_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Decal Question
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:03 PM UTC
Guys, I would be interested to know how you all apply decals. I know that Future is popular, and I have yet to try it. I have used the Micro-set / Micro-sol system. The problem is that I can never get the decal to have that "painted on" look. Or at least not enough to satify me. I just finished Tamiya's excellent Willys Jeep kit and the only flaw is the hood decals.
So, what does everyone reccomend as the "best" method?
Thanks for your help.
Chuck
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:12 PM UTC
There are many techniques to getting the decals to settle over and into crevices and molded detail, but the most important is to apply the decal to a smooth, glossy surface. Future is basically an acrylic gloss coat, hence its use as a primary coating for decal application. Any gloss coat will do though. Once you have a gloss coat down, apply the decal using whichever method works best for you and the decal (not all decals are created equal). Then give the model a dull coat to bring back the flat finish.

Applying the decal over a flat finish allows air bubbles to be trapped between the decal and the paint. Thus the infamous "silvering" occurs. Also, sometimes it is better to cut a long decal into smaller pieces. They may be easier to apply and minimize the amount of clear film in the decal.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:28 PM UTC
I couldn't have said it better myself Rob. Same method here Chuck.
Good Luck.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 01:10 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I bought a lifetime supply of Future and Windex and I'm ready for some serious decaling.
Chuck
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC
Another decal question: Has anyone here used OK Decals successfully? I'd like to like them, but have had no real luck in getting them to work. The examples (National Insignia) I have bought are really, really, fragile. They break when you try to apply them to the model.

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:10 AM UTC
When you buy aftermarket decals (or any decals that look too thin on the sheet) you are supposed to spray them will clear coat (Testors Gloss Clear in a spray can is fine) first. Let dry, cut out as normal and apply as you usually would. Thin coats, mist it on. The flat coat applied at the end of the project will bring the decals back to the dull finish desired.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:03 AM UTC
I forget this step in the joy of modeling. I love the finishing stages of the model and get excited. I also forget it because I actually sprayed a coat of DullCote on an Archers Fine Transfer sheet - and the transfers disintergrated before my very eyes. Traumatic wasn't the word - it was almost like I dropped a model...

Gunnie
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks for all those hints. I had so many problems with decals in the past that I stopped using them altogether. Well, there's not many around on 1/15th scale anyway

Would someone know what font type is used for modern US license plates ?

Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all those hints. I had so many problems with decals in the past that I stopped using them altogether. Well, there's not many around on 1/15th scale anyway

Would someone know what font type is used for modern US license plates ?

What state?! No real standardization here. I can take a picture of a GSA (US Govt) plate if need be sometime next week.
 _GOTOTOP