Local, Regional, or International.
Hobby Town Contest
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
Will someone please start a thread about todays contest so that I can post that I got a 3rd place for my IDF M151without seeming to brag.

Oh, I seem to have already done so.

I'm sure someone here took a 1st place or even Best of Show. How did everyone do?

Chuck
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 07:37 AM UTC
You know how you sometimes wish that someone would post a picture of a prizewinning model so that you can congratulate them on a job well done? .
Oops, seems somebody just did :-) .

Congratulations
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
Congratulations Chuck - and a mighty fine model you've got there!

I was awarded a Best of Show for my Formations M4A1 with Applique Armor model this afternoon. These are photos of the completed project for the "10 Of Ours is Better than One of Yours" Campaign to build Shermans. I think "Derby" came out nice, and has got me diving right into another Sherman model...

Gunnie
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 09:17 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Congratulations Jim, great work on the Sherman. Which Sherman is up next? I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Chuck
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 11:20 PM UTC
I have a Jumbo and a M4A3 76 at about the same stage on initial construction in front of me. I'm having trouble fixating on just one to complete. One day I feel like a Jumbo - the next day I feel like the 'A3...

Knowing me, I might just open up a new kit and finish it before both of them. I have a Firefly Vc and a M36 calling to me now too...

Gunnie
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC
We share an illness Gunnie. :-)
It's rare for me to finish a kit without starting at least one more in the process.
I had originaly intended to enter a Czech T-55 training vehicle in the contest and got sidetracked so many times that I ended up entering the IDF M151.
Looking forward to seeing whatever you finish next.

Chuck
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:44 AM UTC
Congratulations Chuck and Jim. I attended my local HT show too. I did OK too.(1st Place Diorama for my Incoming! build) I was a little disappointed by some of the participant judging though. There were many well deserving builds that were very well crafted that didn't fair well because they weren't "flashy" enough. It's really a shame to see a build with silvered decals or seam gaps and / or poor seam filling beat a flawless (is there such a thing :-) We'll say near perfect) build because it had a finish that can catch your eye at 5 feet. I guess that is the way contests can go. I just wish everyone took the time to really look at what they were judging. It may take longer to judge them, but you know the time and effort it takes to build them. Don't you think the modelers deserve to have us make our best effort in judging rather than a quick once over.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
- I hear you Rich. This is a reason why I try to attend as many different "style" of model shows. It keeps my perspectives fresh as I view the pros and cons of the different methods of "judgement" the administrators use to select models. It's pretty helpful to find out just what people look at and what they gravitate towards - technical or visual appeal.

Yesterday, I hung out with a fellow starship modeler - I like them too. Made a new friend. He had a few Star Trek ships and a really old Seaview submarine that he went to great pains to light up. It was fun swapping ideas and approaches to modeling. I don't normally do "winky-blinkies" but his models reminded me of how much fun they can be.

There were some low-rider auto models there too. I don't know if they were static or setup to "hop" but I found them intriguing too. I've never considered seriously building one - but - the modeler had done a job on a '60's era Cougar that caught my eye. Skills and technique could have definitely been improved - but not the idea. It was cool.

This is something I miss on Forums - just hanging out and talking shop with kits and models right there in front of you. The Judging was anti-climactic, at least for me, because I left with renewed interest in modeling.

My wife also bought me that big old Revell 1:72 scale U-Boat too as an early Birthday present. I can hardly wait to cut into that baby!

Gunnie
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
Rich,
I too have seen some outstanding entries passed over.
On the other hand, most local contests probably have "amature" judges. At the HT contest I attended everyone went out of thier way to be supportive and complimentry toward each other. I really enjoyed that.
Also, this is the first time I recieved a scoring sheet, which I thought was very helpful.
Congratulations on your win. Well deserved.
Chuck
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rich,
I too have seen some outstanding entries passed over.
On the other hand, most local contests probably have "amature" judges. At the HT contest I attended everyone went out of thier way to be supportive and complimentry toward each other. I really enjoyed that.
Also, this is the first time I recieved a scoring sheet, which I thought was very helpful.
Congratulations on your win. Well deserved.
Chuck

I agree with Chuck here too. Every level of contest has something appealing - and the local HBYTWN's have always been relaxing and fun in my experience. There's lots of time and opportunity to swap ideas and meet people that do not frequent the local IPMS contests - or any other for that matter in some cases. It's always enlightening and interesting. They are good venues to get feedback on models too - like our Forums here...

Gunnie
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 01:49 AM UTC
You guys are quite correct. I also enjoy the HT show atmosphere. It is a great place to meet new friends, learn new techniques and renew our modeling interests. I guess what bothered me most was that the closest competition was in a class that was also the largest class. ( Automobile if you haven't guessed)It could take a long time to judge using a critical eye. It seems to me as if it was too bothersome to some people to take the time to look real close at craftsmanship.

Now don't get me wrong, the models that won were very nice looking. The builders should be proud. I wish I could do a car that well. Some day maybe I will, thanks to the friends that can be / are made at these shows. I just wanted to make the case that we, as judges, should do our best to reward the most deserving builds before we go back to the festivities.

Maybe I am just starting to take my judging responsibilities too seriously and should take Sgt Big Toe's ( Sgt Hulka) advice to "lighten up, Francis"!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
No - not to serious at all...

It's a tough thing to do, to volunteer to Judge. I take it very seriously because I do want to pay respect to all by consistently approaching and evaluating what I look at the same way. Doing that often means missing out on shooting the breeze with the other contestants and chance to miss interesting tidbits though. It is a thankless job quite often - as the only feedback you get in spades is negative. I've been doing it a long time though - I do get to enjoy the models I look at.

This year at the Phoenix Nationals, like Al mentioned in a different thread, I participated in a Modeler's Critique session. This was successful and a little different, as I think it takes a fair amount of fortitude to bring your model up to a panel of Judges for open evaluation. For both the modeler wanting a real critique - and for the Judges having to give it. Four out of five modelers were pretty receptive to the idea after some initial trepidation. The fifth was typical, and didn't appear to appreciate the critique but that's how it goes. Advice is good only if you're receptive to it...

I was approached to serve on this panel of Judges at the National. I was a bit uncomfortable at first (not really wanting to deal with Modeler #5) but once we got into to it - it was fun and valuable. Next year in Atlanta, I'll volunteer to man the panel this time around.

Thanks for taking Judging seriously - all participants appreciate that attitude when you're called to help out at a show. I certainly do!

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP