_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Use of tea leaves
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi guys

I have read on this and other sites about the use of tea leaves for everything for moss to a camo. Can someone give me more info on this?

Thanks
Harry.D
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 09:31 AM UTC
for camo? do you mean the parts of the camo netting? if so, i use oregano for that, never tried tea leaves....i'll try that one just to find out
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 09:55 AM UTC
That would be tea leaves, before you make tea with them. After you made tea they might be good to make mud, but not camouflage. :-)

Cheers
Henk
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 09:57 AM UTC
Howdy wolfsix,

Tea leave's?.....well, of course! I've been using tea leave's for (mostly) ground cover for quite a long time. I've got several old plastic parmesan cheese containers along with their 'shaker' lids full of tea leaves.
As an additional tidbit, not only can you get a slightly different look from unused vs. used tea leaves, but you can also pick 'flavoured' teas that will add different colourings to your 'mix'.
But if you want to use the flavoured teas, use the cheapest teas you can find (from a Dollar Store for example). Reason being is that these cheaper teas use artifical flavouring/colouring to acheive their taste enhancement, as opposed to the high priced teas that actually use real bits of the particular flavouring to create their teas. Again, the reason for choosing the cheaper version is because the leaqves themselves are simply 'tinted', and the more expensive teas have bits and pieces in their mix that just don't look right......
hth.

Tread.

Oh, and in fact, there is a flavoured, powered drink mix that when ground up with a pestel is the spittin' image of that red 'dirt' found in the 'Nam....sorry, can't remember the name at the moment....

"...After you made tea they might be good to make mud, but not camouflage...."
sorry Henk, I beg to differ..... ;-)
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys - I have read on this and other sites about the use of tea leaves for everything for moss to a camo. Can someone give me more info on this? Thanks Harry.D

I use them for a vareity of leaves, from trees, brush and here vines. Dried, glue, and painted.

John
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 10:12 AM UTC

Superb work there John........really nice use of the 'leaves' as well....

Tread.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"...After you made tea they might be good to make mud, but not camouflage...."
sorry Henk, I beg to differ..... ;-)

Fair enough Gordon, I'll try again. Maybe I'll leave the leaves (ho ho) to dry before I use them this time.

Cheers
Henk
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 12:02 PM UTC
Howdy Korporaal Henk,

Hope you understood my joking. As I'm sure you already know (but I'll say it anyway for wolfsix's sake), the unused tea leaves are a lighter brown, and the used tea leaves (once dry) are a darker brown colour.
But. I also want to extend a "Thank You!" to you Henk, for giving me an idea........tell me what you think.
The used (and wet) tea leaves do appear rather 'muddy' looking. So I'm wondering if dampened tea leaves could be used to simulate that dark, rich mud that always seemed to get mixed with both leaves and pine needles in the Ardenne's?
Once in place in a diorama, one could 'seal' the dampened tea leaves and (hopefully?) retain some of that 'wet' look...........
sound plausible?

Tread.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 12:28 PM UTC
Tread,

my lips are sealed, as I'm in on the Ardennes campaign. . only kidding, but yes you are right. I have just started to experiment with these, as they are the exact copy of the thick pack of wet, soggy leaves in a forrest. I am going to try gloss or medium gloss varnish to retain the result. When I come up with something that is remotely acceptable, I'll post some pic's.
And before the purists start, I know that most of the Ardennes is Pine wood, but not all of it. I know, i've been there a few times.

Cheers
Henk
Neill
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 05:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb work there John........really nice use of the 'leaves' as well.... Tread.

Thank You. I also use a variety of herb and spices.

John

wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi all

Thanks guys, for getting back to me so fast, and for the ideas. This is going to give raiding the kitchen a completely new meaning. I better do it while my roommate is sleeping or she will think that I've really gone off my rocker.
Neil, are those tea leaves used as vines in your dio ? They look real. The use of herbs and spices, for modelling, even if they look bad the dio should smell good. :-)
Thanks again guys
Harry
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
I used to use tea leaves to simulate scrim on cammo netting on my micro-armour. Obviously I painted it.

And the advantage of tea leaves is you can make tea before sticking them on the model
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
Leave it to the 'Limey's of the bunch to come up with another use for tea leaves.....

Tread.

Oh, BTW, as I've said before. I too am a 'Limey'. Transplanted, but still a Limey.

And don't forget to keep us posted on your 'wet' leaves progress Henk. I'm very interested in the results. Possibly mixing the leaves with a slight 'slurry' made of pastels and/or pigments. As to the pine needles...........balsa in a blender?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, and in fact, there is a flavored, powered drink mix that when ground up with a pastel is the spittin' image of that red 'dirt' found in the 'Nam....sorry, can't remember the name at the moment....

You wouldn't be talking about Kool-Aid or Tang by any chance, would you? :-)
Neill
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Neil, are those tea leaves used as vines in your dio ? They look real. Harry

thanks...

The tea leaves onthat one were Sumatran Tea I got from Cost Plus Import Store.

John
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 09:46 AM UTC

..................errrrrr, no. Uhnuh........

Tread.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 04:47 AM UTC
I use tea leaves as well, both used and unused. As with any other organic material, be sure they are totally dried and cover them with a flat spray to keep them from turning brown and to keep from attracting ctritters.
Experiment with different cuts of tea and herbal teas, etc. If you want a bunch, go to a seed or tea store and look at their bulk teas. You get a lot of material for a few bucks.

Sealhead
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 05:16 AM UTC
colonel sanders is a modeller!
Quoted Text

Thank You. I also use a variety of herb and spices.

:-) but he won't tell you what they are
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 05:34 AM UTC
i read about this

take a leenex tissue, wet it with glue[ didn't say what kind ]sprinkle on tea leaves, after it dries roll it up into a tube, apply tiess, then cut to size to fit scale and attack to model as a rolled up camo net......

reb
 _GOTOTOP