_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Feeling a bit Burnt
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi guys

I have not felt like sitting at my modelling desk in the past week or so. I'm not real sure what it is, but I'm just feeling a little burnt out. I've got two projects on the table. Both are about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way done. I think I'm going to just step away for a bit. Nothing long term [ I hope ] just a break to recharge my batterys. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Thanks
Harry
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 02:21 PM UTC
recharge away! i know how you mean, modeling does wear you out sometimes....but that doesnt mean you can slack off longer soldier!
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 02:53 PM UTC
The same thing is happening to me right now, I have 7 projects going and I don't feel like doing them anymore, I feel like starting a new kit, and then when I start it I no longer feel like doing it, so I have 8 projects going.

To solve this I build something different, something fast and interesting at the same time, just go to the hobby shop and look for a kit that catches your attention and is easy to build.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 03:28 PM UTC
why would you want to do 7 projects at the same time? makes no sense. Doing that makes modeling no fun.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 03:34 PM UTC
I find myself always bouncing around..pace is the key. It will still be there when the mood hits you. Take a breath of fresh air and come back soon..Good Luck!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 03:38 PM UTC
I find myself always bouncing around..pace is the key. It will still be there when the mood hits you. Take a breath of fresh air and come back soon..Good Luck!

Edit..sorry for the double post...ooopppsss
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC
I haven't built a model since July but I have been thoroughly keeping pace with the new releases and posts here at the Big A. However with the winter season approaching I can feel the itch to tackle the Dragon re-release M4A1 I have in my stash. I am also commited to the Ardenne Offensive Campaign and the Quiet Professional.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 04:37 PM UTC
I know that feeling all to well. ( 2-3 times a year ) I find myself not knowing what to do anymore, and thats when things get messy. So i pack up what ever project i'm working on and start a new one. This seems to help, ill go through the magazines i had collected through the years and also go though all my kits, what i mean is i'll open the boxes up look through them, looking at the instructions and decals.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

why would you want to do 7 projects at the same time? makes no sense. Doing that makes modeling no fun.

No, I do not want to, but I can't avoid it, I loose interest and start something new. which just repeats itself until I put a stop to it.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 11:37 PM UTC
Happens to me too..... think it's just another part of the hobby, and phases we pass through. Chasing women and constant rejection usually gets me building again........
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I completely disagree.

I modeled for several years in a small apartment with a buisness below and had (at the time) an infant.

I was not able to complete many of my projects at the time for lack of space, time, or the ability to paint at home. Most of my kits were built up to the point that the next parts glued would mean that the kit would not fit in the box any longer.
Now that we are in a house and I have a model room, I have at least 2 dozen kits in partially completed states.

The advantage to this , to me, is that I can pick up any of them based on the stage or area of building I find myself interested in that afternoon.

If I want to paint, I can drag out kits X or Y, detail paint Kits Z-AA, decals, weathering etc,etc.

Back to the orig poster.
either take some time off, or go get a slammer outside your normal area of interest and slap it together.

That's what get's my mojo back.
Mike
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hi all

Thanks for all the replys. At least I know I'm not alone. I got like this awhile ago and a little time off, and a quick toss together kit and I was back at it. I think I'll follow the advise of my modelling brothers and hit a local shop tonight, and pick up something quick, and simple.
Thanks guys
Harry
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
we all go thorugh phases.. i almost stoped buidling for several months due to RL problems.. oh an that silly game i had to wean myself off useing drug theropy.. Star Wars Galixies it was.. but i'm ok now......

.................um wheres my pills... I need my medication now............

cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 03:29 AM UTC
I go thru that same phase too, I think everybody else does. Sometimes I just lose the drive to build. I also have unfinished models but I don't intend to leave them alone. I'm just waiting for some sort of idea to hit me. So I don't think that you need to worry about this.
Shinano
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC
I can relate Just had the same problem, was stuck. The two kits I was working on, one went to hang on the ceiling partially finished, the other only had a fusalage and it fit back in the box. Then I started the Revell 1/96 Constitution, it scared me a bit at first but it did the trick. Right back in the saddle.
Good luck!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 06:27 AM UTC
This is very common. I am actually there myself but I think I can see the light at the end of this tunnel. Don't fight it. The modeling urge will come back and then you will find yourself on fire again.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC
I'm getting back into things after hitting the proverbial wall. It has taken me about 4 years to get back into the swing of things after I litterally colapsed. I was all work and no fun makes a dull Johnny (I like that line from The Shining...) Everything has to have a balance, even this our hobby!!
 _GOTOTOP