Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
How many fellow US Marines on Armorama ?
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,120 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 03:09 AM UTC
Gents. Just wondering how many fellow Marines are out there on Armorama ?

I know I proudly served from 1994-2002, and I'm thinking about re-enlistment, for a 2nd tour of duty.

Due to a rescent post on the Armor forum, it came to my attention that there are a few fellow Marines here on Armorama, who seem to be taking heat because they are Marines.

I know I'm proud of my enlistment, as I know you all are as well. Espirit de Corps is part of our beloved Corps, and its something that no other branch of the US Military can understand, or fathom. As for myself I wont have anyone try to degrade my service in the USMC, and as Marines, we wont allow that to happen to other fellow Marines.

This post will more then likely upset some people, and this is not my intention. My intent is to see how many fellow Marines we have here on Armorama.

Marine Corps Birthday is 10NOV04. I think we should celebrate !

HOORAH !!!

Robert M Burnside

SEMPER FI, MARINES !!
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
Bob, I'm not a Marine, just a retired Army Infantryman. But my son is completing his 2nd month of boot camp at Parris Island and I couldn't be more proud of him. So far, he loves it. Suddenly, I've become a real fan of the United States Marine Corps. Semper Fi, Mac.
white4doc
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 05:03 AM UTC
Bob,

I'm not a Marine, but I'm a Corpsman (8404) and I'm with the Marines, went to Iraq with them, and know what you mean about the Devil Dogs. Wouldn't willingly serve with anyone else! HOOORAH! Semper Fi!
medic23
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 08:46 AM UTC
I was Just medicalyy discharged from the corps after reciving a non combat related injury to my right hand. just thought i'd chime in
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 10:46 AM UTC
i'm not one...yet that is! i'm only a jr. in high school but am looking to go to VMI and become an officer in the Marines. my dad is a marine, retired 98, he served 21 years, his MOS was a ch-53E engine mechanic and served in desert storm.

semper fi
shain
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 02:58 PM UTC
Semper Fi, Robert.
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,120 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC
Gents, good to go. Glad to see some interest here !

As for my self, I was an 0311 groundpounder. I did boot at PI from October-December 1994, and completed SOI at Camp Geiger, NC, from January-March 1995. After Infantry school I was sent to my reserve unit, B 1/25 in Londonderry, NH from March 1995 until March 2001. I then Transfered to the IRR in March 2001 until May 2002. I was Honrably Discharged in May of 2002.

After a long hard thought, I'm strongly considering my re-enlistment back to my old unit, B1/25.

Its great to be a Devil Dog !

HOORAH !!

Alpen

SEMPER FI, MARINES !!!
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC
Semper Fi, Robert. I served in the mid-70's, so I guess that makes me an "old Devil Dog"...LOL.

Haven't seen anyone coming down on Marines (old or new) on this board. I'd have to admit, I'd be disappointed if I did. Armorama members as a whole seem to appreciate those who served.

Good luck to you, sir.

Mike
NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 06:53 AM UTC
I enlisted on 2/16/82 and become a "former" on 10/18/92.

My MOS was 0311/0369

My duty stations included:
Marine Barracks NWS Goose Creek SC
Fox Co 2/3 1st MAB
NCO School Instructor 1st MAB
MCT Instructor Camp Geiger NC
Lima Co 3/3 1st MAB

OOOORRRRAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Semper Fi!!
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 09:54 AM UTC
I served in the corp from 1990 to 1994 as an 1833- amphibious assault crewman. I thoroughly enjoyed my time!
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
Is very proud to be a member of the Brotherhood and to be a former Marine.

It is not wise to come down on Marines, it's a hornets nest they'd soon not mess with.

Semper Fi, ooh-rah .... carry on!

Dave
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:01 PM UTC
What does 'semper Fi' mean. I HATE LATIN!!!

cheers

Philip
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
Always faithful. My son is now a Marine. Graduated from PI 24 Nov 04 and what a change. He went from an 18 year old "boy" to an 18 year old "man" in 13 short weeks. It's awesomw what those DI's do with a youngster in that short time. I wore the uniform of a US Army infantryman for 30 years, but I'd never seen anything like this before. He has recruiter assistance duty now, but eagerly awaits his combat schooling and then MOS school. The best thing is this, he's not only my son, but now my comrade-in-arms. I'd rather have that than to see him play center field for the New York Yankees.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 03:09 AM UTC
Semper Fi the short version of Semper Fidelis means Always Faithful There is also Espit de Corps . The US Marines are a unique group of service men and women very different from any other group or branch ... I'm not saying better just different. It's a brotherhood unlike any other, the sayinf goes "Once a Marine, Always a Marine." and it is true, there is a bond that you will have with old and new Marines for your entire life.

It's worth noting that is a amazing how many speeding tickets I have avoided due to my service in the USMC as a high number of former Marine go into law enforcement. Semper Fi do or die. Ooh Rah.

Carry on ...
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 07:26 AM UTC
Iam now a part of that brotherhood. I just graduated Marine Corps Boot Camp on 2005 28 Jan. Had some of the best and worst times down there. But in the end when I got my Eagle, Globe and Anchor it was all worth it.

Right now iam home on leave, and have 7 days recruiters assistance. Enjoying my time home with friends and family, and all the good food I have missed. I leave 15 Feb, for SOI at Camp Geiger, looking forward to that.

For all the Marines on here you shouldnt have a date when you got out of the Corps. You know "once a marine always a marine" It should say 1982-Current.

Semper Fi!

Pvt. Danielson
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC
Semper Fi gents, I missed this thread when it was started so I'm just now chiming in.

Was with D co 1st Tank BN 85-89, back on the old M-60's before they brought in the M-1's, and miss it more than anything. Would love to be back in but I'm sure I'd be discharged by now due to my back (2 ruptured discs).

As was already mentioned by Dave, the Corps is a brotherhood unlike any other which is why I think I miss it so much. I think it's a combination of confidence, cockiness, arrogance and dedication to country and Corps that makes the Marines a tad different. Not saying the other forces don't feel the same love of country, they obviously do to be serving it but it's a bit different for a Marine. There's the whole history you have to live up to and carry forward.

The Corps is a brotherhood that can never be matched anywhere by anything I think, that is also what makes it so great to have earned the title, Marine.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
Mike D, welcome to the Brotherhood. In the coming years you will learn firsthand the true meaning of the Motto, Semper Fi.

Thought I posted in this one, guess not
Anyway, Parris Island July28-Oct.30 '86, 1/8 NBC until May 2000, Recalled to 2nd MarDiv NBC for Desert Storm. Tried to reenlist in 2001 but was turned down due to my age & back problems. Currently serving with the 315th AMXS, Charleston SC, USAF(R).

LemonJello
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
Chiming in as one who still wears the tree suit...

Joined in 93, went to the West Coast and became a Hollywood Marine, boot camp and SOI (0311), then came back east for security force school. First duty station was NSB Kings Bay, GA. Then it was time to hit the fleet, went to Lima Co, 3/6. Did a pump with the 24 MEU, then I decided to re-enlist and lat-move to data (4066). Spent time in Div CommCo, then a three year tour in Oki, and most recently I'm back home with 6th Marine Regiment, where we went to Afghanistan last year. Just re-enlisted last December for another 4, got just over 11 in so far.

Always good to see some of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children on the web.