_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Worth Its Weight in Brass?
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hey everyone-
I was looking around for PE sets for my HH-60 and HEMTT and was suprised by how expensive those sets are. Both were at least half of the price of the model itself. So I ask you, are PE sets worth their weight in brass? Do you buy them always, never at all, or only for that special project? Are they necessary to make a kit look realistic? Just wanted to see what your thoughts were.
Kyle
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 09:00 PM UTC
I've only bought one and never liked it. My solution, scratch it out! Waaay less expensive and more challenging to build.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 09:12 PM UTC
Eduard used to have small sets that contained enough parts to enhance a kit. They now do multi-fret sets that are at least $20+ and try to replace every detail item they can. Even when the original plastic part is superior.

I still like older Eduard sets along with On The Mark and Airwaves since their sets were not quite so complicated and comprehensive. Detailing is not as sharp on some of these early PE sets though.

I think the "more is better" trend started with Aber PE. Those folks give you hinges that you build that can actually work if you do them right. Most folks only use about 40-50% of the PE on the fret. Aber PE is superb though.

Eduard did start going back to Zoom sets that once again give you just the bare essentials like head light guards and any mesh grills. I guess they've realized that platic kits are getting better and they don't need to produce $25 sets to add to a $20 kit.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:09 PM UTC
I think a lot of it is way out of hand, now I can see when parts take a lot of work, and time, they got to cost money.

Now if they can set them up, and mass produce them for very little money, but charge a fortune, then it is time to be looking for other means to replace it.

I liked that idea about using aluminum cans for some parts.

Kerry
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:24 PM UTC
I think aftermarket PE and resen detail sets are way overpriced and not worth the money. Most experienced modelers can scratch most of the details that they offer. i think they are a gimock, not worth the money.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:37 PM UTC
No body seems to agree with prices and no one justifies its use, but I see everybody using it. I only like the PE grills, to which I haven't found any way to scratchbuild them.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:46 PM UTC
things like grill sets and stuff yes but working hinges.........why your not going to try it yourself never mind let some kid at a model show just an over priced over engineered gimmick and you put more PE on the carpet than your kit
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:57 PM UTC
Ahhh I'm a good consumer ...when I decide I'm going to build a kit for a show ,I'll buy multiple sets of P/E and resin just so I can pick and choose the best parts from each manufacturer...The rest doesn't go to waste I usually find some good use for it.

Rick
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 05:05 AM UTC
After trying to use PE sets on a few kits, I have found that they do not make the model building experience more enjoyable for me. Like others have said here, I think the replacement grills, headlight guards and some of the "bigger" details are worth it. But most of the stuff included in PE sets just aren't worth the money.

I would say 80% of my future builds will be OOB. I just seems silly to spend $25-$35 on PE, $30 on aftermarket tracks and who knows how much on whatever else. Before you know it, a $35 kit ends up being $100.00+. With 120+ kits waiting to be built, I just can't justify the investment of money in PE when I won't use most of the set.

TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 07:50 AM UTC
I like and use the zoom sets.Espescially for the tool clamps and brackets for my German armor.
I usually buy a kit,look at it versus references.Then if many parts can be done better in PE,I will buy it.But if detailscan be thinned out,that will be good enough for me.
Besides.My eyes are going
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC
I too, like to scratch build my own parts. Theres way to many other resorces out there to use. As Kenny mentioned one can use aluminum and evergreen has plenty of shapes and sizes of plastic products to to make your own detail models. Thats all i ever use.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 01:00 PM UTC
Hi,
They are expensive.
But I have bought a few.
Seat belts mainly, the pre-painted ones. They do help as they add that little extra right where you can see them.
I've also got a few others. Mainly for undercarriage doors and the like for various Luft 46 subjects.
I do find cockpit detail sets useful if the "hole" is big enough to see what is inside. But if its a 5mm x 5mm thing not much is seen anyway so would only add seat belts in these cases.

I think it depends on the model you are doing. I don't throw everything on a model, but try to be more selective and choose extra parts that do make a difference. Still at 1/72nd not that many are required. 1/48th and above do sometimes cry out for extra detailing as the areas are that little bit bigger and therefore plainer.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
 _GOTOTOP