_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Cool beans...err...chains that is!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 07:34 AM UTC
Being the wonderful woman she is, my wife knew I was rummaging around for chains that would look good for 1/35th. She went into one of those costume jewelry stores in the mall and picked me up a dozen sets of 18" chains. She got me three different scales. Whoa, way too cool. They look terrific. Just a little weathering and viola!!
She spent a total of $4.63!! And to think I was considering purchasing some from the hobby store, the ones used for ship models, for triple that cost and alot less in total length!
Had to pass that along... :-)
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 07:40 AM UTC
Sounds like a great wife Ken. Does she have a sister?

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
Excellent idea Ken! Got to check that out myself.

Tread
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
Since I've been modeling I've learned to look at everything in a store is the light of "Hey, can I use that on my model bench". Like Ken's jewelery chains, check out the different size threads in a sewing or fabric store. Check your local drug store in the finger nail care section. Those foamcore nail files are great. Need a small section, or a special shape. Just cut it to fit. Stop in a fishing tackle store. They sell lead wire in various diameters. Just great for wiring headlights on your model. In the plastic section of Wally World (Walmart) all kinds of storage for parts. I picked up one of those compartmented round things that are sold for vegetables and dip. Holds all kinds of stuff. When you are out with momma, keep you eyes open.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 12:05 PM UTC
Ken - I use Builders In Scale brand chains. You can find these at model railroader shops. They come in black already, and several different sizes that work very well in 1:35th scale. They're inexpensive too.

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
Thanks Gunnie, I was aware of those too, but the only hobby store in town never seems to have em in stock!!! Which is why I was looking at their scale ship's section. The chains there are very, very nice just too darn expensive.
Just glad to say someone in my house knew of another path.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 06:40 PM UTC
Ken;
Just like Pipesmoke I'm always looking for things taht I could use in modelling role, and I bought chains like you just did, several years ago and my supply still last for double of this.
Cheers! And keep your eyes wide open next time you go shopping on the Market place.
 _GOTOTOP