Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
strange Mitchell helmet cover...
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hey guys,

I have a strange piece of militaria. It is a vietnam type cover, it is reversable, and the only thing wierd about it is that it doesn't meet smoothly at the bales, like it should. I checked it out and instead of having the normal description and numbers, it has a simple 62 in a circle. Any clue what is up with that? It was issued to my grandfather while he was stateside, and he has a different cover from when he was in Vietnam, and it has various grafitti on it.

here is pictures from before I pulled it tight on the helmet and added the helmet band

IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi there is nothing wrong with the cover they were all made like that , I have over 8 and they all ride up and are not smooth , markings are few and far between most are a code for date or sometimes a part stock number cheers ian
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hey David i showed this to my freind who is an authority on nam stuff etc... he has a huge collection of u.s. militaria from 1860 to the present day ! this helmet cover is pre DSA so pre dates the dsa issue numbers, about 19660-66, it is made of denim material instead of the usual cotton duck , the size is of no consiquence apparently it was a standard size for all covers and the pattern didnt change ,some simply shrunk them to fit thighter on the helmet ,but in 0 years of collecting its only the 4 one he has seen ,he owns 2 already! according to him quite rare!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:37 PM UTC
That is SO cool!
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:58 PM UTC
wow, cool helmet cover, i have a vietnam era mosquito face net!, matches that camo