencies, seems to be a natural. He may be getting his own brush for Christmas...The memory of him gaining cofidence with that brush is pretty powerful.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 06:28 PM UTC
Little Jack/little Jackette...My kids. I sometimes wondered what could top the great feeling of receiving a best of show award. I found out when both children received awards for their work at Trucks n' Tracks. Your heart nearly pops out of your chest, so much that it swells with pride and pleasure........But it is the look of total and utter satisfaction reflected in their eyes that brings tears to my eyes. The only downer is, because i have always offered the Junior best of show, neither of the kids is ever eligible, fairs fair and they understand.

Jack
 _GOTOTOP