_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Have you ever used Linka molds?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 02:49 AM UTC
While perusing the Internet I have come across this site http://www.linkaworld.com/
This company offers a rather interesting solution to making miniature buildings in the HO/OO scale. I was curious whether anyone here ever used their products and what the result were.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 07:07 AM UTC
Dang, Marty, that brings back some memories. I recall using something like this back in the '80s. Not sure if it was Linka, but those molds look awful familiar. IIRC, the ones I had were blue, & the system was easy as cake and actually quite adaptable. A buddy & I found a set at a flea mkt and split the cost and molds. The 2 drawbacks I remember were no interior detail, and the windows/doors didn't go the full depth of the mold (so they needed to be cut out after curing.
Other than that, I found the detail & modularity (not a word, but you get the point I hope) to more than make up for any shortcomings. The molds are a very thick rubber, & stand up well to multiple castings, but mine eventually hardened & cracked. Some of the architectural details were unbelievable, but needed reinforcing to even get them out of the mold. The scale is closer to HO than 1:72, but not so much that I cared at the time. (we made villages, populated them w/ hasegawa vehicles, then the tar out of them with pellet guns a la "A Bridge Too Far")
Thanks for bringing these up. I may get some for my boy & I to cast together(he always wants to help me with my Resin casting but that's a no-no).

Give 'em a shot- it may be just what you need to get you past your 'Dry Spell'- & I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say the hobby is MUCH better off with you than we are without you!
Cheers!
RobH
"Minister (at Large) of unnecessarily long-winded explanations"
(unappointed)"Lord Verbose"
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 06:33 AM UTC
my dad had this for his train set, i can remember the moulds were a dark green in colour as long as the plaster cures completely you should have no worries

I Think you could buy different moulds for various
buildings
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
Interesting, they look rather promising for braille scale.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 08:09 AM UTC
The original Linka also had some special moulds made from vac-formed plastic. They mainly consisted of various roofing (pantiles etc) and paving, but there was also church steeples and dormer windows. The original stuff crops up quite often on ebay.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Give 'em a shot- it may be just what you need to get you past your 'Dry Spell'- & I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say the hobby is MUCH better off with you than we are without you!

Oh shucks Rob...you're gonna make me weep like a baby, man...I am so touched.

Seruiously...thanks

I think I may actually be coming around. Once again I am starting to get visions and ideas for possible dioramas. This hasn't happened in a very long time so this is a really good sign. I may even start working on the campaigns I enrolled in. Wouldn't that be something?

As far as the Linka Molds go, I might get a set just to see what they are all about. I have always wanted to get into wargamming but the thought of having to build so many tiny building sort of tuned me off. This may just be the answer I have been looking for.
 _GOTOTOP