Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Armorama Question " Deep Thought "
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC
Ok

Do you think Armorama has helped the hobby become bigger, because of it's awsome atomshpere. And it's reference photo's taken by some of the people here.

All of the extra details that are improved upon seems almost daily keeping it fresh and fun to interact with.

Or could it be that it's not just a hobby site but and over all club or as some say AKA " family here "

I feel since I have joined the site I have seen a growth in the industry . I think it does because the site gives alot of great tips on how to use certain products. And even how to improve on after-market stuff.

Also makes it more fun to know you don't have to go to a contest or show to show your skills.

Thats just my 2 cents

Happy Modeling

P.S. I just thought I would get what your feels where.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC
Armorama has helped me feel more "involved" in the hobby. The one thing I look forward to every night, other than hugging my wife and changing out of my uniform, is logging in to armorama and reading the new posts for the day.

The one thing I love about armorama is it is a one stop resource for me. You have timely hobby news updates, excellent reviews, great contributions by model builders from all over the world and just plain fun conversation.

I visit websites like missing links, ww2 model maker just to name a couple but I never enjoy them as much as I do Armorama. This is a unique community that I think is second to none that can never be replaced.

I have seen this community explode since I joined. It has really been exciting to see so many people join up. Now that I live in a small town, Armorama has pretty much become my model club since I no longer have access to IPMS or AMPS groups.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
Good post Tom and good reply Brent.

The atmosphere here is one of belonging to a big family. You know you are amongst friends when you log on.
Other sites have their qualities but there is no other site that radiates such warmth and the offer of such honest friendship.
I visited quite often before I joined but once I quickly realised no one was going to phase me out I just had to become a member.
There is no pressure here, only excellent advise and encouragement.
I know my models are a whole deal better because of it.
And my modelling horizons have expanded in a way I wouldn't have thought possible.
I think a big pat on the back is due to all our members, whether young or old, expert or beginner, and of course the moderators and staff Jim. Everyone makes this site what it is.
And long may it continue.

Cheers
Peter.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 01:08 PM UTC
Wow....these are great testimonials guys! If only I could get people to say this kind of thing for some of the companies I have worked for. hehe

Seriously though this site is most definately a "community effort" and has been utter magic since the start. It has exceeded my wildest dreams really.

As to the idea that it has given a boost to the hobby, well I think all the sites out there have done that. It's hard to imagine how 300,000 posts, 400 features, 500 reviews, 700 news stories, and 40,000 photos could not help a "little". hehe

Cheers,
Jim
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
1. Having Armorama member sculptors and painters for companies, authors for modelling magazines and model company owners,
2. Having one of the biggest online reference for all kinds of military vehicles and equipment,
3. Having about 5000 modelers
4. Having a FAMILY CONCEPT since it started

YES I believe Armorama gives a lot to modelers, modelling and model industry.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 02:28 PM UTC
i can say that Armorama is the most friendlier modeling community i ever visit. Long ago before i discovered Armorama, i visited to quite number of modeling forums but after sometime i feel that my interest on those forums were no longer strong. The environment here were much more friendly and i cant say about 99% free from international politics which happen to one of the forum i've been visiting before. I lost some friends on other forum as well, resulted from political debating and other stuff!! While this website rocks!! I can fell no more like home here and not being afraid to share a few tips and gain another more. One feature that make me love Armorama is the Campaign feature. I didn't have any locals hobby club and rarely seen contest on my country. Campaign boost up my speed as i have lots of unbuilt kit or unfinished kit. The campaign things work like Nitro bursting into my engine. Thanks a zillion to the creator of this website and well done on keeping this website free from those unnecessary political things!
Long Live Armorama!!!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 06:16 PM UTC
what makes it great is the fact that you dont have flame wars here like on other sites, and also it's helped people take up the hobby without feeling too intimadated to ask questions or show their work without the fear of being chastised for whatever reason
and it's also a good laugh unlike some other sites I could mention
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 06:50 PM UTC
I must tip my hat to Jim. I know that Jim has put in many a sleepless knight making this site what it is today. One thing (as mentioned) that makes it a great site is the 'freshness' and improvements that are Always happening. It makes it interesting, fun, new, and the involvement and response to feedback Jim has is great.
Secondly check this out
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=A_Guard&file=contributors
Look at all the 'family' involvement there is - amazing.

This site has an atmosphere of inclusion and volunteerism (if thats a word). People genuinely Want to help each other. I know from a personal point, my growth in this hobby has exploded because of this site and all who have pushed me and challenged me on all levels.
The inclusion of all the various aspects of the overall hobby of modeling is a huge boost to this site. You get cross over and cohesion of the different modelers. I know I can come and get help with a figure I'm working on and at the same time I can get help on how the drive levers of an M113 are connected to the floor.....

One Stop - Inclusion - Humble - Fresh - Always Striving to improve - these are the qualities of this site that help me.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 10:07 PM UTC
Greetings!
I cant add a lot to what has already been said above. But I do know that with most other sites, when I visit I feel like an outsider! I feel like I dont fit in with there small circle of friends there, snubbed!
But here at Armorama it has never been that way. Every time I log on , I feel comfortable and know I am amongst friends who share our great hobby. It amazes me how well we all get along, as I have commented on in the past. Yes, we are a family here. We are friends!
Now belly up to the bar! Drinks are on Jim!

Cheers mates,

Garry
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
This site has done what I have no other do: bring people together. It is like we are members of a small town club that welcome all in. No matter what problem a person has wheter it be needing help with the right markings for a vehicle, or support after a fire in their home, Armorama members come through. Keep up the good work everybody, as this is a modeling community.

Patrick
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
Before I found Armorama, I hadn't touched a model in years. Now, thanx to the work I've seen, and the support of the staff and members here, I not only got the incentive to start up again, but to actually join a campaign. I think one of the the things that makes this site is that it is cooperative, not competitive, and no matter what the level of your expertise, nobody ever puts you down. And one more thing. Can you think of another site where most of the people have never met, but will reach out to a member in need thousands of miles away, as with Costas? Like I've said before, perhaps our so-called world leaders could learn a few things from us.

Art
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 04:26 AM UTC
I am not sure as to how much bigger the model hobby has grown because of Armorama. But one thing that I am sure that Armorama has done is brought together fellow modellers. And not just in our communities, even just in our countries, but across the world. When I talk to Shonen_Red in the Phillippenes or FAUST in the Netherlands or Jimbrae in Spain (to name a few), I am amazed at how cool it is that I am able to get together (if only in text and occasional still pictures) with people thousands of miles away.

Another thing that this site does that I don't think many people remember is the amount of respect this site builds toward the military. Given the conversations we have we the large amount of active, reserve/national guard, and retired veterans from the worlds armies, we began to build an understanding that the military isn't around to just kill people, but, instead does so much more. We get an appreciation of the sacrifice that each soldier gives and not necessarily their lives, but their time, their futures, and so much more.

One last thing that I think this site has really succeeded in doing is uniting many major sites (if only in links). Given the number of modelling companies, the numerous models available, and the innumerable accessories, modifications, and conversions to those models. Being only a few years old, this site has grown so much and with so much potential that I can't wait to see where it is going to go. Even being relatively new and given the amount of things I still have to learn, I am honored to be given the chance to share, echo, and elaborate on the information that I have since learned from this site.

Jeff
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
awh! do i feel a group hug coming on :-)
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 08:29 AM UTC
If we're gonna hug, I need to shower first. :-) You'll thank me later.
You guys are so right. We have a world wide model club here, and it rocks.
Chuck
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 10:21 AM UTC
I wondered what that stench was! This smell appeared to be seeping through my computer. Of course, I then realized that it was my laundry hamper right behind me and the fact that I'm in an 8 x 16 cinderblock room that is shared by two teenagers. Sorry for the mix-up. I'll still take that hug though!

Jeff
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC
The most important thing when you get to this forum is how you are welcomed and treated, if you are treated nicely it is really hard to be rude. That's the key to armorama.

I do not think armorama alone has moved the industry, there are also other websites out there that rule