Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
I Hate Time Zones...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 11:23 PM UTC
An interesting thing happened this morning - I now have twin monitors on my 'puter....

The reason? - Time zones..

As a someone who has an unhealthy obsession with politics, I was up until 6.30 a.m. local time watching the U.S. Election Results.

Personal results? I have a headache which feels as if it was the result of a day spent with a heavy artillery battery. My vision is somewhat blurred, and the twin monitors have now been joined by twin keyboards...

So, in a nutshell, can someone from the Federal Electoral Commission please hold the elections at around 4a.m. Central European Time?

Democracy is a great thing, time zones are something else....Jim
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
geez, thats a bummer but maybe you could move to the USA for the first week of november for election week. its not too cold here in virginia...
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 08:47 AM UTC
I guess depending who you wanted to win, this could be a good headache or bad headache.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 10:34 AM UTC
The same thing happened to me with the olimpics, My schedule got alll mest up.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 08:01 PM UTC
I'm curious, is the United States the only country that plays with the time. Last Saturday we went on Daylight Savings Time whcih meant we turned back the clock one hour. In the spring we'll turn it forward again.As this was established 200 years ago, when we were primarily an agrarian (farmers) society and electricity didn't exist it no longer makes sense. So Canada and Europe do you do this foolish game with the clocks?
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
Steve

In Australia I believe that Daylight saving time was introduced during the war. It was done as a power saving exercise.

More recently we have a bit of a silly situation where Queensland (1 of the 4 Eastern states) does not have daylight saving time - the farmers think the cows won't milk at the right time and the curtains will fade quicker with the extra hour of daylight) :-)

Central Australian Time (1/2 hour behind us) also moves ahead 1 hour so they are 1/2 and hour ahead of us and Westerna Australia - normally an hour behind us catches up to us.

Not too bad if you are only dealing within Queensland for work but a bit confusing when you need to ring someone interstate.

And yes this all started again a couple of weeks ago and will last until mid-March 2005.

Brian
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 10:34 AM UTC
Our state of Indian has also refused to play the game, so half the year they are in the central time zone the other in the eastern.. So Austrailia does this.....anybody else.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So Austrailia does this.....anybody else

Yes, here in the UK we've just switched from BST (British Summer Time) back to GMT (Grenwich Mean Time). At least here we have no diferent time zones to confuse things. However, there was a slight hiccup in some places. Due to an EEC directive the switch was due on the fourth Sunday of October, only this year there were FIVE Sundays so some municipal clocks changed a week early due to the software used to control them.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 08:25 PM UTC
Okay, so far I've got the US, Canada, Great Britain, and Austrailia. Are the English speaking countries the only ones that play this game or do they do it in France, China, Poland, Russia Greece. Come on ya'll lets hear if this is a world-wide thing or just a few nutty countries.