Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Good News & Bad News (Lost Data)
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
Well the good news is I am back on the web, and my computer is working reasonably well now. The bad news is I have lost everything.

After purchasing a certain utilities program (NSW2005) I installed it on my computer. There is a program on the disk called GoBack (kinda like xp's system restore), I installed that then proceeded to do the new windows updates (all those security ones that just popped up). I went to reboot my computer for the changes to take effect, and WHAAMMMO! My computer wouldn't boot (tried boot disk, booting from CD etc. nada) I finally conceeded to the fact I was going to have to reformat and re-install XP. I didn't realize that upon doing so XP was not going to recognize my secondary (slave) hard drive. That 120GB hard drive has Gigs of irreplaceable (and some replaceable) stuff on it. I have lost all my reference photos (4 years worth) among other things :-) (if you know what I mean). Needless to say I had to remove the partition on the 2nd HD, and am now (5 hrs into it) trying to recover what I can from the drive. The moral to this story: Find some way to back-up your computer, or burn your important stuff to a CD in case this happens to you. Now all my free time this weekend will be spent fixing my computer. Wish me luck!!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC
Jason, I am surprised you had to resort to removing (did you mean deleting) a partition? If your 120GB drive was a slave drive, Windows XP should be able to see it. I don't know what your configuration is like but with me I either split my hard drive into several partitions (usually two) and install the operating system on the C drive and have everything else on the D drive. That way if my OS bites the dust I can just reformat the C drive and not have to worry about losing any data on the D drive. The same goes for multiple physical hard drives. Smaller one is for the OS and maybe some apps and the larger one is for stuff I wan to keep in case of a system failure. Let me know if I can help with your problem. Without knowing your actual config it is hard for me to give you any tips.

BTW, Performing backups is definitely a smart thing to do.
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
I have 2 hard drives, one with my OS (split in two parts) and that is just extension partitions. Device manager showed my second hard drive, my bios recognized it was there, but because of the way it was partitioned before, and the was the access was granted to it before, XP wouldn't show it (under my computer etc)I had been struggling with this for 4 days!! I ended up having to remove the partitions (on the 2nd drive) and I quick format them. Now using a recovery program, I'm trying to save what I can.....fricken technology! (and darn Micro$oft! )
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC
I guess it is too late now that partitions are gone but did you by any chance look at the Disk Manager (part of the Computer Management console). Sometimes even if a drive doesn't show up under My Computer it will show up in the Disk Manager as inactive (off line) and you can activate it. unless your hard drives were joined together into a large volume (spanning both drives) your OS should have been able to see the second drive. I wish I had known about this sooner. I am confident we could have saved your hard drive.
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
Well, I did utilize the Disk Management part of Admin Tools.....my drive was there (name, but no letter associated) but I was unable to manipulate it in any way whatsoever. Oh well, little late now I suppose. As long as I can recover a descent ammount of stuff I'll be okay! Yeah I wish I knew someone knew about this too....but I had no internet until today, and I conceeded that I was going to lose some stuff......thanks anyway!
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I installed that then proceeded to do the new windows updates (all those security ones that just popped up)

I just downloaded this updates and now I can't play battlefield vietnam anymore! any sugestions? I can play all games except that one, I tried to play it after I installed the updates and was unable to, when I came back to windows a security message had popped out telling me that game was unsafe for the system of something, and now I can't play it!
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just downloaded this updates and now I can't play battlefield vietnam anymore!

Are you getting any errors or the game just doesn't launch?
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
The game starts and everything, but when I choose and map and it starts loading, it doesn't end loading, or if it ends loading nothing else appears.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 07:46 PM UTC
I went through the same thing about 2 yrs ago........
It took my other half almost 3 weeks to recover almost all of the stuff that was on the second HD....... I now use alot of CD-RW's and back stuff up every few weeks.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 10:42 PM UTC
DRAGONSLAIN, have you tried reinstalling the game?