_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
My new toy
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 03:09 AM UTC
Oooooo, Rob! Those look like fun!

Let me know when you get proficient on those things and I'll bring over some stock so you can "demonstrate" making me a few gun barrels

Just kiddin', but I do look forward to seeing what you are capable of making. I've toyed with the idea of getting a hobby lathe or milling machine, but don't really know enough about the things to now what to look for ... maybe I ought to take a class or two at the tech school. Last time I used a lathe was decades ago in high school shop class ... never touched a milling machine.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 03:59 AM UTC
As far as indexed tools, they are just too damn expensive for me, I pay $2 or $3 for a carbide tip bit which amounts to a pound to a pound and a half, Ossie. At this point I have already spent a little over the limit of my budget, so I need to save a little bit to get back on track. You might consider getting a milling attachment like you can get from littlemachineshop.com.. They are attached to your lathe and allow you to use end mills with it. No sure who would have them on that side of the pond.

The only reason I was willing to get them is because we are supposed to be going over them in the Manufacturing Processses class I am taking at the BTC. But we haven't gotten to them yet and I am wondering when we will. I missed my thursday class, and I was hoping the teacher would announce our new schedule then. We'll se if I can even turn my own gun barrels, Bob.
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
hi

i bought a vertical vice and i alreday have some other bits and pieces to do milling on the lathe.

i spent alot more than i wanted but i am getting the machine i wanted.
i nearly bought the 520 but the size of work i was doing it then came down to the mini lathe.

i also got arbours, centers set including several differant size live & dead centers, slitting tools etc. i ended paying £ 663.12 which worked out a bit less then the 520 but it will suit my needs and that i can use it in my model room/office within the house.

will send you a picture when it arrives. it is i belive what you call a 7x12 version.

tapering of a barrel can be done on the mini lathe but you need to invest in some measuring tools.

ossie

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC
Once i got my sherline set, I ordered my tooling from Travers Tool Company

They have some pretty good deals.

Matt
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 05:34 PM UTC
Well, I'm home now and have had a chance to open up the mill. It's not really a big one but it is big enough for modeling purposes. By the way, if any of you decide to get one, expect to spend about an hour cleaning it. They cover it in cosmoline or some such grease to keep the milled surfaces from rusting. I used some gasoline and cleaned it outside (It was a nice day). I spent a good half hour on the lead screw alone, it was really gummed up. I have decided to use Marvel air tool oil for the lubrication, it has served me well for many years as a mechanic. This one had no tool bits but my cousin in law had the forsight to get some for me. It was fortuitous timing I guess.

Both the lathe and mill needed to be adjusted so going to mimi-lathe com and littlemachineshop.com to get the adjustment procedures is a must for any would be machinists. Mainly the adjustments are in the "gibs". These are just guides to tighten up the tables where they slide on the ways. Tightening the gibs makes the cutting table more firm and makes the cut more accurate.

I need to get some clamps still and some more stock to mill. Oh and that little thing about actually learning to use them.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 12:32 AM UTC
Rob,

Don't fret..... It's not all that difficult to use them.....(depending on what you're attempting) Sometimes trying to get the piece you want to machine clamped safly is the most dificult part!!!!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC
Well, I have been learning more and more and I have been able to get more tools and bits for them. I have become pretty good at milling holes in sheet styrene. I have also learned the art of milling two pieces clamped together so they are both accurate. This skill has been something I have been trying to do for a very long time. That and cutting an accurate 90 degree angle are two things the mill is good for. I haven't done much more than play around on the lathe much yet. I have some aluminum bar stock now but I need to cut it before I can turn it. I intend to take it to work one of these days and cut the stock there.
AVRE165
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 08:50 AM UTC
hi

finally my Lathe finally arrived. Metric version

well impressed i got so much with it :- ,3,4 jaw jucks, Arbour & drill , complete live center set, dead center set, Idex tool set and a normal 8mm set, imperal thread cutting gears , Cross solide clamp, center drills, fixed & travelling supports.

had to rearange my office/model room though.

look at my gallery ossie
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:30 AM UTC
Cool, Ossie. I'm happy for you. This looks to be the same model I got, but I didn't get as many attachmenst as you. I did get the tailstock and two supports and several of the attachments. I had to buy most of the rest separately. Congrats, dude.
AVRE165
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
hi

i had to pay for some extras as well but got some bits thrown in because of the delay at a discount.

it has been commissioned for me by WARCO but i have a profesional comming tommorrow night to check it through.
have you taken the tail stock off yet?
if so look underneath it allows you to do offset tappered turning as well as using the cross slide.

speak to you soon
ossie
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:19 AM UTC
Not having any machining experience at all, what type of parts can you make on that besides barrels?
AVRE165
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC
hi

it opens a new world in model making, from totaly scratchbuilding a vehicle & not worry about after market track ( make a master & cast one) , wheels,sprockets, radio anttena, Mg mounts, Mg
or some of the first world war experiamental vehicles or Model engineering subjects , like steam engines, Engines etc.

if you look at say Tony Greenlands book or work by Brian Wells then you will know what can be done.

if you look on the web there is quite a few people using lathes within most Areas of model making , from boots, Aircraft, Cars, Trucks,Armour etc.

hope this helps
ossie
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
Wow! You can make a track link on a lathe? I'm going to have to learn more about this.
AVRE165
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
hi

but it is not just that simple. in reality in 1/35 i could probaly scratch build one in plastic quicker. But say some thing not to complecated like a WWi track link then you could mill one. better to be done on a milling machine rather than a Lathe but you can do Milling on lathes.

the best way to learn is to do a evening class and see what you can or can not do. thats i what i did then took it from there.

i have been using a Unimat SL small lathe since 1987 so i learnt the basics first.

it is like any tool you use in model making it assist you but only if you really need it.

ossie

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 12:20 AM UTC
You fellows that bought these machines should do a full write up rerview of them after you've had time to use them awhile.

What have you been able to make on them? Are they worth the money? Ease of use, quality of machine ... etc.

Dave
AVRE165
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Dave

there is somebody who has answered this question who is quite knowledgeable. but in the end it is what you want to do with it & how much money you have.

the main problem which you have to remember.

""you can remove material but you can not put it back. ""

ossie

bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:25 AM UTC
Good purchases guys. Lots of potential with machinery! It opens up a whole new world for you.

I run my own machine shop and make gun parts and I also make parts for movie props. I must admit that I use the mill much more than the lathe. These are the kinds of thimngs you can do with them. From my shop.

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 05:55 AM UTC
The problem with doing a review on my part is that it is going to take me a couple years to get any good with them. I can't do a whole lot no matter what fancy stuff I buy and need lots of practice. I don't know wether mine tools are good ones or not and won't know till I can become proficient with them.
 _GOTOTOP