_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Your Workbench
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:27 PM UTC
i have very little things on my workcbench because i have just started but i was wondering what other peoples worckbench looked like

nick
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:53 PM UTC
Some of us are lucky enough to have workbenches. Being an apartment dweller, I have to make do with a corner of the computer desk:

Paul
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 03:06 PM UTC
I'm in apartment too, and a bachelor suite at that!
I have a table in one corner with my computer desk right beside it (makes it easy for quick reference), a small cabinet for keeping my paints in and a bookcase for more storage of needed tools, books and the like. Above on the wall, I have a small cork board that holds any pics that I'm using.
All and all, it's a rather compact but fairly efficient small area that takes up about 40 sq. feet.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 11:29 PM UTC
I'm a bachelor, in an apartment also.
I do most of my building at work, at the desk, tools kept in a large fishing tackle box, in my locker, paints in a tool box in my locker, airbrush and regulator in my locker, two desk lights, kept in my locker, so each night I set everything up that I'm going to need, only takes about ten munites, build for most of the night, and then pack it all away before I get relieved by the next watch.
At home is where I actually do the finishing of most of my models. Got a more permanent set up. Corner computer desk in the corner of the bedroom, air compressor on bottom shelf, 2 airbrushes hooked up. to the right are drawed cabinets with STUFF. I got one of those little rolling carts with draws for paints, and shelves and storage bins to the left. My spray booth is a large plastic tub, on top of another rolling art cart, with a window fan for exhust.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
Keep the faith guys, it can get better.
I did the apartment thing, TV tray , folding table in the corner of the bedroon, even keeping my airbrush at the school where I teach and painting on the weekends.

But having a house isn't all that much better.. the 'honey do' list never seems to get any shorter...
And even though I have a 'hobby room' it's away from the rest of the family and people keep stopping in to visit.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family more than I love modeling, but it seems that in the middle of the most fiddly assembly someone has something to show me or 'needs' me for something.

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
I too live in an apartment but also married.. my wife doesn't mind my hobby but hates seeing the mess..

After 2 years of making do with a card table and putting everything away when i was done with the session.. (really cuts into your time to setup and tear down)

I finally hit on a solution.. I had my wife find a new home for her 6 large plastic tubs of Decorations for every season... and took over the closet that is in my apartments living room/dining room area.. and in one weekend built me a custom workbench out of an old shelf I had. The closet is 3 feet by 4 feet giving me 12 square feet thats all mine.. also have about 7 feet of height for a total of 84 cubic feet. (if igot themath right). and all this room is all mine. every other part of the place is covered in my wife's "knick nacks"

In the back is my shop roll around tool box.. the top is full of paint bottles.. upper drawers full of my tools and the lower ones kept empty too keep works in progress. and some custom shelving and cheap plastic drawer organizers to finish the storage area.

and the best thing.. i dont' have to clean the mess i just shut the door and its out of sight... now my prob is.. my wife tells me "I know its in the Closet but I know the Mess is there.. can't you put everything away..

sometimes even with a good idea there are snags..
puppy
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 12:59 AM UTC
Here is a snap of my workbench.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Ola People

Still living at home I managed after years of fighting to "Liberate" the complete Attic for my own use (although I allowed the rest of the fam to store some of their stuff in places I don`t need YET). I have my room there and also my modelling corner. It consists of quite a nice Office desk with a drawertrolley under it. On the other side just behind me when I`m sitting there is a little table with all sorts of stuff there like Kits, Evergreen and more of that stuff. (Corner of that table is just visible in the pic) Also visible in that pic is the little cabinet on the left in wich I store all my Dio stuff. And on top of that is one of my spareboxes (from the time I really did make work of sorting out spare parts. )

View of my Drawertrolley. top drawer for tools, 2nd drawer for Paint and brushes. 3rd Drawer (not opened) for all sorts of stuff that do not fit under tools or paint.

Those pics are quite old. From my young days in Armorama. So the next pics are multiplied by three
My Homemade shelves:

The cupboard in this pic is homemade and open for about 75% the top 25% can be closed and all the old models and dio`s go there when they get replaced by the new stuff.

On teh attic wher I have my room it is sadly too dark to make decent pics of my Unbuilt stash and my Library but I have a fair amount of both.

Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:32 AM UTC
I used to think it would be great to have a modelling 'den' like some of you guys. I did have a room for a short while, dedicated to modelling and also a place to mark books etc. Then I realised I felt like I was 'away' from everything. Sort of shut away in a cupboard until I was needed. I now have an office with a sofa bed that my partner can sit on and watch TV or do her own thing while I model away. Works great, and she can't complain that she never sees me!

Vinnie
modelsrus
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
I must say, I have always realized it, but I am very fortunate!

My wife was kind enough to give up her sewing room for my modelling activities.

She now uses the kitchen table if making something, but her sewing hobby has slowed down a little of late.

I can't tell you what it means to me, to have a wife that fully supports and takes an real interest in my hobby. If it weren't for her, I would not have gotten my interest back in modelling. She is the one encouraging me. She purchased a gift certificate for me for $250.00 (Canadian Dollars), and told me to "get lost" for the day, and buy buy buy! So I am holding off until I hear of more of the relatively "easier", but not too overly simple model "brand names" to look for, before I spend my new found hobby money!!!!

How many guys/gals on here have the love, support and interest of their mate to encourage them in their modelling aspirations????

I can not be the only fellow on here that does!

Thank you all for your responses so far, I appreciate them all very much!
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
My wife supports my hobby..

and even though she doesn't really "get" into the subject matter. she will look at my latest attemt at something new or a completed model and tell me what she thinks of it... of course she has mentioned a time or too the colors are a bit "drab" and the finished vehicle looks a little "dirty"...

but over all she doesn't get too mad when i drag her into the hobby store and get "lost" for a bit..

so cheers and here is a drink to her from me...

P.S. and umm if my wife is reading this remember.. would you rather have me sitting at home in the closet sniffing glue and paint fumes crackling to myself like a mad little gnome.

or out somewhere in some bar or strip club you never heard of getting drunk and blowing all my pay and then somehow finding my way home only to collapse on the sofa till the next time i go out....

see fellows give em an easy choice if you know how to phrase the question right.

Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi all,

My wife made me come out of the closet. And this is what I finally got. Waited 30 Years for it, but it was worth the wait.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1969

Still can not figure out how to get them up on the site to see. But got them into the web area.

Tracy

#:-)
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 05:46 AM UTC
My workbench is a peice of newspaper on the floor of my bedroom at the moment. I am to be getting the attic as a bedroom soon and it has a very large table
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:06 AM UTC
I have a bench in the garage, but it is usually too hot or too cold to work out there. For a few years, I had a table in the corner of our master bedroom ... functional, but not much fun.

Then my oldest daughter moved out and I got her bedroom.

I still use the little bench, but I have much more room for my model cases and references, as well as wall space for some of my poster collection.

Oh-oh ... trouble in the window ...

I also stashed models in the closet and still have more in the garage that won't fit ...
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
My wife (of 35 years) and I are apartment dwellers now, weather we've been in a house or an apartment I've always had a place to work on my models. In our current place, a two bedroom apartment, one bedroom is my stuff room. Got my models and computers stuffed in it. My wife knows how much I enjoy the hobby so she "understands". The only statement she's ever made is that I "don't have enough time to finish all the models I have". Maybe she's right. I have a storage unit I rent to keep my stash in, and really try to refrain from buying more. Temptation does strike now and then, in the last year I've bought probably 10 more kits to add to my todo list.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
This room was a extra bedroom after on of the kids moved out.

Oh ya, i do like to collect also
modelsrus
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:29 AM UTC
Exactly Delbert!!! You could be gambling the money away too!

Good post!

hmmm....strip club VS modelling....hmmmmm....

nawwww....better stick to the modelling, longer lasting models than the strip club kind!

Good for your wife! She is entitled to her opinions, maybe get her to build some cars, that way she can make them red or pink and "less drab"?????

Who knows, there is always hope, right?
modelsrus
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC
WOW Hollowpoint, how organized!!! You have LOTS of nice equipment and models there! I am envious of you!

Give me some time, give me some time, I "may" get there too!

Good reference material it looks like too! Anything you want to recommend to me, that is at first, simple?

Thanks!
modelsrus
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:34 AM UTC
HOLY COW Mother!!! You sure have some terrific work space there! I will eventually set something like this up too, that way I can have a few models on the go at the same time without having to put them all away each time I need a change!!!

I am impressed!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW Hollowpoint, how organized!!! You have LOTS of nice equipment and models there! I am envious of you!

Give me some time, give me some time, I "may" get there too!

Good reference material it looks like too! Anything you want to recommend to me, that is at first, simple?

Thanks!

Organized? I still can't find anything ...

Suggestions on starting a reference collection: Squadron "In Action" books are an inexpensive way to start and they are loaded with pictures and diagrams. Osprey and Concord books are also very good and not too hard on the checkbook. Go to used book stores and thrift stores and look around -- you never know what you might find!
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
i have an old wooden root beer chest to store my paints and stuff, and i work wherever there are no family members, and i do the precision work at my computer desk. 3 floors yet no room
fitzgibbon505
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 07:42 AM UTC

and some of the stash

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 07:57 AM UTC
I have added a "My Workbench" album in the Dark Room area of the gallery. If you want to move one of the photos listed above to this new area you can. Just go to the photo detail page in the gallery and look for the Move To pulldown. Then scroll to the bottom and select Dark Room :: My Workbench.

Later I will put a dynamic link on your profile page to this photo if it's there.

Cheers,
Jim
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 984 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC
I have my work area in the basement. I am still in the process of of semi finishing it. It's cool, because i have a seperate workshop from my small book shelf/model display area.

Although in the picture it is not hooked up, my spray booth is vented through a dryer hose out the window. No more going out side.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
i had the spare bedroom until all of my stuff was booted out in favour of an actual bed .i was out-voted by the three women in the house(yeah i'm the alpha male allright!)
 _GOTOTOP